Sterilizing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illijanna

Reaction score
Do any of you sterilize your tools/equiptment?
I use barbicide at the moment and was wondering whether you would need to sterilize aswell?
If you do sterilize what do you use?
This site has taught me soooooo much already,thank goodness it's here!

Yes I think you'll find that we all sterilize. Barbicide is cool for all your metal tools or for any thing that may come in to conact with a clients blood. For files and other stuff I use Star Nails Protect Trigger spray. It seems to work well You spray leave on for 10 min and then wipe. Only draw back is that sometimes you do not have 10 mins in between clients to leave before you wipe. At college we used surgical spirit.

sterilize or sanitize, 2 completely different things ?

If you do a search on sanitize, sterelize you'll find loads of stuff to read.

nailzoo said:
sterilize or sanitize, 2 completely different things ?

Sanitize is a method of killing some but no all micro organisms and is what we generally use on our hands, i.e gels and handwash. Sterilize is chemical or heat and is not safe to use on the skin. It is the moethod used to clean all metal objects and/or those tools that come in to contact with blood. It kills all micro organisms.

I use Chlori-spray from designer nails.
you can spray tools, files and hard surfaces with it, cheap too :wink2:

I think that it's not practical to sterilize in a salon - correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what i was taught on my course, as sterilization is what we do in invasive procedures (eg in hospital)
we sanitise - wash hands, which reduces the amount of pathogens.
We disinfect tools/equipment (chlori spray etc...) which removes pathogens from a surface (excluding spores)
Sterilisation completly destroys pathogens and spores.

Sterilise and Sanitise are 2 different things!

:)
Sterilisation Destroys all living organisms!
You Need to carry this out on all of your metal tools that have been in contact with the skin.

Use either a chemical sterilising solution like Barbicide, ensuring you rinse all off the solution off after it has been submerged for about 20 mins or better still an autoclave moist heat under pressure. I always have 2/3 set of metal tools so I can circulate and sterilise after each client.

Sanitisation Reduces the amount of the micro organisms on a surface, this could be washing your hands in a detergent or the use of a spray Sanitiser, I use Salon System file+ antiseptic spray, which you use to sanitise the nail and files/ buffers.

Hope this helps
Derry

Ok - I'm only reading what is says in my manual now and it says that barbicide disinfects. (not sterilize)

and re sterilization - "this level of decontamination is generally only used where tools or implements may enter the body through procedures like surgery and therefore is a very expensive and unecessary process to use in a nail salon"

Suzie.e said:
Ok - I'm only reading what is says in my manual now and it says that barbicide disinfects. (not sterilize)

and re sterilization - "this level of decontamination is generally only used where tools or implements may enter the body through procedures like surgery and therefore is a very expensive and unecessary process to use in a nail salon"

Sherry

I have just spoken to my local council and they said that tools used that enter the body need to be sterilized and that barbicide is enough for the general nail tech!!! The lady i spoke to is going to send me more info on this.If you are offering electrolysis however that's a different story.

Suzie.e said:

I'm with you Suzie.e.............

Barbicide is a Disinfectant....and sanitising and disinfection are all that are required in a nail salon......as we do not offer any invasive procedures!!

Just to confirm...sterilisation is a procedure that would be carried out in a hospital theatre for example, where the body is actually going to be opened up by tools that would obviously have to be completely free of living organisms...the same applies to dentists, etc....as nail techs we are not entering any opening of the body, tissue, etc., therefore disinfection with Barbicide (which kills all living organisms but not spores) is adequate for out tools. This is also why working on open wounds and sores is a contra-indication!!!!!

andrelax said:
Yes I think you'll find that we all sterilize.
NOT so - we should all be sanitising and we should all be disinfecting - unless we are performing surgery whilst performing nail procedures :eek: - there is no need to sterilize at all!

Barbicide is cool for all your metal tools
- absolutely

or for any thing that may come in to contact with a clients blood
- NO, that would be when 'steriliizing comes in; except hopefully you won't be causing the client to bleed :eek: It worries me when things like this are written - we are performing treatments (luxurious treatments) not making clients bleed! Use abrasives with care and no less than a 240grit on the natural nail - you do not need to buff the natural nail anymore that 3 swipes whilst performing prep - anymore and you are thinning the nail plate!

Mrs Geek said:
NOT so - we should all be sanitising and we should all be disinfecting - unless we are performing surgery whilst performing nail procedures :eek: - there is no need to sterilize at all!

- absolutely

- NO, that would be when 'steriliizing comes in; except hopefully you won't be causing the client to bleed :eek: It worries me when things like this are written - we are performing treatments (luxurious treatments) not making clients bleed! Use abrasives with care and no less than a 240grit on the natural nail - you do not need to buff the natural nail anymore that 3 swipes whilst performing prep - anymore and you are thinning the nail plate!

:o Thanks for the correction.
Also I'd just like to add that I have NEVER made a client bleed, however unfortunately there is a first time for everything.

xxxx

I've just gone away and had a quick think. In salons they put all thiere metal tools in Barbicide. Now, on occasion I'm sure that someone has cut a client. So what would be the procedure there when it comes to cleaning tools?

andrelax said:
I've just gone away and had a quick think. In salons they put all thiere metal tools in Barbicide. Now, on occasion I'm sure that someone has cut a client. So what would be the procedure there when it comes to cleaning tools?

here's the thing... I guess when you are poking around someones tummy or 'bit's :eek: - I imagine it is ultra important to 'sterilize' otherwise they sow you back up and you have all sorts of grebs growing inside you. Now, if we make someone bleed (and in my time, I did Andrelax so yes, you have plenty of time:smack: ), you are going to want to 1) throw away the abrasive or 2), wash the metal nail tool in soap and water and them immerse in Barbicide.

Don't forget, once you have taken out the tools from an autoclave (for sterilizing), hey - they are no longer sterile!!! Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Cheers Mrs. Geek. I won't be makin that mistake again.

Yeh...and don't forget IF you should make someone bleed (but try REALLY hard not to) immediately dab the cut with solar oil (not from the brush, use a dropper) this will help to stem any flow of blood and aid the cut to heal quicker!

Thanks for clearing that up Fiona and Mrs.Geek........ I learnt it for the exam, then doubted myself and went back and saw it in the manual,
sadly - I have cut 2 people when filing (but my excuse is I'm new!!) didn't know about stopping it with the solar oil - hoping I won't need to again but useful to know!!

Latest posts

Back