Some Barber Shop advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenny miles

Reaction score
Hii, within the next two years i'm planning on opening a Salon or Barber shop, i've been Hairdressing & Barbering since i was 16 (20 yrs!).
The issue i'm having is that everywhere (in my area) seems to be over run with Ladies Salons so its a quite a big gamble to be opening a Salon(i know it is anyway) but my whole city is over run with Ladies Salons every other shop is a Salon. However male grooming is quite a big deal here & my area only has a few Barber Shops which all seem to do well especially the two that do the traditional wet shaves (which i can do). The only thing thats putting me off owning a Barber Shop is that although they seem to do well i'm struggling to see how they are making their money(even though they clearly do)! The average price (in my area) for a Mans cut is £10 & a shave is about £20. I'd love to hear from some Barber Shop owners for some advice!x

Hii, within the next two years i'm planning on opening a Salon or Barber shop, i've been Hairdressing & Barbering since i was 16 (20 yrs!).
The issue i'm having is that everywhere (in my area) seems to be over run with Ladies Salons so its a quite a big gamble to be opening a Salon(i know it is anyway) but my whole city is over run with Ladies Salons every other shop is a Salon. However male grooming is quite a big deal here & my area only has a few Barber Shops which all seem to do well especially the two that do the traditional wet shaves (which i can do). The only thing thats putting me off owning a Barber Shop is that although they seem to do well i'm struggling to see how they are making their money(even though they clearly do)! The average price (in my area) for a Mans cut is £10 & a shave is about £20. I'd love to hear from some Barber Shop owners for some advice!x

When you say ladies salons do you mean ladies only, no men? Why not open a unisex salon?

we charge less than 10 and do really well.....we do a hell of alot of cuts tho but just remember u can do a mans cut in half the time u cut a ladies so it doesnt matter that you dont charge as much.....longer ive worked there quicker ive got at cutting(still maintaining good standards tho)...more cuts i do more money i make :).Also ive found good tips in barbers!
What works for us is that we undercut everyone on price and only offer a walk in service which male customers prefer ....always have up 3 stylists on at a time so people arnt having to wait too long.

When you say ladies salons do you mean ladies only, no men? Why not open a unisex salon?

hi, yes i've thought about unisex but i like the idea of a 'proper' traditional Barber Shop...sports on a flat screen, beer with the hair cut etc. Those places always seem packed out in this city!x

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I say go for it!

we charge less than 10 and do really well.....we do a hell of alot of cuts tho but just remember u can do a mans cut in half the time u cut a ladies so it doesnt matter that you dont charge as much.....longer ive worked there quicker ive got at cutting(still maintaining good standards tho)...more cuts i do more money i make :).Also ive found good tips in barbers!
What works for us is that we undercut everyone on price and only offer a walk in service which male customers prefer ....always have up 3 stylists on at a time so people arnt having to wait too long.

Hi, yes i'm much quicker at mens hair too, but i see what you mean about undercutting the competition i think that would definitely work well aroun here, also i suppose a lot of money is to be made from total clipper cuts as they are only in the chair for 5 mins! hmmm i'm getting excited about the whole barbering thing again now!!!x:biggrin:

i also find some people will come for their hair done every 2 weeks cus were affordable.....we also offer a ladies service aswell but just cuts no colours or anything too time consuming.
I would go for it!
good luck x

Hi! We charge £9 for same blade, £15 for a dry trim and £19.50 for wash cut and finish. £20 for a wet shave and we are very busy! Our shop is in the Westfield centre derby called bloke! Non appointment and get lots of passing trade as well as regular customers :) hope this helps x

Hi! We charge £9 for same blade, £15 for a dry trim and £19.50 for wash cut and finish. £20 for a wet shave and we are very busy! Our shop is in the Westfield centre derby called bloke! Non appointment and get lots of passing trade as well as regular customers :) hope this helps x

Hi, thanks that definitely sounds encouraging & i've just googled your shop and thats exactly the type of shop i have in mind, i think it could really work well around here!x

Latest posts

Back