Soaking off......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondered how you soak off enhancements??

When i trained at college we where shown 2 different ways off removing the enhancement...

1... To place nails in a bowl of acetone (not the whole hand just the tips) & to allow them to soak off, buffing & filing in the meantime.

2... To wrap the nails in cotton wool that has been soaked in acetone then wrap tinfoil around the nail & wait for them to soak off.

Hope these make sense, as i probably have not worded them very well!

Just wondering what methods you use,& which you find the quickest & most effective.

Many thanks
Louise x :wink2:

I have used both methods, I like the foil method but tend to only use that on myself.
I prefer to use the other method on clients, not got around to getting one of the 5 finger thingy's yet (another technical term lol)
one thing I always do is to use a protective cream on the skin around the nail before placing in tip remover/acetone.
x

I have only used the foil method and it works great :) I do the first hand then while that is "cooking" I file the product down etc on the other hand and get that one ready for "roasting" :) Not too much time to have to sit and wait then.
If 2 peeps come together then one is cooking while I do the other client.

How long on average would you say it takes to soak off!?!

Louise x :o

I too have used both of these methods although when I did my VTCT at college I was only shown the first of your methods....and even then I had to beg my tutor to explain how and why!

I prefer the 2nd of your two. I oil my clients surrounding skin and soak a lint free nail pad in product remover and the firmly wrap in foil. I find that this works really quicky and efficiently and nice and cleanly!
The foil heats the acetone nicely so it does work a little quicker too!

Fiona aka as Naturalnails has some dinky little soak off bowls which I keep promising myself to!....its like a bottle with two recessed areas and the idea is to fill the "bottle" with warm water and the fill the recessed areas with product remover....that way the warmth of the water inside the bottle warms the acetone for a speedier soak off!

:Love:

I usually find that if clients hands are warm and my room is quite warm then it all comes straight off in about 20 mins but longer if client has cold hands

louise said:
Hi all,

Just wondered how you soak off enhancements??

When i trained at college we where shown 2 different ways off removing the enhancement...

1... To place nails in a bowl of acetone (not the whole hand just the tips) & to allow them to soak off, buffing & filing in the meantime.

2... To wrap the nails in cotton wool that has been soaked in acetone then wrap tinfoil around the nail & wait for them to soak off.

Hope these make sense, as i probably have not worded them very well!

Just wondering what methods you use,& which you find the quickest & most effective.

Many thanks
Louise x :wink2:

I have brought those little bowls that you put acetone into and then pop them onto the end of the clients fingers. They are quite good but my clients think they can walk around with them on and I have noticed a few whitespots on my wooden floor where the acetone has dripped on to it!

louise said:

Louise x :o
depends on your overlay.....10-20 minutes.....silk/fibreglass being quickest.

i use the wrap method much quicker and i can be getting on with the other fingers while its soaking off.
x

louise said:
I use Fabric# and it takes approx 10 - 15 minutes, depends a lot on how many times they take their fingers out to have an inspection :irked:

hi

I use the foil method on myself or if a client needs an individual finger soaking off - just so i can continue working

For full soak off's, which i dont tend to do many of, i buff the nails then soak for 20-30 minutes under cover of a towel

I did use the Soak off Bowl - which i have to say is a fantastic invention - but stopped using it a little while back as i found i was using too much remover, also using so much remover, even when i covered with a towel to keep the heat in, i found the fumes too much. Just would prefer the bowls to be a little deeper and smaller - not sure if possible. Currently using tiny bowls from Tescos ! doubled up with hot water in bottom one

p.s. The Soak off Bowl also doubles up and is excellent for warm manicures etc.

hope this helps

kx

lmao - thats usually my problem not the clients !!! :o just call me impatient minni ! which is why my soak off's (L&P) probably take longer than necessary ! lol ......... oooo i'll just have a little peek - oh no its still on and starting to congeil and now gonna take longer ......:smack:

kx

ValencianNails said:
I use Fabric# and it takes approx 10 - 15 minutes, depends a lot on how many times they take their fingers out to have an inspection :irked:

I use the pads and foil usually, this seems to work pretty well, but I have struggled with this the last two times I have removed, for some reason its took bl**dy ages (almost 45 mins). Last night I resorted back to Fiona's soak off bowls and that did the trick. I like this bowl but felt I too was using a little too much product remover, but I probably aint really. I am thinking of getting them little individual finger soaky things, but was wondering can you re-use them and do they not get full of soaked off product left in (yuck!). Going to send for some anyway to give it a go.. in for a penny.. in for a pound !

Karren said:
lmao - thats usually my problem not the clients !!! :o just call me impatient minni ! which is why my soak off's (L&P) probably take longer than necessary ! lol ......... oooo i'll just have a little peek - oh no its still on and starting to congeil and now gonna take longer ......:smack:

kx

I put a towel over the client's hands in the soak bowl - stops fumes, evaporation and leaves them in no doubt that they are waiting and I will check not them! A glass bead in the bottom of the soak bowl for them to play with also seems to make them keep their nails in.

I use both methods, the Quick soak bowl and the finger spa's.....the finger spa's mainly for single enhancement removals.....say one or two fingers...
If I use the Quick soak bowl I add marbles to it , it raises the acetone level and you need only half as much and I don't use both sides as 10 fingers fit in there nicely.......and by getting them to play with the marbles it agetates the scetone and the product comes off quicker....
Fabric#soaks in 10 minutes ....

I use both methods also, but during the cooler months (october to june) I coat their hands outside the foil in heavy cream put a plastic sleeve on and place their hands in heated mitts. Non Standard Salon product don't know what kind, probably don't want to know what kind, took about 30 minutes. CND with their product remover takes about 15 minutes, and then the clients hands have had a nice moisture treatment.

What is the name of the cream you use? Maybe I should do this as well.

Caz xxx

ValencianNails said:
I have used both methods, I like the foil method but tend to only use that on myself.
I prefer to use the other method on clients, not got around to getting one of the 5 finger thingy's yet (another technical term lol)
one thing I always do is to use a protective cream on the skin around the nail before placing in tip remover/acetone.
x

caz3 said:
What is the name of the cream you use? Maybe I should do this as well.

Caz xxx
Dunno wot Sandi uses....but I just make sure there is oooodles of Solar Oil on there! It just helps prevent the nails and surrounding tissue drying out too much! xx

Thanks

Caz xxx

Jacky said:
Dunno wot Sandi uses....but I just make sure there is oooodles of Solar Oil on there! It just helps prevent the nails and surrounding tissue drying out too much! xx

I use Qtica Intense Therapy (if i remember the name without looking), it's what's known as the 'little pot of magic', great for applying to cuticle area and leaving on overnight. I'm being a good girl again and not buying more stuff until i've used it up, it's lasted for ages but then I only use it for soak offs and luckily I don't do many of those :D

Latest posts

Back