salon or renting follow up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOE!

Reaction score
hi following my thread last week about salon or renting? would just like to tell you i went to the salon yesterday and the lady who was interviewing me was a right cow to me. She made me out to be stupid and made me think i am crap. i had to perform one hand of nails on someone else who worked there who was lovely. I just had to take my brush and i used all their stuff. They are creative trained. I did my prep which was fine, then when i got to applying my first tip she said it ws too big and gave me a smaller size, it seemed to me it was popping of the nail but applied it anyway. I was pre blending it removing some of the well area, when she asked what i was doing. I told her thats the way i was learned and that the less tip and more product it would be stronger. She said it was wrong and that she applies the tip without pre blending. She said that the nail would very weak the way i done it. I felt like a nutter. When the tips were applied i scrubfreshed again ready to apply my product. I use retention, but she said she didnt because she didnt like it and that it caused lifting, so she made me apply primer and then another liquid which i think was radical or something. So anyway i apllied the product and got ready for finishing. I normally use a tuxedo but they didnt buy any of these from creative, i had to use a red 240 which they got from alon services. I then had to ask what he done next. The smooth side of the koala. I said i used oil with this but she didnt. She kept looking at me funny as though i was stupid and i felt like walking out. Surely everyone has their own way of working? She didnt say buy ar anything and left me standing at the door. I felt so stupid. I have still the chance to rent a table where the ladies are very nice. But now i feel very low about my nails now.
What should i do?
Sorry for the long story!

This lady seems very insecure in herself:evil: . Otherwise she wouldn't have treated you like that. You did everything right and, if there was anything that she thought you were doing wrong, she could have used tact and diplomacy - something she obviously didn't possess.

I have had many bad experiences where I could have easily crumbled (and have for a short time) but dust yourself off, pick yourself up and get on with it. Don't try and find an explanation for the lady's rudeness, etc - there are many like her! Don't dwell on it - that would be wasted energy.

This bad experience may be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps renting the table where you have a good feeling about the other people working there is just meant to be. Go rent that table and be the best! Good luck & keep us posted!

You need to pick yourself up and get along to where the people are nice!! At least you know now that this salon is not for you, if you hadnt gone for the interview you would always have wondered if you had done the right thing....NOW you KNOW........

This salon seems to be a bit behind in their techniques............you are recently qualified and up-to-date in your techniques. Unfortunately your confidence is in need of a boost.....

Of course you size your tips and if it doent fit you size UP and pretailor it to fit....you do not just press on a tip that is too small, this puts to much pressure on the natural nail.........So you were right!

Of course you pretailor and blend the tip...including removing most of the contact area.......because Retention+ is Keratin bonding, therefore you want as much nail plate as possible for it to bond to! The strength is in the product not the tip...the tip is only a canvas for you to work on.......Again you were right!

As regards the monomer liquids, everyone has their preference and some still use Radical monomer...this is recommended for clients who are heavy handed and are prone to cracking and chipping as it creates tough crack resistant enhancements..
Retention+ is recommended for lift prone clients because it covalently bonds giving superior adhesion to the nail.......(you can use acid free primer with Retention+ as it also gives a covalent bond)...... Your right again!!

Also for the product to cure at its optimum time 24 hrs it is advised to buff in solar oil with the 1200 side of your Koala buffer and for your client to use solar oil at least twice within the first 24 hours to help in this plasticising process. .................right again Zoe!

This salon owner should have been taking in all the information you were giving her and realise that maybe things have moved on in this industry since she first trained, and she should go and update her skills.........Unfortunately a lot of salons do stick with the way they were trained when jesus was a boy, but don't let it get you down.
You, from your posts have the right attitude and have already booked courses for your ongoing education, so don't let this set you back.

Get along to where you will fit in...with the nice people...!

Zoe,

Dont feel down about your nails. You no that you were doing the right thing. You obviously take pride in your nails and work to a high standard. It sounds like this lady takes massive shortcuts in her work. This way she cuts down on time and can probably squeeze more clients in.

As for retention plus causing lifting????????? It sounds like its her prep that would cause the lifiting.

My advise would be if you didn't feel comfortable at the interview and that she would force you to work in a shoddy cutting corners way, perhaps you would be best not to work there. You want to enjoy doing your nails and someone like this will get you down at work and will make you doubt you ability even more.

hope this makes you feel abit better.

Thank you very much ladies, your advice is very much appreciated. The lady was very cocky and thought she knew bwtter than me. But im just going to forget about it and move on. I am going to see the ladies again about renting the table and i think ill just go for that. If you have any tips on this and how to get started would be great aswell.

But thanks for the advice given.x

Latest posts

Back