SNS nails-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstymorgan

Reaction score
Hi geeks. I am a mobile beauty therapist with quite a few clients now. The only nail treatment I offer is gelish, I get so many people asking for acrylic although I don't feel I would like to offer that. I had my nails done by signature nail system (sns) yesterday and absolutely love them! So so strong and a lot better for your nails. I want to start offering this to my clients but can't actually find much info on it or where to buy the products. I'm in kent uk. Please can anyone help? Tia!x

I'm not sure where you can purchase these but I'm also wondering something. Does this product really contain vitamins like they claim? I haven't been able to find a MSDS for it so I'm not sure.

Is it like acrylics? But just a tip and dip form of it?

First of all, Solar Nails ARE acrylic nails. The products used in their application are exactly the same. This is a term used by 'discount' salons to make you think that you are getting some new, and better type of nail. You are not. Generally, Solar Nail refers to the standard Pink & Whites (Forever French). Instead of using one colour of acrylic, they will apply a white powder to form the extension, hence the name Pink & Whites.And P&W's have been around a long time now. They are nothing new.
Are they better than gel nails. Well, that depends on how you define 'better.'
When top of the line gel products are used, gel nails are non-yellowing, non-toxic, odourless, they look more natural, they are more flexible than acrylics, and less prone to cracking, breaking, and lifting, and they have a very high shine to them.
Gel 101: Gels are not powder, ever. They are gels. And gels have a hair styling gel consistency to them. They are available in a wide variety of colours, and shimmers.
Gel nails are applied one layer at a time. There are usually anywhere between 2-4 layers of gel applied to each nail. Each and every layer must be individually cured under an Ultraviolet lamp for about two minutes before the next layer can be applied. Once the nail has been formed, a UV gel sealer or a UV finishing gloss is applied and cured as well. The result is a beautiful nail - IF you have a tech who is experienced, and highly skilled in doing gels - and who uses the best products available. This is important. There are cheap junk gels on the market. Discount salons typically use these. The cheap gels are nothing but problems.
The difference between acrylic nails, and gels is this. Acrylic nails are applied with a liquid, and powder(s). There is no UV lamp involved.
Gel nails are just as I described already. If a tech is supposed to be giving you gel nails, and the tech uses ANY liquid and powder, you are getting acrylic nails. Period. Gel nails NEVER have any liquid & powder used in their application. Ever. Don't let the tech try to fool you into thinking that you are getting gel nails if this happens. This is a common scam in the discount salons, where they give you acrylic nails, then apply either a cheap UV topcoat, or a UV gel topcoat, and then they will call them gel nails, and charge you the much higher price for gel nails. These are NOT gel nails. They are acrylic, no matter what the tech tells you. Don't fall for this scam. It happens all the time. BTW, a discount salon is the typical Walmart, or mall type of nail salon, where a full set of acrylics cost between $15 and $25, no appointment is needed, and there is a huge language barrier between you, and them. These are the places that will ruin your natural nails more often than not by using a Dremel drill on them, and filing them paper thin, usually causing much pain either during, or after they are done applying the nails. Nail services should NEVER hurt in any way, ever. And a Dremel drill is NOT for use on nails. In many states, it is illegal to use one of these on your nails, but they use them anyway). If this is the type of salon you are planning to go to, I would suggest reconsidering, and finding a better place to have them done at. If you go through with it, you'll know why I suggested this after you leave there, and your fingers are in a lot of pain.
Also, gel nails cannot be soaked off. Only acrylics can be removed that way.

So the sns system is acrylic? I'm really confused as to what it is. They put a base coat on, dip the whole finger in powder, then another coat then dip the finger in the colour powder that u have chosen, then they put a top coat on????

So what are solar nails?

If you do a search on here for tip and dip it's just another tip and dip system not worth the investment as far as most techs are concerned xx

Oh wow really! That's really interesting! Thanks!!!!

I am training in this system although i dont really like it, im not that good at it lol. Its a gel resin and acrylic powder set with a resin activator. IBD and Glazed nail brands sell the resin and activator. You can use any brand of acrylic powder. You also dont have to use the same brand of gel resin as activator.

And yes it is another form of acrylic nails. Less smell, and its quicker then acrylics. Less filing if done correctly. Hope this helps

I am training in this system although i dont really like it, im not that good at it lol. Its a gel resin and acrylic powder set with a resin activator. IBD and Glazed nail brands sell the resin and activator. You can use any brand of acrylic powder. You also dont have to use the same brand of gel resin as activator.

In other words it is glue and powder dumped on the top of it. It is not a gel in the proper sense of the word, because it is not cured with UV light. It is thick adhesive with polymer added to give it more strength.

It is no better or worse for your natural nails than any other system. It snaps more easily and becomes brittle very quickly with age. This kind of system has been around for at least 15-20 years and periodically someone rolls it out again and calls it something different. It has never been popular with real professionals because it simply does not last well enough. It may appeal to those who can't or don't know how to use Liquid & Powder systems because it looks simple. I would not invest in it. It is not popular for. reason and that reason is because it doesn't last

All nail systems are Acrylic ... ALL of them, just in different forms.

Not all opinions are the same. I know a few professionals who use and love this system. If trained correctly it can last, not as long as acrylic or gels. I would recommemed it more for clients who only want temporary enhancements.

Gel enhancements are not acrylic, there fore not all systems are acrylic.

Wow so glad I asked on here!! I personally love them but I haven't got the full wear of them yet so not sure how strong or how long they will last!

But do they actually contain vitamins like they claim? There's no available msds for it so can they really prove it?

Not all opinions are the same. I know a few professionals who use and love this system. If trained correctly it can last, not as long as acrylic or gels. I would recommemed it more for clients who only want temporary enhancements.

Gel enhancements are not acrylic, there fore not all systems are acrylic.

Gel certainly is acrylic :biggrin: ALL nail systems are, in fact, Acrylic ... That is not an opinion.

Nail systems are defined

L&P .... Liquid and powder
Wraps ... Fibreglass and silk etc
Gels ... UV cured or premixed

All are Acrylic. If you are calling you L&P system ACRYLIC then that is a common mistake made by some technicians, because it doesn't actually define which system you are using, as all nail systems are acrylic ... Hence why we use the correct terminology of L&P ... Otherwise how would we know which system a person was using if they said I do acrylic nails? Using pro terminology helps to prevent misunderstanding.

@PhuongL .... The system may contain what they claim, but even if it does, it won't do any good to the natural nails because natural nails are keratin and non living ... Vitamins in a nail product won't do a bit of good to non living nails.

Gel certainly is acrylic :biggrin: ALL nail systems are, in fact, Acrylic ... That is not an opinion.

Nail systems are defined

L&P .... Liquid and powder
Wraps ... Fibreglass and silk etc
Gels ... UV cured or premixed

All are Acrylic. If you are calling you L&P system ACRYLIC then that is a common mistake made by some technicians, because it doesn't actually define which system you are using, as all nail systems are acrylic ... Hence why we use the correct terminology of L&P ... Otherwise how would we know which system a person was using if they said I do acrylic nails? Using pro terminology helps to prevent misunderstanding.

@PhuongL .... The system may contain what they claim, but even if it does, it won't do any good to the natural nails because natural nails are keratin and non living ... Vitamins in a nail product won't do a bit of good to non living nails.

Hence why CND shellac is the ONLY power Polish and all other uv Gel polishes are NOT the same... despite what people advertise! :p:D:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Solar Nails aren't a dip system (here)- solar nail is an acrylic brand-- but NSS sell it as a "service technique".
SNS is a dip system brand it seems.
I've used Nexgen Nails which is a dip system- getting popular here & very durable- makes a beautiful pink & white, easy application & no smell. It looks similar to SNS.....
Invest- maybe a small sample size & see if their is interest!!
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back