Self employed in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyyt03

Reaction score
so Iv recently started in this new hair salon, I'm and self employed as a nail technician at 50/50.
I worked there today as expected it was slow. I found myself doing jobs for the hair dressers bearing in mind I do not get paid hourly just what treatments I do. I'm not sure what to do.
It's a tiny salon difficult to swing a cat and your climbing over stuff constantly. And I don't think the nail stool/table is going to be sufficient. As of yet there has been no advertising of the salon just hair clients over from the other salon transferred I feel like Iv made the wrong decision on this one. She wants me to be in the salon to catch any walk ins but I feel like I'm wasting my time sitting and waiting.
Shall I wait it out or just quit while I'm ahead as wasting my time.
I should point out in April I started my own mobile beauty business from scratch. (I took the job thinking it will give me more leads as I only do nails in the hair salon)

I think you may have walked in alittle blind.

If there's no advertising how are you going to get new clients. Catching those who come in for hair are going to be 1/10 who might use you.

You need a rethink, and a heart to heart talk with the owner. It's got to be a mutually benifitual agreement between you pair or it won't work.

Don't be afraid to walk, it's your life

I think you (and the salon owner?) have misunderstood the nature of self employment on a 50/50 basis.
If you're self employed, it's 100% up to you to get your business going.
You need to be promoting your business all the time, handing out flyers, offering mini treatments to the hair clients, putting up posters in the window.
The salon owner is just your landlord providing the space you rent and ultimately, it's your opportunity to have a base for your clients to return to.
I would expect for 50/50, that she's providing additional services such as products/telephone/reception services etc. otherwise it's usually 60/40 or 70/30 to you if you're only getting a desk to rent.
Maybe you need to have a re-think about the arrangement and another discussion with the owner?

I think 50/50 is a really bad split to start with. They shouldn't be getting you to help the hairdressers if you are only doing nails, their job isn't your problem. I rent a room in a salon, i just pay a weekly rent. Its your business they shouldnt have any part in yours and you shouldnt have any part in theirs. You should be doing all your own advertising and getting your own clients. She shouldn't be telling you when you can and cant be in the salon, you are self employed, you should be working your own hours. You need to talk to her and make it clear you work for yourself, not her. If she doesnt make the changes i would leave xx

I work in a salon as a self employed beautician, we use to do a 50/50 split, at the time i ran under the name as the salon too, so i appeared to some clients perhaps as an employee. Now ive moved into a different room and only pay them a fix rent each month. So i now have my own sign on my treatment room door, price lists, logo, facebook page, website, own products i want to use, reatail stand with what i want to sell. Im complelty seperate now, the only thing I use in the salon is the phone, we still use one big appointment book and the kettle! As for doing little jobs for the other's we all muck in and help as even though we are all now self employed (hair dressers and beautician) we still see wach other as collegues and friends and use the salon as a bit of a umbrella so to speak which we all work under but on our own terms and at the end of the day the standard of the salon's effcincy and appearance falls on each individual, lasting impressions are made on clients by the last thing they saw, so if say if youre not busy, man reception, get clients a brew, sweep the floor, put the towels away, its got nothing to do with the status of your employmemt, its just all part of working in a salon as a team. If they go round expecting you to do this, then thats the time to say, well i dont mind but i dont want to start turning into a glorifed assistant and i make my own hours, but thats on you then to get yourself busy. I was mobile before i went into the salon and i much prefer being in a salon but its good to have them clients on the side to keep you going. Best thing i found was going through the salon's diary each morning, telling which hair dresser and which client id have time to do a set of nails or brows while they have their colour on or after their blow drys for a lower amount and then giving them my card afterwards. Also clients like that they can have their hair n beauty done all in one visit, just think outside the box and get some flyers and cards printed and get your name around and you'll do great. I wouldnt give up yet, just have another chat anout expectations and if it still doesnt feel right then leave.

so Iv recently started in this new hair salon, I'm and self employed as a nail technician at 50/50.
I worked there today as expected it was slow. I found myself doing jobs for the hair dressers bearing in mind I do not get paid hourly just what treatments I do. I'm not sure what to do.
It's a tiny salon difficult to swing a cat and your climbing over stuff constantly. And I don't think the nail stool/table is going to be sufficient. As of yet there has been no advertising of the salon just hair clients over from the other salon transferred I feel like Iv made the wrong decision on this one. She wants me to be in the salon to catch any walk ins but I feel like I'm wasting my time sitting and waiting.
Shall I wait it out or just quit while I'm ahead as wasting my time.
I should point out in April I started my own mobile beauty business from scratch. (I took the job thinking it will give me more leads as I only do nails in the hair salon)

I have just been in the same situation!! I was self employed yet when it was slow I was expected to help out and approach customers offering free services to get interest. Not sayin that is a terrible idea but like you say, you're not paid hourly so it should be up to you what you do and don't do. I felt really uncomfortable and felt that a hair salon wasn't the best place for my business. I re started from home and soon having my own beauty room and I have never been busier! X

Thank you for all your replys!
Yes both me and the salon owner are both new to this
She told me she would do advitising for me covering a wide area this is yet to happen. As I said I'm not sure I completely thought this all through.
I do have my own mobile/home business that started in April and I thought if I done the nail 50/50 self employed job it would get me more clients.
Iv left it as I'm going to just come in if there's any clients for me in! Which is good for me but only catch is obvs booking both clients in.
Thanks for your replys they have helped a lot xx

Latest posts

Back