Son can't manage anymore on his low pay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colourViolet

Reaction score
HI, I just would like to know people's views. My son is a junior stylist and about to give up hairdressing which he has a deep passion for, as he can't manage on his salary anymore and it is pretty dire. He rents a chair and gives 60% to the owner and keeps 40%. He charges approx. £38 for cut and blow dry (to give idea of prices - senior stylists charge more) However, on most days he will only get 2/3 clients and on a Saturday he is usually busiest. On an average day, he will take just over £150 for the till, sometimes less if he has only one or two clients and taking £150 this gives him only £60. On bad days (which is often) he only gets one or two clients, sometimes none. He has done everything he can to get new clients. Most weeks he takes between £100 - £150. He thinks he is having a good week if he takes £100. I have read threads where some salons charge a fixed amount for chairs, but in his case, he pays a %. I worked out he probably pays approx. £300/£400 a week to rent his chair if you were to take it as a main cost. Its just a 'backstreet' salon in Essex. What do people think? I really feel for him. He is leaving this week.

If he has only recently qualified it was probably not a good idea to work in a 'rent a chair' environment, as it will be difficult to keep clients in an atmosphere where all other stylists working there on the same arrangement and will be competing with each other. He will need nurturing and team work in his first few years of being a junior stylist. It's like learning to drive, just because you've passed your test when you're out on the road on your own you soon shit yourself!

I am a firm believer in salons working as a team. Has he applied for salons where he works for them, and not on rent a chair basis? Or has he not tried this? xx

If he's renting a chair he's classed as self employed, so it's up to him to market himself and build his own column of clients. However, it's fairly unusual to rent a chair if you're not already an experienced hairdresser with your own loyal client following. In that situation, most hairdressers will earn a decent living.

If he wants a regular wage he needs to find a salon that will employ him and support his progression as a junior, although a lot of salons prefer their 'staff' to be self employed so that they don't have to pay taxes, holiday pay or sickness benefits etc.

If he has only recently qualified it was probably not a good idea to work in a 'rent a chair' environment, as it will be difficult to keep clients in an atmosphere where all other stylists working there on the same arrangement and will be competing with each other. He will need nurturing and team work in his first few years of being a junior stylist. It's like learning to drive, just because you've passed your test when you're out on the road on your own you soon shit yourself!

I am a firm believer in salons working as a team. Has he applied for salons where he works for them, and not on rent a chair basis? Or has he not tried this? xx
Thank you...he's been qualified about a year and has slowly tried to build up his clientele himself, though only probably has about 20-30 regulars. The whole salon operates this rent a chair thing and other stylists there, even those who have been qualified for a few years are struggling. He has a friend who is being employed as a stylist in another salon on regular wage but there aren't many who operate like this in this area. Even the senior stylist there takes about £300 a week. As always with these things, there is more up this story. The owner is pleasant etc but not really nurturing or supportive. He doesn't see what's going on....

If he's renting a chair he's classed as self employed, so it's up to him to market himself and build his own column of clients. However, it's fairly unusual to rent a chair if you're not already an experienced hairdresser with your own loyal client following. In that situation, most hairdressers will earn a decent living.

If he wants a regular wage he needs to find a salon that will employ him and support his progression as a junior, although a lot of salons prefer their 'staff' to be self employed so that they don't have to pay taxes, holiday pay or sickness benefits etc.

Hi Thanks...yes, I think your second para has answered it...the salon owner doesnt care how much my son takes and is only interested in taking the money. My son also works part time in a restaurant and a lot of his clients are from that. He's trying to build it up himself as he gets no help. He hadn't had an easy ride with salons. This is his third... the last one, his manager took all the tips The one before never trained him...he is feeling disillusioned.

I would recommend that he look for work in a hotel or at least some kind of big company. Go where they have a human resources team and a set payment structure.

Could he try to find a salon where he pays a set rate instead of %. It seems like he is handing over such a lot.

Could your son go mobile? At least then all the money he makes is his xx

Latest posts

Back