Stripping advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hay0510

Reaction score
hi i currently have a mix of henna and normal brown hair colour on but want to go all ginger to match the henna. the henna i use does not have metallic salts in so i dont need to worry about a reaction with normal hair colours.
Does anyone have any advice on how i can do this as many hairdressers local to me dont know what henna is so i dont trust them to mess with my hair.

thanks in advance

I would not attempt this yourself,

I would go to a salon that you trust and they can take test cuttings and strand test the hair and see what the results are without actually doing the process on your hair.

This is your best option.

True henna reacts badly to almost all chemical processes, and it's not because of metallic salts. Quite often it can't be stripped out at all, I've tried on a couple of occasions and not been able to budge it.
It really is terrible stuff, and I would urge you to rethink using it, it doesn't condition your hair, makes it no shinier than good quality colours, and you are just as likely to react to it as normal para dyes.

Try and find a hairdresser with lots of experience in colour correction, and insist on strand tests first. Be aware that almost no hairdressers will apply henna for you as we regard it as unsafe and unpredictable.

I wouldn't expect anyone to apply henna for me I have been using it for over a year now and never had a problem. It is the normal brown hair colour I want stripped out so I can apply ginger over it not henna.
Wherever i have been in my area say the brown normal colour will not lift which i don't understand as it is a standard dye used in salons :-/

I wouldn't expect anyone to apply henna for me I have been using it for over a year now and never had a problem. It is the normal brown hair colour I want stripped out so I can apply ginger over it not henna.
Wherever i have been in my area say the brown normal colour will not lift which i don't understand as it is a standard dye used in salons :-/

Not if henna has been applied to the hair since.

Also a hairdresser won't just strip hair for you to recolour. It doesn't work that way as colours will behave differently on stripped hair. If you are insisting on colouring it yourself, it may explain why nobody is willing to strip your hair. I know that I'd refuse it.

I'm not going to dye it myself I want them to dye the stripped bit ginger to match my hair. The brown does not have any Henna on it at all.
it is a L'Oreal brown that a salon applied that has not lifted with the strand tests the salons i have tried hence why i have come for advice on here.

Hi, persianista is one of the most expert colourists on this forum, i'd take her advice or why not just slap some more henna on if you like it so much?:biggrin:

If you don't trust professionals who have trained for years, why on earth do you think you can do a better job?!

Talk about a slap n the face. You are basically saying that you, with no experience and better at colouring your hair than any of us.

I never once said I was better. All I have said is that the brown has no henna on so I don't understand why it is not lifting. I understand alot of people have had bad experiences with henna but as I haven't then I don't see why I would stop using it.
I came on here for additional advice as my local salons could help. I have just gave answers to what she has said. At no point have I said that the information is wrong!

I never once said I was better. All I have said is that the brown has no henna on so I don't understand why it is not lifting. I understand alot of people have had bad experiences with henna but as I haven't then I don't see why I would stop using it.
I came on here for additional advice as my local salons could help. I have just gave answers to what she has said. At no point have I said that the information is wrong!

Its the messing with your hair comment that riled some I think. I do believe that after years of training and experience that a stylist does not "mess" with hair.
I certainly don't mess with hair, I colour and style to perfection.

I get that but to me when a hairdresser asks me what henna is or asks me what chemicals I add to it they don't have a great amount of skill hence the messing comment. This is why I came here for extra advice on the colour. I have been to all the well known hair salons on my area and not one could get it to strip, granted I refused to try some as they didn't understand henna so that worried me a bit. No way was i out to give a slap in the face more to explain. Sorry.

You have had a bad experience with henna, you have brown and ginger hair and the brown can't be lifted out.
You assert that no henna has been on it, but also say you've been using henna for the past year, so henna has gone on the brown bits, hence why they won't lift.

Sigh

My advice?

As you feel you know best, take a stab in the dark and disregard all our explanations and advice. Watch some you tube vids on colour correction so you become an instant expert. Have a bash at it, you'll probably do it better than me.
Good luck.

I have half my head in henna and half in normal dye hence half brown and half ginger.
I don't see why U won't except there is no henna on the brown.
Guess coming on here for advice wasn't as helpful as i thought it would be....

I have half my head in henna and half in normal dye hence half brown and half ginger.

Is it the front half of your head in henna and the back in brown? or the top half henna and bottom half brown?

I would not attempt this yourself,

I would go to a salon that you trust and they can take test cuttings and strand test the hair and see what the results are without actually doing the process on your hair.

This is your best option.

True henna reacts badly to almost all chemical processes, and it's not because of metallic salts. Quite often it can't be stripped out at all, I've tried on a couple of occasions and not been able to budge it.
It really is terrible stuff, and I would urge you to rethink using it, it doesn't condition your hair, makes it no shinier than good quality colours, and you are just as likely to react to it as normal para dyes.

Try and find a hairdresser with lots of experience in colour correction, and insist on strand tests first. Be aware that almost no hairdressers will apply henna for you as we regard it as unsafe and unpredictable.

I think the only problem here was the advice was not what you wanted to hear.

However it is good advice from experienced and knowledgable hair colourists and stylists.

I hope you do find a hairdresser that you trust to take care of your hair and not just someone who will do what you want.

i have found a hairdresser who understood what was wrong with my hair. After three different stand tests she managed to get it to lift with no problems.
thank guys

I was told that henna was banned and can't be bought any more.

Latest posts

Back