Starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cridelbuono

Reaction score
Hi everybody! Hope everyone's having a good day!
I'm just after a bit of advice as I'll be soon starting out my beauty business.

I'm currently a qualified Hair&Makeup artist (but still working full time so I'm not doing too much with it, well, barely anything tbh) and just finishing my case studies for my Nouveau Lashes qualifications.

I just had an email from my council saying I wouldn't need a licence to do the treatments I will be qualifying for (yeah, a lot more to come!), either mobile or at home! So that bit is sorted...
I'm getting a lot of requests for lashes now but I'm not yet registered as self employed nor have insurance yet.
Can I actually get insurance without being self employed yet? Or do I have to register first?
Also how do you work out the costs for the use of the home for business?
Any other advice is more than welcome! :)

Hi, it’s very easy to register yourself as self employed and you don’t need any quals to do so, just go on the hmrc website and fill in the details. They do ask a lot and you have to set up a gateway ID and wait for them to send you a letter... very boring. Anyway, insurance is a little trickier as the good ones like salon gold and ABT will want certificates but you can still find ones that will accept you without them upfront. Make sure you read the small print though. You will need to do both of these before doing any treatments to cover your back in case something goes wrong and registering as a business will cover you in case anyone gets a case of the green eye.
You will only have to pay tax if you earn over 11k after taking all of your costs out, which I doubt you will in your first year, if anything, you might get a rebate. Although they will take into account earnings from your other job so maybe double check that, but you will be able to claim for things like the cost of your car, repairs and servicing, uniforms, all product and equipment costs, phone bills, petrol if your mobile (either 20% of all petrol so save receipts, or workout mileage) ect and from home you can claim a percentage of your bills, or if your treatment area is 20% of your house, you claim 20% of all your bills. If you add it up it might be more than you actually take. It’s all on the HMRC website
Good Luck! x

Just noticed this is an old thread so you’ve probably already sorted it [emoji85]

Latest posts

Back