Self employed contract/terms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,
I do pretty much the same as you in that i keep all the money but I have one girl who asked me to keep hold of it for her and pay it into her account every 2 weeks so that she doesn't spend her rent.
The other has said to keep it and give her the cash on a Saturday but she only does 2 days a week.
I have one starting next month but am very apprehensive because she wants to take her money herself but I don't get enough cash for her to take it when she's taken a card payment so will have to sit and have a chat with her and work something out.

With regards to payment - I charge my hairdressers 40% rent as I supply everything and the nail tech 25% as she supplies her own products.

I dont have a contract but I make it clear that I'd like atleast one hairdresser in at a time and ask that I have someone there to open and someone to close.
Its working so far, we just sort it between us as and when. We all get on really well so that's a big plus.
Hope this makes sense/helps.
Good luck.x

Thankyou Salonfrog, so their maybe still a way.
My head was spinning last night and wondering if I'm doing the right thing.
Ideally I did want self employed hairdressers and then employed beauty therapists, maybe only to start with and I am beauty myself and I have a very experienced hairdressers wanting to come on board but ideally she only wanted to be self employed so I need to find a way to make it work. She would be great to have in the salon. As someone said earlier it's hard enough to find staff so if I have this great lady then want to do what I can to have her with me.

x

I was told by my accountant that self employed must take their own cash or have their own card machines, then you invoice them for their daily or weekly rent/commission. You cannot set their prices, although you can give them a 'realm' of where it should not drop below, if you work on a commission basis, as you would typically be supplying stock, and you need to be covering a minimum cost. I also don't have s/e pricelists on display. They are usually not registered for vat, therefor some of their prices may be quite a bit less than mine and I don't want salon clients thinking they are being overcharged by my staff. Most s/e clients would message them direct for appointments anyway, so they can check prices then.

I was told by my accountant that self employed must take their own cash or have their own card machines,

I would check back with your accountant since Section 4 of the HMRC/NHF agreement specifically allows central collection of amounts.

@Lpolky If you do go down this route, make sure your accounting system is set up so that monies you collect on behalf of your s/e renters is not recorded as your income, but instead as amounts owed to your renters.

Thankyou salonfrog yes will definitely make sure.
Really trying to move my meeting with my accountant to this week so we can discuss. Fingers crossed all comes together.

Hey,
I do pretty much the same as you in that i keep all the money but I have one girl who asked me to keep hold of it for her and pay it into her account every 2 weeks so that she doesn't spend her rent.
The other has said to keep it and give her the cash on a Saturday but she only does 2 days a week.
I have one starting next month but am very apprehensive because she wants to take her money herself but I don't get enough cash for her to take it when she's taken a card payment so will have to sit and have a chat with her and work something out.

With regards to payment - I charge my hairdressers 40% rent as I supply everything and the nail tech 25% as she supplies her own products.

I dont have a contract but I make it clear that I'd like atleast one hairdresser in at a time and ask that I have someone there to open and someone to close.
Its working so far, we just sort it between us as and when. We all get on really well so that's a big plus.
Hope this makes sense/helps.
Good luck.x

Hi Missy

Sorry only just re read your message. So do you take all the money cash and card? So goes through your till?

I would check back with your accountant since Section 4 of the HMRC/NHF agreement specifically allows central collection of amounts.

I know 'strictly speaking' you can, but my accountant felt it keeps more of a definative line between the s/e and the salon business. It means there's no quibbling with the vat man at a later date over who earned what and also keeps a line between s/e and salon staff when it comes to anyone later querying who is employed.

Hi Missy

Sorry only just re read your message. So do you take all the money cash and card? So goes through your till?

All the card goes through my account as they don't have their own card machines.
We don't have a till as such, just a cash drawer. So they declare their own takings, I declare my own and then I hand them their cash as stated.

Latest posts

Back