Staff eating?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys.
I am standing by it. So hopefully the whinging will stop soon.
I mean I have given up everything for this salon and they don't even want to give up microwave meals!!!

Ok which would they rather have a microwave or job? Clients do t Luke the smell and they are the ones who pay the wages!

Exactly. But I do wish that clients would speak up for themselves more sometime. And not just make bullets for us to fire. I'm sure my staff think I'm making stuff up!

I'd just make sure there isn't a law out there that stops you stopping them eating hot food on the premises.

I know you have to provide a means to heat food if your out away from shops etc, but not sure about staff bringing food in.

The weird thing is when i worked in a hair salon it was really long with the staff room right at the end, and we all used to have jacket potatoes and ready meals quite regularly, but i can never remember the salon smelling?!
Maybe they had some sort of posh Glade plug in?!

But anyway, yeah give ACAS a call, because if it turns out that you can't stop them eating hot food and one of your staff finds that out, it could be very bad for you - better safe than sorry

I'd just make sure there isn't a law out there that stops you stopping them eating hot food on the premises.

I know you have to provide a means to heat food if your out away from shops etc, but not sure about staff bringing food in.

The weird thing is when i worked in a hair salon it was really long with the staff room right at the end, and we all used to have jacket potatoes and ready meals quite regularly, but i can never remember the salon smelling?!
Maybe they had some sort of posh Glade plug in?!

But anyway, yeah give ACAS a call, because if it turns out that you can't stop them eating hot food and one of your staff finds that out, it could be very bad for you - better safe than sorry

There is no law requiring us to give facilities for a hot meal, only meal breaks.
The salon owners do not have to provide an oven or microwave by law.

There is no law requiring us to give facilities for a hot meal, only meal breaks.
The salon owners do not have to provide an oven or microwave by law.

There is a law, if your not 'reasonably close' to a hot food seller then employers must provide a way of heating food - i had a massive row once with an old boss when our microwave broke - we were on an industrial estate with no way of eating food than bringing our own.
He was 100% sure he didn't have to buy a new one, then an hour later he came rolling out his office to say, lets go Tesco!

Turns out he had rang his friend that works for ACAS and was told he needed to give us a way to heat meals.

There is a law, if your not 'reasonably close' to a hot food seller then employers must provide a way of heating food - i had a massive row once with an old boss when our microwave broke - we were on an industrial estate with no way of eating food than bringing our own.
He was 100% sure he didn't have to buy a new one, then an hour later he came rolling out his office to say, lets go Tesco!

Turns out he had rang his friend that works for ACAS and was told he needed to give us a way to heat meals.

Yes you do need to provide a means of heating food BUT this can be hot water for soup ie. a kettle. There is no law that a microwave or over needs to be provided. If you go to www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg293.pdf that is the welfare at work guidelines.

HTHs

Yes you do need to provide a means of heating food BUT this can be hot water for soup ie. a kettle. There is no law that a microwave or over needs to be provided. If you go to www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg293.pdf that is the welfare at work guidelines.

HTHs

Yeah but going back to OP soup can also stink lol!

But from what I can gather, i think the salon is near to food outlets anyway, so therefore she wouldnt have to supply a way to eat food. BUT there isn't anything clear as to wether an employer can stop you bringing hot food to the eating area, hence why I think it would be best if the OP rang ACAS to check, in other words, ring them BEFORE an employee does so they know if they can do that or not.

I would also check that you are allowed to dictate which type of sandwich you they eat I.e "cheese and onion." I mean come on, you can stop them warming curry up in the salon but dictating what they eat outside the salon, please.

I have worked in many a salon/spa who have banned certain foods on lunch breaks i.e. garlic, curry, onions, etc. Fine! It doesn't bother me, its not like there isn't a huuuuuuge variety of other foods we can have! Most people can see the sense and are happy to oblige :) The ones who don't, tell them to stop being so spoilt its not like you're banning food altogether! :rolleyes:

I would also check that you are allowed to dictate which type of sandwich you they eat I.e "cheese and onion." I mean come on, you can stop them warming curry up in the salon but dictating what they eat outside the salon, please.

Legally I don't think you could start dictating what there aloud to eat! Taking the microwave out yes you could do. But as for stating what they.can and cannot eat is a no go! They are working for you, you don't own them. If you told me I couldn't eat spicy chicken sandwiches, I would tell you where I'm taking the matter to!

Last edited by a moderator:
Legally I don't think you could start dictating what there aloud to eat! Taking the microwave out yes you could do. But as for stating what they.can and cannot eat is a no go! They are working for you, you don't own them. If you told me I couldn't eat spicy chicken sandwiches, I would tell you where I'm taking the matter to!

I agree I don't see how any company can dictate what foods you can or can't eat, however if an employee goes out to lunch and comes back stinking if curry etc... I would have thought body spray and a mint would be a reasonable request for them to use? I've never had the food problem as my salon is next door to a sandwich shop but I have a stylist who smoke (we can't ban that out side of work) but every single one if them use body spray and had mints or gum, problem solved :)

HTHs

Correct, we do not own our employees and cannot dictate what they eat or smoke.

However we can refuse to employ them after their probationary period. Garlic and curry lovers beware!!!

Lets face it, if you stink, clients won't want you.

If you insist on garlic sandwiches for lunch, and only curry will get you through the day, don't be surprised when clients don't rebook, and you end up signing on.

There are probably a few of the two and a half million unemployed who will accomodate client comfort instead.

can you imagine getting the sack for eating a cheese and onion sandwich once a week on your dinner break, that would be a good one for the employment tribuneral, im pretty sure the local papers would be interested aswell, that would really be bad for business.

However we can refuse to employ them after their probationary period. Garlic and curry lovers beware!!!

If you insist on garlic sandwiches for lunch, and only curry will get you through the day, don't be surprised when clients don't rebook, and you end up signing on.

There are probably a few of the two and a half million unemployed who will accomodate client comfort instead.

what happens if they have never eaten a cheese and onion sandwich in their life, then 1 year into their employment with you, they try one and love it, what do you do then

Eeeuuuwwww, smoke on people! The last time I did a course it was Facials. The girl I was partnered with did a great job, but the effect was completely spoilt by the fact that she just ooooozed the smell of fag smoke. Sorry, but mints may sort the breath out, but when someone's clothes are smoky like that body spray won't do it!

I have to say, if I had been a paying client in that situation, then I would definitely avoided that salon/therapist in the future. It's bad enough if your other half humms of garlic, you can't avoid that, but as a client you can go to a different salon/therapist.

Conclusion of this post..

Take the microwave out!

Staff can eat what they want, as long as they don't carry the smell over the clients. They need to carry mints or depending on how smelly it is, mouth wash!

You can't dictate what thy should eat and dawn can't use the attitude if you don't like it go! There's enough people unemployed. Legally you can't use this as a threat towards staff.

Conclusion of this post..

Take the microwave out!

Staff can eat what they want, as long as they don't carry the smell over the clients. They need to carry mints or depending on how smelly it is, mouth wash!

You can't dictate what thy should eat and dawn can't use the attitude if you don't like it go! There's enough people unemployed. Legally you can't use this as a threat towards your staff.

Dawn states it would be a probationary period and therefore would not have to state the food/breath issue as the reason for letting someone go but as an employer if you ask for people to be considerate about what they eat because of the clients comfort and they decide to ignore you then of course you can let them go - you did not get along and this could just be the tip of the iceberg. Not everyone is going to get along there are so many different personalities that some just clash and no-one would expect to have to hire someone you know will clash with you or your work policies etc..

I think some people need to take a step back and not get so deeply involved in these posts.

The OP had a situation and wanted some advice. They have got lots of different advice. There is no need to attack people or get all defensive about anyone's replies - they are giving their oppinion as requested and should not feel they have to defend themselves for their views.

I'm not saying you can't disagree with other people's posts but try to do it with some respect. Try to treat others the same way you would expect to be treated.

A salon owner has to strive to make a financial success of the business. The employees have the responsibilty to do everything in the power to support this.
The client has the right to the best experience possible.
If the client does not re-book because their experience was marred by an unpleasant odour then the above have not occurred!

I agree that removing the microwave is perfectly acceptable. The smell of some foods fills the salon and can't be removed. For anyone not eating it and especially when you come in from the freshness outside, it can be repulsive.

There are lots of other options, pasta, salad, sandwiches, crackers, fruit salad, wraps, sushi.... If your therapists say they MUST have hot food, then they can go and buy it or they could make soup in the morning, put it in a flask and it will still be hot for them to eat in their cars, or anywhere outside the salon.

They can eat whatever they like as long as they ensure they don't smell of it afterwards. Mints, chewing gum, toothbrush, mouthwash, body spray, putting a jacket on when you go out for a fag...

In Dawn's defence, i don't think she was saying "eat what i say or else". It seemed like she was actually saying that if the clients refuse to have you as their therapist, due to an offending smell, you will lose your job because you won't be bringing the salon any money in. Unless you change your ways and the clients agree to seeing you again.

If a therapist smelt of body odour you would expect them to wash and use a deoderant. Is this really any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back