Self-employed vs. employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkSwoon

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been thinking about this for weeks! What are the pro's & con's of being employed/self-employed? Views from salon owners & nail techs alike would be brilliant, just trying to weigh them up because I want to open a salon but the thought of having to pay someone a wage but not being able to among other things is daunting! Hopefully I can make a comprehensive list & this thread can be sticky'd.

I think a pro of being employed is that you all feel more connected as a team which is obviously better for the business. Then from the other side of the coin me as a Manager would feel more responsibility for my staff like paying their wages, recording time sheets, rotas etc

I, as a tech, prefer self-employed positions. I prefer to rent as oppose to working on commission as no matter what amount I make, I still pay the same amount to the owner each week. I like that I work on my own time, handle my own bookings and money (big plus because I've had some really terrible experiences with bosses badly booking me and not paying me), and can take off on vacation when I want. The only con is the vacations aren't paid for, and I don't get things like maternity leave. From a salon owner's perspective, I can see how this might not be ideal as self-employed staff members may not always bond well, but it works well in multi-service salons like beauty & nail salon, hair & beauty salon, ect because the staff aren't stepping over each other's toes to get clients.

I can also see why someone would prefer an employed position as it's stable pay, unlike a self-employed position where you only get paid if you have clients that day. And you don't have to worry about saving your receipts and things for the tax man.

Bump. Can a mod please move this to biz?

Latest posts

Back