Sliced Nail Bed... ouch

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netreg

Reaction score
After some more advice from you more experienced ladies, please......
I have a client who came into see me a day after an accident at work. She just has gel overlays and had managed to slice from the top of her thumb and down with a stanley knife. She had actually sliced through the top of her nail, through the cuticle and just past the lanula. Ouch .... It did of course bleed from the nail bed.
On this visit I obviously didnt touch it.
My question is how long should I leave it before I can rebalance?
When she comes in next (2 weeks time) what should I be checking for?
Many thanks for looking.

Did you advise her on sanitising, keeping clean etc?

It may be a good idea for her to pay her GP a visit, just to be sure she is keeping it very clean, so she can be sure of preventing infections...

If I've understood your description right, (she's cut through her nail plate and into the nail bed - esp. round the lunula area) I'd be worried that she might cause permanent damage / deformity if it got infected?

I know that sounds a bit strong - but it would just be my concern - esp as it'd no doubt be your fault for not removing the overlay - or recommending her to see her GP, etc, etc if the worst happened...!

if I've completely misunderstood your description, it's cos I'm on my second glass of pinot grigio - and (hic!) you can just ignore me!!

Fingers (and thumbs!) crossed... x

Bud said:
Did you advise her on sanitising, keeping clean etc?

It may be a good idea for her to pay her GP a visit, just to be sure she is keeping it very clean, so she can be sure of preventing infections...

If I've understood your description right, (she's cut through her nail plate and into the nail bed - esp. round the lunula area) I'd be worried that she might cause permanent damage / deformity if it got infected?

I know that sounds a bit strong - but it would just be my concern - esp as it'd no doubt be your fault for not removing the overlay - or recommending her to see her GP, etc, etc if the worst happened...!

if I've completely misunderstood your description, it's cos I'm on my second glass of pinot grigio - and (hic!) you can just ignore me!!

Fingers (and thumbs!) crossed... x
Thank you for that, I think maybe the one glass of wine I had, had gone straight to my head too cos I forgot to mention that she had been to the hospital and had stitches.
I dont want to take the overlay off just yet as I dont want to soak this nail in acetone where the nail bed has been sliced through.... All that worrys me is how long will it take to heal before I can rebalance the overlay..

Tell her to ask her doctor and get his advise on this................
She has now got a wound that needs to heal, and no matter how much we want to help, nature has to do it's stuff before , we can do ours..............

She might have a bandage or covering on this anyway, so I would not mess with anything until she has had her stiches removed and it has healed sufficiently for any further service on this finger..............
If I had sliced my finger like that, I wouldn't worry to much about the enhancement , I would worry much more about the wound healing...............
JMHO

Latest posts

Back