Spatula with high lift tints and bleach

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi
on my level 3 course I was taught it was ok to put on a High lift blonde with a spatula and use 12% with heat.
I did this on a client who had a base 6 to 7 just to get rid of the roots which were quite grown out, I used a thin coating of product as I was worried about swelling, anyway it turned out really nice ,
but when I checked with Wella about using their blondor bleach with the spatula they said only to go up to a 10 line with tint and the spatula because of swelling,

Has anyone had success with any other high lift bleach or tint that can get a good lift
without swelling with the spatula and heat added?

Also has anyone used Platinium with the spatula?

I have never used a spatula and don't understand how you don't get bleeding when you drop the hair onto the hair below after you have applied the tint.

Do you start at the top or bottom of the head?

I have tried platinium and find it dries out very quickly so I don't like it.

There I have admitted i'm not a perfect hairdresser and don't know something and I'm BRITISH!!! (See Hairdressers sharing more thread)

God that feels good!!! LOL

I have never used a spatula and don't understand how you don't get bleeding when you drop the hair onto the hair below after you have applied the tint.

Do you start at the top or bottom of the head?

I have tried platinium and find it dries out very quickly so I don't like it.

There I have admitted i'm not a perfect hairdresser and don't know something and I'm BRITISH!!! (See Hairdressers sharing more thread)

God that feels good!!! LOL

Hiya Sweetcorn
I have looked at that about British hairdressers thing, and I think you are right it is a British thing and I am the same too, but I am going to break my bad habit
and admit I do not know every thing either, and thats why we ask each other :hug: x
anyway I am glad you told me about the platinum drying out too quickly.

Here is the spatula rundown
you start working with a spatula from the underneath clipping all other hair out of the way like you would section for a perm.
then starting at the nape just like foils try to gently place your spatula of hair (woven or slices ) with the product close to the root then bring it down gently painting product on as you draw down your spatula,
try not to place the coated hair directly on top of the other hair, try to leave it in a sort of separate space,
hope I'm making sense? :|
carry on like this all over the head without squishing the hair together.
It may be best for partial techniques, say after you have foiled the top area, or if you want to put a bit of light browns in after foiling to refresh bits of hair in between the foils,
sometimes it cannot be helped if the product touches the other hairs a little bit but it wont be too noticeable as it just gets a few honey hints in it where the products may have touched it , and as you wouldn't do it on a very dark base anyway it blends in quite well anyway.

Have a go on your practice head or model first with conditioner and talc.

Hint (if you decide to do more than one tone you will need a seperate spatula for each tone) :hug: hope that made sense xx

Come On The Brits!!!

Cheers Minky that is something that has NEVER been explained to me.

I pretty much thought thats how you do it but really helpful to have it 100% confirmed.

So if you looked at the head when you had finished you would see the hair you have tinted for example placed to the right and the natural hair placed to the left to reduce them touching as much as possible?

Does this make sense? It does in my head!!!

Good tip about using seperate spatulars for different colours because not everyone would remember that however obvious it may seem.

What length is a spatular best used on? Is it fiddly on longer or shorter hair?

Cheers chuck X

Come On The Brits!!!

Cheers Minky that is something that has NEVER been explained to me.

I pretty much thought thats how you do it but really helpful to have it 100% confirmed.

So if you looked at the head when you had finished you would see the hair you have tinted for example placed to the right and the natural hair placed to the left to reduce them touching as much as possible?

Does this make sense? It does in my head!!!

Good tip about using seperate spatulars for different colours because not everyone would remember that however obvious it may seem.

What length is a spatular best used on? Is it fiddly on longer or shorter hair?

Cheers chuck X

Hi Ive never really tried placing them in any direction,
I just gently placed them with spaces like foils between them
I don't think it matters about the length of the spatula as you are drawing it down the length of the hair applying product as you go,
but I think you can get them in different widths
I usually find spatulas great at adding different tones in similar natural hair bases keeping the lift to around 2 shades up max on darker hair
otherwise you may notice bleeding.
I wonder does the platinum bleed? and have you used both types?

By the way sweetcorn if we keep asking Questions even if we know the predicted answers I'm sure it will help others to start asking too so thank you for asking :hug: x
minky

I think Someone was asking from America what a spatula was I was trying to find a pic
but couldn't see one I'm sure you will have it under a different name but over here it is like a flat plastic thing like something you would get an egg out of the fry pan
and it has comb teeth upturned at the top of it where you place the hair into at the root then you do your painting of the product on the plastic part (oh my did that make any sense):eek: :hug: hope this helped

I think Someone was asking from America what a spatula was I was trying to find a pic
I didn't see anyone else asking but you did read my mind..
I am not quite getting my head around this spatula.

I didn't see anyone else asking but you did read my mind..
I am not quite getting my head around this spatula.

Hiya JDs
I think someone sent a little message in a box and I accidentally wiped it off
I'm so naff with computers but I'm getting there,
anyway Ill bet your bottom dollar you will laugh :lol: when you see what a spatula is.
you will probably have them under a diffrent name or something similar that produces the same result,
Anyway I will try and get a picture for you soon as I can get hold of a camera:hug:
A spatula looks a bit like a flat topper,
Anyway I have been wondering can you tell me what is Crisco shortening? :confused::hug:

Crisco Shortening is like lard that you cook with.

Why do you ask?

do you all mean a colouring comb ???????? or am i mega far behind the times :lol:

Crisco Shortening is like lard that you cook with.

Why do you ask?

Hi JDs
We were discussing hair bleach on a different post and here is what you replied

My "bleach" container is not lined. It is not a powder, it is a solid thick mixture something in the thickness of crisco shortening. __________________

I should have asked you then what this was?
sorry it slipped my mind.
I actually thought it was cornflour:eek: and was still pondering about it.
:hug: x

do you all mean a colouring comb ???????? or am i mega far behind the times :lol:

Hi there
It probably is a colouring comb:lol:
but we just call it a spatula over in the UK , isn't it strange all the different names we have for the same things? :lol:

What does a coloring comb look like?
:hug:x

lol i am in the uk hun:lol: from what i remember it was a flat thing but with mini sections so , instead of weaving foils you just got your strands using this ,
have done a search but they all come up with ones with a tube of tint that you put in the bottom (which the ones i used didnt have )

sweetcorn I tried to post a picture of the spatula too.
but it didn't work either sorry guys .
anyway I think the spatula is good on short or med to long hair as long as its not too short it should be fine.

I also find it good for adding a few halo lights in the hair whilst the tint is on
I just take a few tiny pieces of the tint covered hair around the front, and coat over it with bleach for the duration of the time that the tint is on anyone else do this?

lol i am in the uk hun:lol: from what i remember it was a flat thing but with mini sections so , instead of weaving foils you just got your strands using this ,
have done a search but they all come up with ones with a tube of tint that you put in the bottom (which the ones i used didnt have )

Hi
I think I know what you mean by combs I think loreal made one to use with maji contrast to create a veil effect ,
you sort of placed it in the root section and moved it to one side so you got your strands
to paint ? (If I remember right ):)

Post the website that you found this on ... And if you have problems, let me know and I will do it for you. ;)
Hi JDs
We were discussing hair bleach on a different post and here is what you replied
.My "bleach" container is not lined. It is not a powder, it is a solid thick mixture something in the thickness of crisco shortening.

LOL.. okay I get ya now.

Weaving comb....http://www.weavingcomb.com

Hi sweetcorn
I was just wondering can you send the website again where you found the spatulas? as JDs said she can help with it.
I went on the link and saw the spatulas but I cant get to click on it now :eek:

Thank you sweetcorn x

in my previous post, I posted a web link. This is what you guys are talking about?

in my previous post, I posted a web link. This is what you guys are talking about?
Nope, after she described it I got what she was talking about, Color Tools - Pivot Point Store

we call it a color palette, it does look like a spatula only with a comb on the end. If the link I placed is right it should come up with the pic.

I can't say I've used it much, we have one, but I'm more comfortable foiling and I've done it so long that it wouldn't save me much time to use the spatula. I think the L'Oreal maji lift or maji blonde was made to use with this (they are as thick as the maji contrast) so it would seem that they would stay in place as well. The platinium can be mixed looser (with more developer) to stay moister and that will extend the processing power (not lengthen the time left on, but lengthen the time the product is actually lifting)

Personally I'm partial to Scruples Blazing Hair for highlighting, I can mix what I need to control unwanted tones and adjust the amount of lift. Quite a few of our clients are of Mexican or Native American descent so to be able to produce a soft caramel or light brown highlight on that dark hair in a single step is worth it. I'm sure there are other systems out there that can be mixed to produce the same result, we just haven't found it yet. Blazing Hair can be thickened to apply with a spatula or a comb. They also sell one. The pivot point spatula is a little larger and has a better curve.

Latest posts

Back