Shellac sample colour chart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good thread Claire. I too tried the navy colour and it looked nothing like the swatch colour chart.

I reckon CND Additives are the way to go! :):):)

x mona

Thanks for all your replies. I think what frustrates me is that several of the colours are pretty much spot on on there. Like number 40 for example, hot pop pink with hot chillies layered, it comes out pretty exact (thank goodness because it has been my most popular colour choice this summer, did it again on someone last night!). Then the colours as stand alone aren't that far off either but the other layered colours are nothing like the chart.

So I think what I might do, is tell my clients not to pay attention to the last few colours on the chart, as they are nothing like the finished result and will do my own colour pops of layered colours. Like I say, I like the professional look of the sample chart, so don't want to stop using it all together.

Rinn - when the chart was first launched, it was said that the blank ones were for us to add our own options on there. Can't be done though :wink2:

Yes Planky had a lady also asking for that colour from the swatch, I only tried one finger and she didn't like it so had to re do :-(

for those that love the color 41 on the chart, I managed to achieve it :) , i used 1coat M&R, 1coat Vexed Violette ,1coat M&R, color looks pretty darn close to the sample chart :D x

i dont actually use the colour chart anymore as clients kept asking for colours that i dont have!! so i have my own colour wheels, and have done one with the colours i have and another with layered colours i have done.

i dont know off the top of my head what colour 41 is but when you said a pinky sort of colour i immediately thought of asphalt layered with M+R which gives a lovely pinky purple sort of colour.

also when you are layering you dont always have to do 2 coats of the first colour, it depends what sort of coverage you get from your first layer and what sort of look you are going for. Say for example you wanted a darker red then you could either do one layer of black pool or 2 and then wildfire over the top depends how dark you want the colour. If you didnt want it too dark but not as bright as wildfire is then you could put rubble underneath instead and again could try 1 or 2 layers of rubble depending on look you go for. I just found that i had to sit and play with colours until i figured what worked and what didnt

hth

The shellac on the colour charts is painted onto clear plastic, surely this is why the colours don't match 100%?

Just saying :) xx

The shellac on the colour charts is painted onto clear plastic, surely this is why the colours don't match 100%?

Just saying :) xx

I paint my shellac onto clear plastic colour pops and the chart doesn't vaguely match those. Some do but some are poles apart x

Think my point is being missed. I know how to do layering and how to get dark and lighter shades but no matter how it's done using the colours it states, number 41 can't be achieved how they say to do it. This also has nothing to do with it being on plastic, it's an entirely different colour. Souz-thanks but this is one I do a lot and isn't the same as number 41 on the chart.

I think what has actually happened is the wrong base colour has been listed on the reverse, as there is no way that colour can be achieved using the purple purple as the base, its too pink with no purple tone whatsoever.

Jenski, I will give that a go. For now I have put a sticker over that particular sample until I can work out how to get it! Thanks for updating, will have a go this week :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Last edited:
Claire, another point to add from me. The CND colour chart fits my lamp but obviously now the whole length but I can always turn it around. I added the Shellac Fall 2012 Collection and Holiday duo to it.

Added my new ones on there too but it's still very awkward, it's a VERY tight fit if putting the whole thing, fortunately I only had 5 to cure, so managed to fit it in on the angle but think the design could have been better thought out and made a touch smaller in terms of width, as you risk scraping the colours off when it goes in the lamp if you are putting the whole thing in.

I also painted my colours on the same way that they have been done, so from the underneath, they look really good done that way

I wish I had read this thread before this moment.

My first client wanted to try number 45 (I think) Blackpool and Negligee.

I did 2 layers of Blackpool as 1 is too streaky and would look horrid with Negligee over it.

Absolutely nothing like the colour chart.

Thie final colour was black and if you turned the nail in certain lights it looked blue.

Very lovely. But not as stated.

Irritating to say the least.

I wish I had read this thread before this moment.

My first client wanted to try number 45 (I think) Blackpool and Negligee.

I did 2 layers of Blackpool as 1 is too streaky and would look horrid with Negligee over it.

Absolutely nothing like the colour chart.

Thie final colour was black and if you turned the nail in certain lights it looked blue.

Very lovely. But not as stated.

Irritating to say the least.

Yes this is a tricky one too and haven't been able to get it 'as' blue but have found if I do the Negligee a touch thicker than normal (obviously not too thick still or it'll wrinkle) I get a better navy colour. It's all about the Negligee application to how navy it comes out, have got it quite close to the chart colour now. Have another try on a colour pop :hug:

Just had a thought. Yesterday when adding my new colours on the chart, I did them from underneath rather than painting on top, as has been done with all the others and this worked really well and looks neat and matches the look of the rest.

So I wonder on this basis, how the layering has been done. Because if painting the underneath, the layered colour wouldn't show on the top, it would only show underneath. (Hope you're all following me)

So with the navy for example, I wonder if when it was done (dipped or however they do it) whether the Negligee was painted on first, THEN the Blackpool? This would make sense to me as to how the colour is so different to how we get it because we do it differently.

Hope I'm making some sort of sense? I was just thinking to myself, how would I layer from the underneath if I wanted to add my own combos on the chart and it made me think about the above.

Not very helpful as obviously we paint the other way round but it might explain how the layered colours are SO different on the chart.

Sorry to waffle, was thinking out loud :o

Just had a thought. Yesterday when adding my new colours on the chart, I did them from underneath rather than painting on top, as has been done with all the others and this worked really well and looks neat and matches the look of the rest.

So I wonder on this basis, how the layering has been done. Because if painting the underneath, the layered colour wouldn't show on the top, it would only show underneath. (Hope you're all following me)

So with the navy for example, I wonder if when it was done (dipped or however they do it) whether the Negligee was painted on first, THEN the Blackpool? This would make sense to me as to how the colour is so different to how we get it because we do it differently.

Hope I'm making some sort of sense? I was just thinking to myself, how would I layer from the underneath if I wanted to add my own combos on the chart and it made me think about the above.

Not very helpful as obviously we paint the other way round but it might explain how the layered colours are SO different on the chart.

Makes perfect sense! Don't be sorry. All 'waffling' is welcome when it helps us out. :) xx

I'm glad you just explained that one about the layering planky as I was going to give it a try and was confusing myself.

Probably a daft question but did you put a top coat (not necessarily shellac) on after you'd painted the colours to protect them or did you just do two colour coats? So I mean putting the top coat on but last of all so it's underneath? Does that make sense?

I'm glad you just explained that one about the layering planky as I was going to give it a try and was confusing myself.

Probably a daft question but did you put a top coat (not necessarily shellac) on after you'd painted the colours to protect them or did you just do two colour coats? So I mean putting the top coat on but last of all so it's underneath? Does that make sense?

Yes I get you and yes I did a topcoat :D

The colours will 'pool' slightly in the centre because of the dip but I spread it out as best I could and flipped the chart over each time to see what it looked like from the other side, so I could spread bits out more if needed. By the time I did the 5, they seemed to level out anyway. HTH :hug:

Yes I get you and yes I did a topcoat :D

The colours will 'pool' slightly in the centre because of the dip but I spread it out as best I could and flipped the chart over each time to see what it looked like from the other side, so I could spread bits out more if needed. By the time I did the 5, they seemed to level out anyway. HTH :hug:

Hi Planky,

I did mine this way yesterday:0) do you think I could use a lumos topcoat to save my shellac one? Doesn't matter about shine as it is underneath so should work, right?!...x

They're not layered, more like mixed, if you look they are the same colour all the way through, which is why (I think) that they are not a true match!

Hi Planky,

I did mine this way yesterday:0) do you think I could use a lumos topcoat to save my shellac one? Doesn't matter about shine as it is underneath so should work, right?!...x

Yes Lumos will do the job too :) xx

I don't have the colour chart but have made my own. If anyone had a recipe for a navy though I would be VERY grateful, was thinking Blackpool base then M&R might work?

Latest posts

Back