Starting mobile - cheap prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple Rose

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going mobile as I am a mum, and work a couple of days a week in a salon earning commission. It is very quiet in the shop and they are thinking about renting the room out on a monthly basis. I would love to do this but am only able to work fridays and saturdays and as I have young children I'm thinking that maybe I should go mobile instead, that way if I can't get a babysitter on a certain day then I can just not book in any clients. My query is if I do should I undercut everyone to get myself the clients as I only have a few at the moment. I do use CND, Bio Sculpture and perron rigot wax so can't be too cheap as need to cover my products but to get started is this an idea. Can't bring myself to buy cheap products as feel its better than buying cheap and buying twice. x

Hi, Im mobile and this just tends to be slightly cheaper than a salon round here anyway. You dont need to massively undercut them. Also dont use cheaper products you need to be able to sell yourself with great quality products and service.:hug:
Be carefull about customers coming to you from the Salon though as this could look bad. Obviously if you live far enough away it wont be the same clientelle.
Good luck hun, hope it goes well. Faye.x:hug:

I'm thinking about going mobile as I am a mum, and work a couple of days a week in a salon earning commission. It is very quiet in the shop and they are thinking about renting the room out on a monthly basis. I would love to do this but am only able to work fridays and saturdays and as I have young children I'm thinking that maybe I should go mobile instead, that way if I can't get a babysitter on a certain day then I can just not book in any clients. My query is if I do should I undercut everyone to get myself the clients as I only have a few at the moment. I do use CND, Bio Sculpture and perron rigot wax so can't be too cheap as need to cover my products but to get started is this an idea. Can't bring myself to buy cheap products as feel its better than buying cheap and buying twice. x

Dont undercut yourself too much hun! If your good and your using the top range products then you should charge what you worth, if your clients like their treatments they will come back to you.
If you want to undercut salons then thats great but only do it by about 1 or 2 pounds hths :hug:

Thanks, that is what I thought to, but wasn't too sure! I've heard that some people nearby charge just £20 for nail extensions and just £10 for manicures and pedicures, I just can't compete with those people as I'll be pretty much working for free. Its so hard, I really want to make this work as I've invested so much money into training with the best and buying the best.

Do you think I should do starting offers instead, I'm just worried that would only get people who will use me once and never again!

Don't drop your prices increase your treatment time and the clients experience!:hug: Rather than under cut in price exceed them in luxury!

Don't drop your prices increase your treatment time and the clients experience!:hug: Rather than under cut in price exceed them in luxury!

OOOOooo I like your thinking!!!! xx

Thanks, that is what I thought to, but wasn't too sure! I've heard that some people nearby charge just £20 for nail extensions and just £10 for manicures and pedicures, I just can't compete with those people as I'll be pretty much working for free. Its so hard, I really want to make this work as I've invested so much money into training with the best and buying the best.

Do you think I should do starting offers instead, I'm just worried that would only get people who will use me once and never again!

Ok hun as they are charging that price charge the same as them we have april coming up so perfect chance to do some offers i.e 15% off any treatment xx

If they like your treatment they will come running back hun

OOOOooo I like your thinking!!!! xx

Your business will grow mainly through word of mouth so you just need happy customers to succeed. It is much harder to put your prices up than to do special offers. If you want to get people to try do an introductory offer but keep your prices fair for you and the client. What would you be happy to pay for a good treatment? :hug:

Hi, I'm mobile too and you need to get away from the "only" mobile mindset - we are not a bit like mobile haridressers, more like a personal trainer. We supply everything, we have the same qualifications as salon therapists and we are doing the client a FAVOUR by going to them. Keep your prices as high as they need to be to cover your costs and provide you with a wage. The low-charge therapists that you see may only be doing this as a hobby and no need to earn a wage from it - people will
come back to you for your quality treatment and your quality products.
Nothing to stop you doing some special offers though - I find offering a reduction if two people have the same treatment really works - they have the fun of a friend round and you don't have the extra petrol costs/set-up and put-away time if you were to go to two houses - everyone wins!
Hang in there and good luck!

i mirror what everyone else has said .. dont undercut your prices, i have been put off many times in the past by products and services that seem to cheap or too good to be true!

also i have never understood why mobile beauty therapists are expected to be "cheaper" than salon based beauty treatments, ok i can appreciate the aforementioned have bigger overheads - but mobile therapists are bring the treatments to the clients home, for their convenience, so that they can have their treatment in the comfort of their own home etc ..

just my opinion though, lol

Be reasonable and competetive, but def not cheap! I have learnt that from experience! I remember someone posting on here once that if you are cheap, you attract cheap clients and I couldnt agree more. With mobile as well you are offering them a service in their own home, so that is a benefit! I went to a "customer" beauty show a couple of weeks ago, and picked up a few mobile therapist price lists, if you want a few ideas what they are charging let me know.xx

Be reasonable and competetive, but def not cheap! I have learnt that from experience! I remember someone posting on here once that if you are cheap, you attract cheap clients and I couldnt agree more. With mobile as well you are offering them a service in their own home, so that is a benefit! I went to a "customer" beauty show a couple of weeks ago, and picked up a few mobile therapist price lists, if you want a few ideas what they are charging let me know.xx

Ooo yeah that'll be fab if you could pm me some. Thanks hun x

In my experience, cheap prices attract the one off clients, and these are not your bread and butter.

Latest posts

Back