Something to cheer up a wet and windy Sunday!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Duffy

Reaction score
Is that you playing? brilliant - you've inspired me to get my bow re-strung! I like the orange wall behind as well.:biggrin:

Is that you playing? brilliant - you've inspired me to get my bow re-strung! I like the orange wall behind as well.:biggrin:

Yep, that's me playing! I play for a Morris side and mainly play English and Irish fiddle tunes, with just enough classical music to appease my teacher, but every now and again I get the urge to play something stupid!

Loved it, Martin. May we have more?

Also love your style; fabulous hat.

Loved it, Martin. May we have more?

Also love your style; fabulous hat.

At last count I had uploaded 139 videos of me playing on YouTube, but they're nearly all English and Irish fiddle tunes, so not to many people's tastes! Glad you liked me hat, I have a few repros but that one's a proper old top hat from Picadilly!

just had a nosey at your youtube vids, brilliant! now my daughter has heard and is begging for violin lessons again.:rolleyes:

just had a nosey at your youtube vids, brilliant! now my daughter has heard and is begging for violin lessons again.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words! Even now my partner goes off to the gym or for a bike ride when I'm practicing as he gets sick of listening to my violin, or the vile-din as it's sometimes known! It really is a most unforgiving instrument! The trouble is if you're not making mistakes you're playing something that has nothing challanging in it, and then it's not really practice, or so my teacher tells me!

Amazing! You have a great talent! I would love to learn an instrument. X :D

Amazing! You have a great talent! I would love to learn an instrument. X :D

Thanks for the compliment, but sad to say it's not talent (wish it was!), just years and years of slogging away!!! And it's never too late to learn an instrument, one of my clients took up piano in her 70's and is doing really well with it!!

Thanks for the compliment, but sad to say it's not talent (wish it was!), just years and years of slogging away!!! And it's never too late to learn an instrument, one of my clients took up piano in her 70's and is doing really well with it!!

I would love to learn how to play the piano or electric guitar, I just honestly don't have 5 minutes to myself these days. You are very good at it!

At last count I had uploaded 139 videos of me playing on YouTube, but they're nearly all English and Irish fiddle tunes, so not to many people's tastes! Glad you liked me hat, I have a few repros but that one's a proper old top hat from Picadilly!

I've just subscribed to your YouTube channel, I love fiddle music - English, Irish, Scottish, Scandinavian, Bluegrass, Zydeco,... Do you ever listen to 'World On Three'?

BBC Radio 3 - World on 3, Tom Paley in Session

...one of the presenters, Mary Ann Kennedy, is well up on traditional folk singers and fiddlers! And your'e not far from me - might have to book in for some waxing :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words! Even now my partner goes off to the gym or for a bike ride when I'm practicing as he gets sick of listening to my violin, or the vile-din as it's sometimes known! It really is a most unforgiving instrument! The trouble is if you're not making mistakes you're playing something that has nothing challanging in it, and then it's not really practice, or so my teacher tells me!

This made me laugh as when I was learning the saxophone my husband would say it was my "squeak-sorry" 'Cos that's what I used to do, and say!

This made me laugh as when I was learning the saxophone my husband would say it was my "squeak-sorry" 'Cos that's what I used to do, and say!

My partner plays clarinet and sax, but is currently learning to play a low D whistle, which has a lovely haunting sound. Oddly enough one of my friends does the squeak-sorry on her clarinet! She'd always wanted to play clarinet but never learnt, so I told her that being in your 40's isn't too old to learn (keeps the brain ticking over!), so she started lessons.

I used to stop and apologise for wrong notes as well, now I just play through them like they were supposed to be there and hope no-one notices!!!

Maybe you could post an Oompa Loompa on sax, that would sound grand!!!

I've just subscribed to your YouTube channel, I love fiddle music - English, Irish, Scottish, Scandinavian, Bluegrass, Zydeco,... Do you ever listen to 'World On Three'?

BBC Radio 3 - World on 3, Tom Paley in Session

...one of the presenters, Mary Ann Kennedy, is well up on traditional folk singers and fiddlers! And your'e not far from me - might have to book in for some waxing :)

I sometimes listen to it, that and Mike Harding, but my favourite is to switch the box onto BBC Alba as they have some great traditional music programmes and you get to watch in awe as they play like it's the easiest thing in the world!! BBC3 very very occasionally broadcast the Transatlantic Sessions, which are very good.

It's a shame that English tv so rarely showcases our traditional music as we have some really talented musicians and singers, but instead they broadcast endless miming of pop songs, Britain's Quite Talentless and the ZZZZ-factor.:rolleyes:

I sometimes listen to it, that and Mike Harding, but my favourite is to switch the box onto BBC Alba as they have some great traditional music programmes and you get to watch in awe as they play like it's the easiest thing in the world!! BBC3 very very occasionally broadcast the Transatlantic Sessions, which are very good.

It's a shame that English tv so rarely showcases our traditional music as we have some really talented musicians and singers, but instead they broadcast endless miming of pop songs, Britain's Quite Talentless and the ZZZZ-factor.:rolleyes:

I've enjoyed the Transatlantic Sessions - there have been some great guests including Sharon Shannon. BBC Alba is new to me - I'll definitely check that out, thanks :)

I've enjoyed the Transatlantic Sessions - there have been some great guests including Sharon Shannon. BBC Alba is new to me - I'll definitely check that out, thanks :)

Sharon Shannon has been on tv a lot recently! I saw her on the Sky Arts coverage of the Cambridge folk festival and she had a whole concert on BBC Alba the other week!

Being a fiddler my personal favourite in the last lot of Transatlantic Sessions was John McCusker, he used to be married to/play with Kate Rusby but is now with Heidi Talbot, another favourite of mine.

Sharon Shannon has been on tv a lot recently! I saw her on the Sky Arts coverage of the Cambridge folk festival and she had a whole concert on BBC Alba the other week!

Being a fiddler my personal favourite in the last lot of Transatlantic Sessions was John McCusker, he used to be married to/play with Kate Rusby but is now with Heidi Talbot, another favourite of mine.

I love Kate Rusby's voice, and John McCusker - anybody who plays in the Battlefield Band is okay with me! Now I'm thinking Dave Swarbrick in Fairport Convention, oh and Sandy Denny - gonna have to go on Spotify later!

Latest posts

Back