Self employed stylists/beauticians

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
😂 diddnt hide anything then! Pointless that was lol

Well taking advantage of desperate people, is nothing to brag about. If the only replies your having are from the unemployed,then that alone speaks volumes, maybe your offer is not so appealing to the less desperate therapists out there.
How dare you?You really have no idea what you're talking about and yet you're inthe "Bizzness Section" Firstly, I am in London and I only charge £120, where even the shabbiest of places charge £150 or or some of you charge daily rates which on a weekly baseis is significantly more. Secondly, my place is fully equipped. Thirdly, I share profit with the staff (and HMRC does not say you cannot do this as i know you guys love to quote HMRC for everything) and lastly, Ido marketing, promotion, website, social media, credit cards, online bookings etc.
Don't tar or belittle anyone else based on what you're used to, and don't think you're adequate enough to judge me or how i run my business.

If I share MY profit with YOU where does that leave us with regards to the tax man? Is it a gift from me to you? Or a share of my profit? Or how else do you all declare this extra income?

The thing is my business is nothing to do with yours the same as the self employed staffs businesses are nothing to do with yours?

certain posts suggesting , charging room rental plus commission. It was pointed out it was unfair to charge both. If you rent space/room the salon you are renting off is just your landlord, and should have no say in the running of your business. Some posts have been deleted, can not imagine why ? I personally think charging room rent , then wanting to take a % of their takings as well, is unfair to say the least. I honestly think a certain poster is either very deluded or just replying to posts to wind people up. x
Arghhh Liubbylou, I can see we're going to be friends :)
I am not in the slightest deluded. I am doing this, purely from a business point of view. Irrespective of what you think about it or if you think it's morally fair or not as long as it's legal and all parties are happy. Is it morally fair that the salon owner should close (and many are) because the rent charge is not enough,? Is it morally fair that "self-employed" staff should constantly have to look for new place to conduct "their business" because the salon has closed? Why cant each party pay a respectable investment and share in the growth and profitability of the business? what is so morally wrong with this?
You may not like it as you've never been a part of it, but that does not make it wrong, morally or otherwise.

Because then your technically "partners" omg this thread is so stupid

If I share MY profit with YOU where does that leave us with regards to the tax man? Is it a gift from me to you? Or a share of my profit? Or how else do you all declare this extra income?

The thing is my business is nothing to do with yours the same as the self employed staffs businesses are nothing to do with yours?

The problem is too many "self-employed" are getting to egotistical" about their "business". Being self employed and running a business are two very different things. How many post on here of "self-employed complaining about the rent they are charge, the customer complaining, the shop owner not allowing them to advertise, or use the loo or what ever? yet on the very next post they get on their high horse about "their business and how they are "self employed and can do what they want, when they want" It has to be give and take (within the law) and if I decide to share my profits with staff, then that's my TAX issues to deal with, but in the long run, I believe they'll be happier staying with me. Either way, it's a different business model. You may not like it, but there is no reason to belittle or accuse anyone else of taking advantage or anything. If all parties are happy then what precisely is the problem?

Because then your technically "partners" omg this thread is so stupid

Why shouldn't we be partners? You have a service that I need, I have a location that you need? It's ok for Waitrose and Ocado? or Amazon and Royal Mail? or BT and Sky? but not for "self-employed" and the Salon owner?

Maybe i'm in the wrong place, thought this was the Business Geek.

I think it is time this thread got closed . x

Is sharing the profits with someone technically paying them for their services?
Like Amazon/Royal Mail, Waitrose/Ocado, Sky/BT?

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

The problem is too many "self-employed" are getting to egotistical" about their "business". Being self employed and running a business are two very different things. How many post on here of "self-employed complaining about the rent they are charge, the customer complaining, the shop owner not allowing them to advertise, or use the loo or what ever? yet on the very next post they get on their high horse about "their business and how they are "self employed and can do what they want, when they want" It has to be give and take (within the law) and if I decide to share my profits with staff, then that's my TAX issues to deal with, but in the long run, I believe they'll be happier staying with me. Either way, it's a different business model. You may not like it, but there is no reason to belittle or accuse anyone else of taking advantage or anything. If all parties are happy then what precisely is the problem?

How are self employed people called staff?

It's like saying my stylist is happy to work for £2.50 an hour, it keeps my business going, she stays in a job, it's works for us, so what's wrong with that.

Basically in short your saying why can't you do what you like if it means keeping your business open- well it's simple- because you don't make the rules up.

Laws are there to protect the industry against people like you.

Also another person stupidly spouting their business on a public forum where we can see what salon it is.

Why shouldn't we be partners? You have a service that I need, I have a location that you need? It's ok for Waitrose and Ocado? or Amazon and Royal Mail? or BT and Sky? but not for "self-employed" and the Salon owner?

Amazon provides the products for the Royal Mail to deliver.

A salon owner provides the space for rent, the therapist delivers the service.

That's generally how it works. They are still two separate business entities and there's no shared profits to divvy up.

Sorry, but I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

You have no staff if they are self employed, you have tenants , that is the difference. You should not be taking their clients payments with your card machine. None of your posts make sense to be honest, i really do not think you know what you are talking about. You either rent out space to a self employed therapist and charge accordingly or you employ someone. That should not be to difficult to understand. Why you would share your profits with your tenants is beyond me. That makes no sense at all, but then again neither does any of your posts .

Omg! Because then your partners! That's different again to self employed! Do u seriously expect amazon to call up a seller that uses their site and say hey I made £60 bazillions pounds this year here you go here's a million for you? Who's paying tax on that!? And in what structure?

It's simple really....you get paid by 1 person who sets working hours and job you're employed..
You take your own money, set your own hours and pay rent, you're self employed...
You get called in to do a paid job with an invoice on an adhoc basis, you're a sub contactor..
I'd you split your money, each pay half of every bill and expense, both have a joint say in the running of a business, your partners..

Kahuna, if you find a seller on amazon who does this, please forward then to me too please :D can do with a round the world cruise

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

I am a sole trader who rents out to a self employed stylist and a self employed beautician, I completely encourage them to build their businesses! I am LEGALLY obliged to tell ALL my customers that they are self employed! How rude of you to think my stylist or beautician are being egotistical by being very proud of the businesses they have worked VERY hard to build! Each of them run their business in it's entirety!! Litteraly every aspect of their business is run soley by them.

You say about the self employed on this site complaining about how they are treated within their salons with not being able to advertise or do what they want when they want? Read the replies!!!! It's against the law!!!!

You might need to share your profits with your staff in order for them to want to stay with you but I can assure you MY staff stay with me because I follow rules to a tee! They feel completey secure in every aspect of their work life and feel completely encouraged to do their very best for their own pride! I build people up not manipulate or boss people around!

In essence our business models are actually very similar, and I know ill still be trading with full confidence after an audit by hmrc, can you guarantee the same??

Every post you have put up has been challenged by geeks who are EQUAL to you and your business model or have worked within the same business model yet you choose to ignore all the warnings we given! More fool you I say! I'm ready for the government clamp down on self employed salons, I suggest you re read this whole thread and other similar ones on this website and ask yourself if you are? I wouldn't like to see your self employed staff without a place of work for the sake of some one like you who thinks their above the law

It's simple really....you get paid by 1 person who sets working hours and job you're employed..
You take your own money, set your own hours and pay rent, you're self employed...
You get called in to do a paid job with an invoice on an adhoc basis, you're a sub contactor..
I'd you split your money, each pay half of every bill and expense, both have a joint say in the running of a business, your partners..

Kahuna, if you find a seller on amazon who does this, please forward then to me too please :D can do with a round the world cruise

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

You've completey explained it all there khs!

I bet Sheel still get on her high horse now tho 😂 I'm going to get involved with all the above companies, they share ther profits apparantly! Yay I'll be rich!

certain posts suggesting , charging room rental plus commission. It was pointed out it was unfair to charge both. If you rent space/room the salon you are renting off is just your landlord, and should have no say in the running of your business. Some posts have been deleted, can not imagine why ? I personally think charging room rent , then wanting to take a % of their takings as well, is unfair to say the least. I honestly think a certain poster is either very deluded or just replying to posts to wind people up. x

I'll be honest with you and this is just my opinion, but i have been in business a long long time. I dont see a problem charging room rental & commission IF it suits both parties. The problem i have with renting a room is that generally the therapist doesnt want to pay anything. Ive seen some moan about paying £20 per day. Well if i was renting a room i wouldnt charge anything less than £50 per day. Im not a charity and im in the business to make money. Why would i give a room away for £20 per day (£100 per week); ive been here 20 years and extremely established, with a prominent location and the potential to earn loads of money. Where room rental & commission works for both is if charging a low room rental, say £10 per day or whatever and the % of takings. That way idf the therapist doesnt have anyone in it is only costing here £10 per day, as opposed to say £30. As for someone renting a room off me and me having a say how they run it, too bloody right. I have areputation to think of x

I'll be honest with you and this is just my opinion, but i have been in business a long long time. I dont see a problem charging room rental & commission IF it suits both parties. The problem i have with renting a room is that generally the therapist doesnt want to pay anything. Ive seen some moan about paying £20 per day. Well if i was renting a room i wouldnt charge anything less than £50 per day. Im not a charity and im in the business to make money. Why would i give a room away for £20 per day (£100 per week); ive been here 20 years and extremely established, with a prominent location and the potential to earn loads of money. Where room rental & commission works for both is if charging a low room rental, say £10 per day or whatever and the % of takings. That way idf the therapist doesnt have anyone in it is only costing here £10 per day, as opposed to say £30. As for someone renting a room off me and me having a say how they run it, too bloody right. I have areputation to think of x

If they respected you at all they'd behave appropriately anyway without being told how to run it, all the money in the world dosent buy you respect #jussaying

Yes Chesire girl i agree some what, but that is why you do not have self employed therapists, you employ them . Just charge the rent you require be it £20, £50 or £100 a day, That way it is fair. If you rent space out you really have no say in what that therapist does she is not working for you, your are just her landlord/lady. And would you share your profits with your tenants ? seems like a very odd statement.

Latest posts

Back