Skin | Meet The Man Who's Standing Up For All Skin Tones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Dr. Carlos Charles is a USA-based dermatologist who's trained at Weill Cornell Medical College-New York Presbyterian Hospital, Memorial Sloan-Ketting Cancer Centre and the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Pretty impressive credentials no? Well, he's also doing groundbreaking clinical research to ensure that skincare products are tested on and appropriate for all skin types and tones.

The beauty industry has shamefully underserved women with darker skin when it comes to colour cosmetics and skin care products and, while some companies have made real steps forward in this area, there is still a woeful lack of understanding of the needs of different tones of skin. It is especially difficult for women with darker skin to find a physician who understands fully how different skin types and tones react to common dermatological procedures and skincare products.

Enter Dr. Carlos Charles. His new practice in the Chelsea neighbourhood of New York City, Derma de Colore is "a comprehensive dermatology practice that addresses the treatment of dermatologic problems of all skin types with an interest in the treatment of darker skin tones." The website notes that he also "conducts national clinical research studies with the goal of finding answers to the toughest questions for dermatologic issues that commonly affect pigmented skin types." This is a pretty rare speciality so it's great news for women with darker skin.

Speaking to fashionista.com, Dr. Carlos Charles had this to say about his new venture.

Why did you start this practice? I haven't seen many dermatologists who specialize in skin tone.

It’s kind of an emerging field in dermatology, and that’s why you probably haven’t come across a lot of dermatologists focusing on darker skin tones. I got interested because I feel like the behavior of darker skin or pigmented skin is very different in terms of how you approach it, especially when you’re using topical products, whether they’re medications or cosmetic products. And a lot of the disease processes can be different and can be very specific to dark skin tones. I thought there was a need. I thought that I could help out a lot, and New York City is, obviously for population reasons, a good place for it.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• MTI4NTI1MDcwNzAzMzE0OTU0.jpg
    MTI4NTI1MDcwNzAzMzE0OTU0.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
Fantastic! It's shameful how the beauty industry marginalises black and asian women.
Makeup choices do seem to be expanding but it is still far behind. This clinic seems great. Its shocking to hear that skin health help and treatments for dermatological problems in women of colour are few and far between too.

Latest posts

Back