Smile lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuzzer

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying my CND L&P course & would like to be the best nail that I can possibly be BUT MY SMILE LINES ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY. I know there have been thousands of threads to do with smile lines & I'm sure that most people have trouble with them to begin with but I wonder if I'll ever get them looking as they should.Mine just seem to go straight across & I just can't seem to manipulate the L&P round the corner.

Does anyone have any tips,other that practice,practice practice?

Many thanks
Cuzzer

Hi.........check out the super smiles tutorial on here......then get a box of cheap tips and practise.........When you place that bead think "smile" every time you press it....don't just press it out to the side...then think smile.....think "smile" with every press....Literally saying the word "smile" in your head!!....that way you are more likely to be pressing and guiding it into a smile from the outset........It may sound daft but it worked for me..........took a box of 500 tips mind!!!..........(well maybe not that many!)

Thanks for that,I shall give it a try

Cuzzer
izzidoll said:
Hi.........check out the super smiles tutorial on here......then get a box of cheap tips and practise.........When you place that bead think "smile" every time you press it....don't just press it out to the side...then think smile.....think "smile" with every press....Literally saying the word "smile" in your head!!....that way you are more likely to be pressing and guiding it into a smile from the outset........It may sound daft but it worked for me..........took a box of 500 tips mind!!!..........(well maybe not that many!)

Hi Cuzzer

I know exactly how you feel, I am a fairly new technician and I have the same problem I look at other technicians doing nails and envy them for the way they make it look so easy to get that perfect smile.

I know its practice but how many do you need to practice on before they are even half decent. I feel like screaming sometimes. Having said that I do look back on when I completed by foundation in May and I am doing better nails now, I think its a slow process, but as my husband keeps telling me if it were that easy everyone would be doing it!

Tamzin
--xx--

Glad your husband is supportive and giving you good advice Tamzin.....

I hope my post didn't sound too simplistic Cuzzer, but I honestly have found that students have improved with this advice......if you are just pressing out your bead then suddenly pushing it into a smile it will end up looking like a staple shape!!! You really need to be pressing and guiding right from the start even exaggerating the smile into more of a V shape...then when you have smoothed it back and have wiped the liquid from your brush you can 'tuck in' to round off the V....Does this help?

izzidoll said:

I hope my post didn't sound too simplistic Cuzzer, but I honestly have found that students have improved with this advice......if you are just pressing out your bead then suddenly pushing it into a smile it will end up looking like a staple shape!!! You really need to be pressing and guiding right from the start even exaggerating the smile into more of a V shape...then when you have smoothed it back and have wiped the liquid from your brush you can 'tuck in' to round off the V....Does this help?

Izzi, I'm going to check out the tutorial you mentioned on smile lines. Could you tell me though, is there a simple way to mark where the sides go down to and the middle goes up to. For example, should the sides of the smile start at say the top of the finger? The top of the sidewalls? Does the arch of the smile have a certain place it should go up to?

Oh Gawd..............I've confused myself there. Thanks. xxx

izzidoll said:

The staple look is what I normally end up with.

Great advice about the V shape - I shall try that next time.

PMSL, thought you must have been looking over my shoulder at the weekend Izzy.

Staples is exactly what they looked like.

How did you work your mix ratio in the begining did it come together by working on the smiles or by doing them dots on paper?

OMG KIMMI!....so many questions!!
I cannot put it any better than GMG in his million dollar smiles tutorial.....!!
But I have found that after my initial press I am pressing and guiding out to one side until I almost reach the side ...then same for the other side...only then smooth back....then it is a case of tweaking the ears of the smile depending how deep you want the smile (I don't like too deep)...then after wiping off your brush, tucking in the smile.....sometimes though that isn't even necessary if you have got it bang on when pressing & guiding it out!!
I don't tend to mark a spot literally at the sidewalls but obviously with experience your eye will automatically get the spot!

advice please, I'm a new nail tech and would like to experiment with the pre designed tips, has any one got any hints and tips on application?

Hi ya
These are one of my fav [predesigned tips] so many to choose from.
To fuse[remove tip line]...Well
Sometimes I do & sometimes I dont.
If the 'line' is stilll visible maybe a splash of clear glitter enamel to cover/diminish.
Can be trickey to get it right...Can loose some of the design.

I apply either L&P or Brisa UV Finishing Gloss or Clear UV Gel.
I did experiment at home on myself ......... Not a problem....
Although with a bigger cross section of people you may find a few.

I also explain that these tips are fun....Not made from the best of plastics.
They do last - wear well....But are nowhere near as Great as others.

CND tips all made from virgin plastic...means they've never been a coke bottle ..lol

HtH
XX J XX

Back