Salon owners help :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteffiMc

Reaction score
Hi all just wanted a bit of advice really, I've recently moved away from the salon I done my training in after only being qualified for just under a year, I am currently doing bits of mobile hairdressing but it's really not what I want to do as I don't have the confidence or experience I need(not that I've had any complaints as of yet). I'm 25 and only qualified to level 2, can't go to full time college as my nearest college is about 20 miles away and hubby needs the car for work 15 miles away. And my little girl needs dropped off and picked up from school, can't afford to pay a childminder as I don't have that many clients mobile as I have just started. I've just been turned down by the only salon looking as they want a senior stylist, what can I possibly do to make hiring me seem more appealing to employers?? I'd work my fingers to the bone(literally) given half a chance :-(. Really feel I'm at a lost cause here. ANY ADVICE AT ALL APPRECIATED :-( thanks xx

Actually anyone help :-/ xx

Do unpaîd voluntary work in salons. This may help build your skills, confidence and employability. U based in Glasgow yeh?

Ok this may sound unconventional, but i want you to make sure you grab yourself a portfolio of your best work and keep a camera handy for every mobile, friend, volunteer you find. Even on hair blocks, try out styles colour cuts etc. Then go to the salons and present yourself that way. Give yourself confidence and pride in your own work. Then depending on what brand you use mostly, go on some extra course, this maybe able to help as they tend to be one day to a couple of days, theory and practical. (id recommend l'oreal, matrix, wella, paul mitchell, sasson, toni guy etc) hths good luck xoxo

Do unpaîd voluntary work in salons. This may help build your skills, confidence and employability. U based in Glasgow yeh?

No Hun I'm from Ayrshire but down in Dorset at the minute, I've rang a few asking bout voluntary but no1 in the area seems interested, I mean it's free labour!!! It's really frustrating as I feel I really do good considering I was rushed through training, I had a level 3 apprentice asking me for advice while I was still training as she hadn't done her level 2 in a salon. Xx

Ok this may sound unconventional, but i want you to make sure you grab yourself a portfolio of your best work and keep a camera handy for every mobile, friend, volunteer you find. Even on hair blocks, try out styles colour cuts etc. Then go to the salons and present yourself that way. Give yourself confidence and pride in your own work. Then depending on what brand you use mostly, go on some extra course, this maybe able to help as they tend to be one day to a couple of days, theory and practical. (id recommend l'oreal, matrix, wella, paul mitchell, sasson, toni guy etc) hths good luck xoxo

Thank you, I was thinking of trying to get on as many little cutting and colouring courses as possible after Xmas for new skills and confidence building. I will do that portfolio it's a really good idea!! It's just my short hair cutting I absolutely crap myself when I turn up and they have short hair, I always do good but panic that when another hairdresser does it they'll be like oh who buchered this last :o xx thank you guys so much xx

also instead of ringing (this drives me nuts as I get loads then just ring and the answer is always a no) get yourself ready so you look the part, take your portfolio and go into the salon and sell yourself :) I love it when a junior can actually be bothered to to do this oh and make sure your hair and make up is done etc as I've had a few that have come to my salon looking a state?! and before they even got to the reception the answer was a no!

also instead of ringing (this drives me nuts as I get loads then just ring and the answer is always a no) get yourself ready so you look the part, take your portfolio and go into the salon and sell yourself :) I love it when a junior can actually be bothered to to do this oh and make sure your hair and make up is done etc as I've had a few that have come to my salon looking a state?! and before they even got to the reception the answer was a no!

Ee god I wouldn't dare go in looking a mess lol. Ok so go in rather than ring! I might just get myself all ready and go around them all in one day, I think with Christmas being a busy time now is my chance! I've got a few mobile ones for now so I'll get a bit more portfolio stuff done over the next week and then get going, I hate doing hair at home with only a little exp and don't think mobile is for me anyway I love being in a salon!! Thank you xx

Latest posts

Back