Shellac removal issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz Pinkies

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm having a few issues removing shellac, in that it's taking so long to soak (using Express5) and then most of the time the colour comes off but occasionally there is base coat residue left or even some faint residue of colour left on the nail which is so hard to remove. Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

I'm saturating a foil wrap, wrapping the nail up for 10 minutes in most cases as the 5 minutes they recommend just isn't enough. Whilst waiting I'm ensuring the wraps are still in place and even massaging the pad onto the nail to encourage removal! And I still have these issues. It's really quite embarrassing and is taking me a good half hour to remove them and on occasions I end up re wrapping some nails that are stubborn!

I did buy those pro tip clips too as i had been recommended using those with cotton pads so I tried those on myself and my fingers went so cold and the polish didn't come off!

Any help and advice will be gratefully received! Thanks.

Hi Kaz.. Would it be possible that you are 'over curing' the base coat?
When I did my shellac training the trainer said that curing the base coat for anymore than 10 seconds would over cute the base coat and it would be more difficult to remove and be left with a residue.

Hi Anna. No definitely only curing for 10 seconds. [emoji17]

You need to make sure the wrap is saturated with remover. It dries out over time. Also use a heated wheat bag or mitts and make sure they are tightly wrapped.

Try using the pro tip clips again. I find they give a good close contact to the nail.
I use a lint pad wetted with nourishing remover under the clip. These worked better than cotton wool pads for me.
Timings from wrapping tenth finger:
Normal two coat colour -6 mins - unwrap first finger
Two coats plus glitter - 10 mins
Double top coat - 10 mins
I always use express5 top coat

Takes me 6 mins to make their coffee!

Thanks for your comments. I do saturate the pad in remover as its literally dripping. Could I use the pro tip clips over the foils to ensure a snug fit or shouldn't that be needed? I can try a lint pad instead of cotton pads.
I do struggle more with clients who have had shellac on for 3 weeks or longer so should I be increasing the soaking time the longer they are wearing it? Thanks ladies.

Hi,

Never tried using the clips on top of the foils but as you have already spent money on them, well worth a go I think!

Clients that go 3-4 weeks before removal - Yes, I give them an extra few minutes (make coffee & discuss colours!)

When I have had a client that has had several layers of gel, art & stickers etc sometimes I do a double wrap. For this I soak for about 7 mins, unwrap, remove what i can, then wrap back up. By the time you have done all 10 the first time you can go straight back to the first finger and get the last bits off. Yes, this takes more time but I would rather do this than scrape the nail. Also, if they have full nail art on they will have paid my top price of £30 for their set so it's included really.
;)

I had this problem when I first started & it was down to my base coat being too thick. Base coat needs to look almost non existent, how do your apply yours? xx

I use a warming soak off tray and it comes off like a dream
image.png

I occasionally have this, normally with a few clients who have had their shellac on for 3 weeks plus & not used any oil so their nails are quite dried out or anyone whose nails are quite ridged & any product residue normally sits in the ridges. After I've followed correct product removal if I have this, here's what I do, saturate a pad in acetone & rub like your taking off a normal polish, works like a dream. You'll find it'll hardly need to rub at all as the remaining product is already saturated with acetone from wrapping & is pretty much dissolved anyway! HTH Xx

Do you wrap in the same foil again or use a new one? How long does is generally take for removal?
Base coat - I am hoping I am applying it thin enough.
How does the warming soak off tray work - is that to soak the nails in remover instead of wrapping?
I use a plastic backed lint free wipe to try to remove excess base coat and I'm sometimes there forever rubbing it so maybe it hasn't had long enough to soak....thx x

Latest posts

Back