Self employed beauty therapist on a percentage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh what an awful situation Glam tree! I thought mine was bad although the lady at mine has said before that she thinks my prices are fine and I don't need to change them, I was really baffled she just came out with that. I was thinking well I haven't asked your opinion but obviously she was looking at my prices and going to suggest otherwise if she thought so.
I printed off the above hmrc info today and paced in my room feeling sick about talking to her about it then I ran out of time as my next client came in. I don't want to upset her but also can't find a nice way of saying "you can't tell me what to do/when to come in etc"
Not sure if it's worth mentioning she has no experience of business has in the last 4 months been a qualified hair dresser and is 20 years old. I don't mind the age it's just the silly ideas and things she says that she thinks she can push me around on. I have been fine there all this time until now [emoji53]

That's a horrible situation Glam tree. Unfortunately the longer you don't challenge her behaviour, the more it will become established!!

She could put anything in a contract...that doesn't mean it's legally enforceable, even if you have signed it.!

Of course she is going to tell you it's been legally checked out by her dad, of course she's going to tell you that you are self employed, of course she's going to tell you she can set your prices, offer discounts and throw out your vouchers.!!!

You need to get advice.. or soon she will be telling when you can go on holiday, what hours you have to work, what products to use, what treatments to do......

Is she discounting your treatments? so you are getting less money for your work? ..you should check out how much money you have lost on her 'discounts' and ask for it to be taken off your rent!

Report her to HMRC and find somewhere new to rent.
If you're self employed and paying your own tax, there's no way that contract is enforceable.
It should only state details about the actual room rental.
It cannot nclude anything regarding your client details, what prices you charge, what services you offer,...etc.

Take your client details and start afresh in the New Year.

I'm about to have a meeting with a salon owner about renting a room and this post has opened my eyes to so many things I'm gonna have to ask!

Latest posts

Back