Sick clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basboosah

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This isn't a question about anything technical, but more along the lines of social advice; Ive had sometimes sick clients come to me and before or during treatment proclaim how sick they were.
Im a person who gets sick easily. For example, last week a client came to me with a cold, starting sneezing during the lash application (of course its near my face).. a few days later I developed a horrible cold, I know it came from her because its the middle of the summer, where else could I have caught it from.

How can I politely discourage clients from showing up for appointments when they know they are sick?

You can't I'm afraid. Unfortunately it is part and parcel of the job. Besides you can get sick from anyone at anytime.
I'm not very chuffed when I turn up to an ill client but it's just life snd I too still work when ill.
You will get it in any workplace though.
Go shopping, touch a trolley handle, get nasty hug from it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using SalonGeek mobile app

Roxie you are so right..I just feel like when I lash im inches from their face so its as if in a day im kissing everyone in the school yard lol
I think i may insist clients wear masks if they have anything upper respiratory.

I myself would not deter a client because they have a cold ... if they arrive with any kind of sniffle I excuse myself for a moment from the treatment room and use my 'First Defence' medication to protect myself.

I pay my own mortgage so want the clients to keep their appointments.

If you are not relying on clients to pay your mortgage I guess you can find a way to reschedule them if they are happy to be rescheduled.

Not sure how you would go about advising them of this though ... if my therapist told me not to come for an appointment because I had a cold I would thank them and find another therapist.

Hope you find a solution.

Roxie you are so right..I just feel like when I lash im inches from their face so its as if in a day im kissing everyone in the school yard lol
I think i may insist clients wear masks if they have anything upper respiratory.

I think YOU should wear the mask not the client ... you will find yourself losing clients otherwise.

Unfortunately it's a hazard of the job, I try to use hand sanitisers etc and use Dettol room spray after if a clients been sneezing away, I'm currently laid up with a temperature & shivers due to this 😓 x

It is just part & parcel of the job unfortunately. What I hate is when they come in absolutely full of cold then you get it and are full of it and they say "don't give that to me". I want to shout at them "I got it from you!".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Could you not wear a mask maybe? When I worked as a make up artist in a department store, I had to get up close and personal with customers. It's just one of those things unfortunately x

the obvious response would be for me to wear the mask, of course
but as i work 8-12 hours each day wearing a good mask through that time is unbearable. im sure there are those who do it, trust me ive tried its suffocating beyond bear- its a hot and humid region.
I agree as we work with others we get sick , no way to avoid it. We are just inches from their face. it is really as if you are "kissing" each and every one of them.
I guess Ill just have to gauge who is sick from the get go and wear a mask just for those...thank you all for your thoughtful advice

The masks don't work as effectively unless the sick person is wearing it. Trying to get clients to wear one isn't going to be easy and will probably put people off.

Latest posts

Back