Returning to hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_kayla_x

Reaction score
Hi All

I am 25 years old and an NVQ Level 2 hairdresser. Unfortunately, I only lasted about a year on the floor before I left and decided to go into event management. I left around 5 years ago and havent done much hair since, except a few cuts and colours here and there.

I'm not sure what happened really, I was so passionate starting out and used to read hair magazines all day and night. I just don't think I was in the right environment and I became burnt out and completely uninspired. I was actually very angry with the whole industry for a long time, although I have grown up (a bit :p) since then and can see I should have got myself out of that specific situation and looked for a different salon, instead of throwing in the towel completely.

Anyway, over the last few months I have finally started to feel "it" returning. I don't know what to call it, "the spark", "creativity", "interest in hair", etc. The feeling you get when you see someones hair and start to think of what you would do to make it better. I havent had this feeling since I quit and I am so excited its back!

Now the hard part is trying to get back into the industry. I leave to go to Spain in April for 6 months, so I don't have to do anything immediately. I have thought about it and I think a good path for me would be to do the Wahl Solid Foundation 2 day barbering course this month, as I never did mens hair and I am hoping I will be able to do a few mens cuts each day in Spain on my colleagues, to build my confidence in my weakest area. Then, when I return to London, I would do a colour refresher course. I am still quite confident in my cutting, so will probably just buy a training head and practice a few bobs and graduation cuts on that.

If anyone has returned to hairdressing after a break, please let me know how you went about it. Or if you have any advice on how I would get myself back into a salon when I return from Spain, it would be much appreciated. I am extremely aware that I only have a years experience on the floor and then quite a large gap, so I'm not sure how I will approach employers.

Kayla xx

I haven't returned after a break and haven't any advise just wanted to say just go for it and good luck :) glad you got the spark back :D x
Michelle

Hi Michelle

Thanks very much! I'm really excited to be getting back into it all again x

Hi, I went back into hairdressing after I had my little boy, I was still doing friends but wanted to go mobile and felt that as offering a service I wanted to refresh my skills and make sure I was up to date with new colour products and trends x like you graduated bobs were something I felt I need refreshing especially x I completed a 5 week refresher course and although sometimes I stood there thinking, I can do this already it was great and really boosted my confidence.

The more hairdressing I took on from there the more confident I became, go for it! And good luck x

I had a break from hair when I had my kids (still did family though). i decided to go back to college and do level 3 to update and refresh everything. It brought back all the knowledge i 'thought' I had forgotten and my passion now is stronger than ever before. Colour correction was also something i new nothing about so glad I learned that side. I went mobile for a few years having felt confident enough to do it and have just started renting a salon myself but i miss having someone to work alongside with. Go with it and good luck x

Thank you both for your advice! I never thought about my level 3 but this may be a good option. I guess I need to compare both options :)

I don't think I'm ready to go mobile yet, but that is my goal eventually xx

Hi All

I am 25 years old and an NVQ Level 2 hairdresser. Unfortunately, I only lasted about a year on the floor before I left and decided to go into event management. I left around 5 years ago and havent done much hair since, except a few cuts and colours here and there.

I'm not sure what happened really, I was so passionate starting out and used to read hair magazines all day and night. I just don't think I was in the right environment and I became burnt out and completely uninspired. I was actually very angry with the whole industry for a long time, although I have grown up (a bit :p) since then and can see I should have got myself out of that specific situation and looked for a different salon, instead of throwing in the towel completely.

Anyway, over the last few months I have finally started to feel "it" returning. I don't know what to call it, "the spark", "creativity", "interest in hair", etc. The feeling you get when you see someones hair and start to think of what you would do to make it better. I havent had this feeling since I quit and I am so excited its back!

Now the hard part is trying to get back into the industry. I leave to go to Spain in April for 6 months, so I don't have to do anything immediately. I have thought about it and I think a good path for me would be to do the Wahl Solid Foundation 2 day barbering course this month, as I never did mens hair and I am hoping I will be able to do a few mens cuts each day in Spain on my colleagues, to build my confidence in my weakest area. Then, when I return to London, I would do a colour refresher course. I am still quite confident in my cutting, so will probably just buy a training head and practice a few bobs and graduation cuts on that.

If anyone has returned to hairdressing after a break, please let me know how you went about it. Or if you have any advice on how I would get myself back into a salon when I return from Spain, it would be much appreciated. I am extremely aware that I only have a years experience on the floor and then quite a large gap, so I'm not sure how I will approach employers.

Kayla xx

Hello

I am new to salon geek, just going through all of the posts which relate to me and seeing what's going on.
I started barbering before I left the midlands to go and work in London for 7 years.
I had started a part time apprenticeship in barbering and did have the passion for it while I was in London but just couldn't afford to take it on as a trainee.

Now I am back in the midlands I am at college and working in a barber shop 2 days a week. The rest of the week is just a prelude to when I get to cut hair. I absolutely love it and I am so glad I am biting the bullet and getting back into.

This post is old now so was just wondering if you still have the spark

Latest posts

Back