Starting out - furniture advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi

I'm doing my CND course in a few weeks after which I will be starting nails from home. To start with, this will be fit around my full time job hours until I've practised more and have a couple of regulars however, I want people to have the best experience with me so I've dedicated some space in my conservatory to have a little nail corner (this will also be my business name for the time being - The Little Nail Corner)

What do you guys recommend in terms of furniture - what would be the best nail table to go for? A proper salon one or, one that I've seen in Ikea. I want to get some nice chairs and shelves etc so any recommendations would be well received :)

Which class did you do? If it was Shellac, be wary of using the conservatory as you my cure your products in the sunlight. There are tech's who work out of their conservatories with no issues but others have experienced problems. If possible make sure you have some shade available be it blinds or positioning of the desk.

I have an Ikea table top, in truth it's slightly too wide but it's cheap, I make the clients sit up properly and 'come' to me. They are only at the desk for an hour or so, I can be at it all day so my positioning comes first.

There are lots of posts about tables and desks on here, use the search option for some suggestions.

Can't really give an advice on tables, as mine was made specifically.
However, I can share my experience with chairs. Currently I have big fancy leather office chair which I got for symbolic 2,50€ from IT company as they were buying new ones and throwing out old ones. It was used before, but still in tip-top condition. Compared to other chairs, I find this one the best, as I can set it on different heights and really lean back to relax.
In past I have had cheap office chairs - not comfy, if you have to sit on it all day. Also I have had chairs with no backing, you know those stools that spin - it's good for pedicures, but not manicures.
Most important aspect for me in choosing chair is that there is good selection of sitting height. So I would advise to get one, that you can set ridiculously high and ridiculously low. And you will have no problem using it for whatever you need.

Which class did you do? If it was Shellac, be wary of using the conservatory as you my cure your products in the sunlight. There are tech's who work out of their conservatories with no issues but others have experienced problems. If possible make sure you have some shade available be it blinds or positioning of the desk.

I have an Ikea table top, in truth it's slightly too wide but it's cheap, I make the clients sit up properly and 'come' to me. They are only at the desk for an hour or so, I can be at it all day so my positioning comes first.

There are lots of posts about tables and desks on here, use the search option for some suggestions.

I'll be doing the Shellac and L&P courses - I have done my homework and I'm already aware that the bottles can cure in the wrong environment. Luckily my set up isn't near a window - I have a very large conservatory and not all sides have windows :)

I know everyone is different but personally I would always get a proper nail table rather than buy one from Ikea. Buying a decent one has saved my back! They're the right size/height/width and usually come with drawers and wheels to move around easily and some have a built in extractor fan if you need it.

Mine ended up costing less than one from Ikea too, I bought a barely used one from eBay. It's the one I had my eye on from Ellisons and I got it for a third of the price and it was in immaculate condition! I watched eBay for about a month until I found it lol and glad I did

I know everyone is different but personally I would always get a proper nail table rather than buy one from Ikea. Buying a decent one has saved my back! They're the right size/height/width and usually come with drawers and wheels to move around easily and some have a built in extractor fan if you need it.

Mine ended up costing less than one from Ikea too, I bought a barely used one from eBay. It's the one I had my eye on from Ellisons and I got it for a third of the price and it was in immaculate condition! I watched eBay for about a month until I found it lol and glad I did

thanks for the tip - stupidly I didn't even think about eBay!

I love your business name!! I will also be working from my conservatory when I've got set up and cant think of anything :(

Latest posts

Back