Spray tan - why do clients never prepare?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugg73

Reaction score
I've only been spray tanning for about 4 months but I'm getting SO exasperated with clients. I have clear preparation instructions on my website and facebook page. The night before the tan I always contact my clients and go through the preparation with them to be sure - they STILL don't listen.

I had one client last month who admitted having body butter on - the spray tan on her face 'ran' 'bleed' immediately so I knew something was wrong - and asked her. She admitted putting it on but had the cheek to contact me and complain that she was patchy on her face.

I had one client who never exfoliated and there was more moisture in a prune than in the skin on her legs - she phoned me the next day complaining that her legs were patchy and demanded I re-do her legs the next day for free.

On Wednesday , I sprayed another lady and a similar thing happened on her face - running/bleeding. I asked her if she had any product on her face and, again, she had stuff on. The next day she phoned and said her face had reacted to the solution and she was not happy!!

I know I have a lot to learn but I know I'm not doing anything incorrect - I have one 'super client' she prepares and her tan goes on like silk and last up to 2 weeks. I use sienna x and LA tan. I'm feeling so down about this - does anyone else experience this??

Last edited:
Yup. I have one regular who is the same. She has been given my prep instructions loads of times and "ooops I forgot" every time. It's either she's just shaved her legs, forgot not to moisturise, forgets loose clothing (she actually has a tshirt belonging to me I lent her)
Day after I get a text, legs patchy, arms haven't took etc. i explain why again every time.
I know it's not me as my other clients rave about my tans.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Yup. I have one regular who is the same. She has been given my prep instructions loads of times and "ooops I forgot" every time. It's either she's just shaved her legs, forgot not to moisturise, forgets loose clothing (she actually has a tshirt belonging to me I lent her)
Day after I get a text, legs patchy, arms haven't took etc. i explain why again every time.
I know it's not me as my other clients rave about my tans.

Thanks - good to hear (well, not really but you know what I mean) ;)

What do you do? Have you ever refunded or re-sprayed?

Before you spray them you should ask if they've prepped properly and if they have anything in there skin. If they have something on or have not prepped properly you should say something like

No problem mary , because you have just applied moisturiser there is a chance that this spray tan will not be even on your face , are you still happy to go ahead with the treatment? If yes make a note on client record card and spray , they have no come backs then. You could even point out before you spray them that all re sprays are charged the same as a regular tan so they would be better off following your prep advice as they will save money ;) this lets then know your not a push over and the only way to get some clients to listen is to hit them where it hurts ... Their pocket ;)

Before you spray them you should ask if they've prepped properly and if they have anything in there skin. If they have something on or have not prepped properly you should say something like

No problem mary , because you have just applied moisturiser there is a chance that this spray tan will not be even on your face , are you still happy to go ahead with the treatment? If yes make a note on client record card and spray , they have no come backs then. You could even point out before you spray them that all re sprays are charged the same as a regular tan so they would be better off following your prep advice as they will save money ;) this lets then know your not a push over and the only way to get some clients to listen is to hit them where it hurts ... Their pocket ;)

Thanks so much! Do you ever use the spritzer stuff for those who do not prepare? I find that they say they've got nothing on and then when I start spraying they say, oh yeah I forgot about that!! I really want to do a good job but you can only work with what you've got - wish they understood that! lol

I charge for re-sprays as I always ask if they have prepped and advise what can happen.
I have got one regular who I don't mind doing a little top up etc free as she only lives across the street and she's one of my big money clients, uses me for hair extensions, gel polish, waxing etc x

Nope never spritz them before hand just apply barrier cream, if they told me mid spray I would say something like "oh if your wearing moisturiser that may affect the way your tan will develop, I'm afraid I cannot be held responsible if you did not follow the prep advice, I would then note on their client card that prep was not followed :)

If I got a complaint I would just say the same again with a smile of course and add , a respray will be 30 :) :) :)

Latest posts

Back