Staff eating?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that removing the microwave is perfectly acceptable. The smell of some foods fills the salon and can't be removed. For anyone not eating it and especially when you come in from the freshness outside, it can be repulsive.

There are lots of other options, pasta, salad, sandwiches, crackers, fruit salad, wraps, sushi.... If your therapists say they MUST have hot food, then they can go and buy it or they could make soup in the morning, put it in a flask and it will still be hot for them to eat in their cars, or anywhere outside the salon.

They can eat whatever they like as long as they ensure they don't smell of it afterwards. Mints, chewing gum, toothbrush, mouthwash, body spray, putting a jacket on when you go out for a fag...

In Dawn's defence, i don't think she was saying "eat what i say or else". It seemed like she was actually saying that if the clients refuse to have you as their therapist, due to an offending smell, you will lose your job because you won't be bringing the salon any money in. Unless you change your ways and the clients agree to seeing you again.

If a therapist smelt of body odour you would expect them to wash and use a deoderant. Is this really any different?
exactly. If someone smells offensive it is an issue. I don't go round sacking people, so please don't threaten me with tribunerals for posting my opinions on a forum!!!!
I have NEVER been taken to tribuneral and have been a salon owner for 12 years, so cannot be acting outside of the law.

However, if someone smells offensive, the issue has to be tackled. A therapist cannot do a facial with hands that stink, or a stylist smell overwhelmingly of garlic. My salon cannot smell like an indian

Hopefully those who disagree with my rules have the misfortune to pay good money for a treatment that is spoilt by an overwhelming personal odour. Possibly then they will see it from a clients perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the salon I work we do not have a microwave but have a toaster for our early morning starts but the toaster.

I mean if you really want to eat strong smelling food then it is your choice, but wouldn't you feel really self conscious.

I know when i go to work in the morning I want to give my clients the best service surely smelling nice is included.

I also think that a client should give us professionals the same respect too :) x

Just because someone has owned a salon for many years doesn't always mean your doing things by the law if someone hasn't picked up on something. I know a lot of legal rights the workplace being from a legal family background I know rights! People can get walked over a lot of the time and don't always know the rights and where they stand so just leave and don't bother putting up a fight.

Example... My previous.salon wanted to Change opening times at open at 7.30am. Legally staff can choose if they want to work this or not. . . The salon thought different! So in went my union and I won my case. Everyone else would of just let it go and gone along with it! Its knowing rights!

It was me that mentioned tribunerals but in absolutely no way was it meant as a threat, and I apologise deeply that it was taken as such. these threads are about peoples opinions and that was just my personal opinion and no harm was intended
I am so sorry to anyone that took this the wrong way I really didnt mean any upset. :hug: :Kissing:

can you imagine getting the sack for eating a cheese and onion sandwich once a week on your dinner break, that would be a good one for the employment tribuneral, im pretty sure the local papers would be interested aswell, that would really be bad for business.

This doesn't seem threatening to me!

This doesn't seem threatening to me!

Honestly it wasnt meant in a threatening way, it was just a possible scenario.
thought provoking!!!

Honestly it wasnt meant in a threatening way, it was just a possible scenario.
thought provoking!!!

Yeah that was obvious to most people by the look of it

I also think that a client should give us professionals the same respect too :) x

Oh yeah, i completely agree with this one.

I have a few clients that like to have a cigarette or two before a treatment and as a non-smoker i can find that smell pretty overpowering.

However, i do have clients that are the other way too and are obsessive about making sure they have a mint or some gum before they come in, regardless of what they are having done. Bless them :)

Dawn as always thank you for you advice. Much appreciated.
At no point did I say I wasn't allowing them to eat hot food in the salon. I said I didn't want them cooking it there. I would never dream of dictating what my staff can/can't eat. LOL
However it is their responsability to make sure the smell doesn't fill the salon and that they don't stink their clients out after.
xx

I know the law. I use ACAS a lot. I use Peninsula (look it up), I treat people well and have never been taken to tribuneral or reported to a fictitous "union" (we don't have them in London maybe?).

Smelly food is just not on, it's part of beauty therapy etiquette! The point I think a lot of others are making is that if u decide to fill the salon with stinky food and breathe over clients with curry and garlic breath, u will be the first to go when cuts are made, so don't be surprised if u get ur marching orders and smelly food will not be given as the main reason for termination of employment! but u can be sure that it will be the reason x

Smelly food is just not on, it's part of beauty therapy etiquette! The point I think a lot of others are making is that if u decide to fill the salon with stinky food and breathe over clients with curry and garlic breath, u will be the first to go when cuts are made, so don't be surprised if u get ur marching orders and smelly food will not be given as the main reason for termination of employment! but u can be sure that it will be the reason x

totally agree with this!!

I feel I must comment becsuse bad smells are a pet hate! i have toothbrush soap etc at work coz i never forget having a facial from a therapist with bad breath! ewwwww!! :)

however i dont really think the problem is the microwave! the prob is the smell, whos stopping them going out and getting a curry and bringing it back! lol! it needs to be stipulated that smelly foods are a no-no! (we have a hairdresser who brings a tin of sardines for dinner some days, luckily are staff room is far enough away to prevent emitting smells) lol! cold egg butties so smell to attractive either in my opinion! - no microwave needed there!

i think its fair to say what a therapist cant eat in the salon while on duty! (im an employee and would not think twice if my boss asked me not to eat fish pie on my lunch ) just as its fair enough to tell them they have bad breath or a problem with personal odour! client comfort is paramount! they ultimately pay therapist wages!

i think maybe the best thing to do would to forewarn them that if the smell foods continue ... no microwave, etc..... but when it does go stipulate NO SMELLY FOOD!
:green:

I am truley sorry for any hurt caused... I did not take this post personally nor did I mean anyone else to take it personally, people have their views on this and so do I and I was just stating it.
I have taken on board other peoples opinions, and can completely understand them, to an extent.
I also didnt mean to start fights between fellow geeks,
I think this thread needs to be left alone now, so thats me signing out.
Again sorry.:hug:

Am afraid to reply on here after trading what I just have but well here goes.......

I totally agree about the removal of microwave and smelly foods. No one wants to pay for a relaxing treatment to be met with the smell of curry or whatever it may be.

One point to remember folks is that in theory there is no reason why any of our clients cannot stumble across Salon Geek through a simple google search, it's exactly how I found it. Now whether it is one of your clients or a fellow geeks this thread really does not paint us in a very good light!! What started off as a honest enquiry seems to now have turned into silly playground arguing.

Surely together we should be showing the friendly, professional face of therapists!

I am truley sorry for any hurt caused... I did not take this post personally nor did I mean anyone else to take it personally, people have their views on this and so do I and I was just stating it.
I have taken on board other peoples opinions, and can completely understand them, to an extent.
I also didnt mean to start fights between fellow geeks,
I think this thread needs to be left alone now, so thats me signing out.
Again sorry.:hug:

Just read through this entire thread.. !!!

You have no need to be sorry or feel guilty for certain members being hot headed as everyone seems to state " everyone has their own opinion"..

You only posted for advice and you got some excellant tips. IMO every salon should have their ettiquette rules and this needs to be stated at the start of any temporary or probationary period. If staff cannot respect and uphold a professional image then they should be not working in a salon.

hope you sort out your problem with less hassle than this thread hunni

Sarah x

Great thread, not so great personal posts...please send any posts that are aimed at 1 person and have a personal and totally unrelated theme from that of the thread by PM....all that stuff just ruins it for everyone else. Thank You :)

ok to get back to the original topic ... now i might not know the training theses days that they give hairdressers but in my day it was drummed into us nearly bloomin military style ... dress well , look decent and DO NOT EAT STINKY FOOD OR SMELL , lol
if we ever turned up any other way we got a serious dressing down and i tell you it happens once and you are too ashamed to let it happen twice :eek:
i think to be honest its all a bit soft with the bloomin "human rights brigade" yes people have rights but they are in a job working closely with people who are paying them for nice service .. its offensive if they stink !! end of .. i love onions but i dont eat em when i know i have a got a client in .. even the next day you can still stink as it comes out of your pores

lol i wholly agree there Dee.. i remember once i went out the previous night to a indian meal .. was quite aware i could still smell it the next day.. !!!! mistake not made again lol.. although my clients were not in the least bit muffled by it..

back in the days of me working as a beautician and throughout my college training (all 3 years of it ).. it was drummed into us about hygiene and personal odour.

I also worked in a salon which had a small back room for staff.. no micro wave no toaster and thus we brought our own in or went up to the cafe to get toasties for lunch.. no big deal.. and if the therapists were smokers.. had to change into civvies to go out for a smoke.. so tunics wernt smelly.. again a reasonable request..

we cant help clients that do come in stinking of ciggies, next day booze, garlic BO or cheesy feet lol.. but we can set ourselves standards to stick to.

and if that client has indeed complained re: cooking smells etc to the manager then the manager has every right to take action to ensure their salon is of the highest standard.

Sarah xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back