Suggestions why cracks are appearing..?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blonde bombsite

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Did my Sister in Law's nails about a fortnight ago (UV Acrylic Tips). She phoned today to say that cracks have appeared on some of them - like cracks in glass (I haven't seen them yet). Any suggestions as to what is causing this? I wondered whether it is because I haven't done them thick enough? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ta, Claire xx

Cracks don't just 'appear' unless pressure has been put on the enhancements and they have bent.

You may have done them too thin .... She may have been too heavy handed.
Is she used to wearing her nails at a longer length?
Were her nails very short to begin with?
Is the length you chose to give her too long for her activity level?

In my opinion one of the biggst technician faults with new clients is giving them nails that are either too long in the first place, OR certainly too long in a week or 2 after application.

hi claire, this is my first post - ooo errr,

not sure whether you mean cracks in the product or tips, i have experienced cracks in clear tips, like you said glass like cracks , the ones i had ran from the free edge up to the smile line! i think that the tips i used were quite rigid and not very flexible, so i changed to another brand and since then, fingers crossed no cracks at all, hip hooray!! hope this helps

Zoe x:D

Thanks for your replies. As I said, I haven't actually seen her nails yet so i dunno whether it is the product or the tips that have cracked. Perhaps Geeg is right and I have simply done them too long for her activity level. In the meantime, any other replies are welcome and I will keep you posted after I see them myself on Tuesday and also see whether any of the others come back to me with the same problem. Thanks again, x

zoek said:
hi claire, this is my first post - ooo errr,

not sure whether you mean cracks in the product or tips, i have experienced cracks in clear tips, like you said glass like cracks , the ones i had ran from the free edge up to the smile line! i think that the tips i used were quite rigid and not very flexible, so i changed to another brand and since then, fingers crossed no cracks at all, hip hooray!! hope this helps

Zoe x:D

If it's the tip then there are a few reasons this could be. Your tip cutters could be blunt, or you could be using too curved a tip on too flat a nail plate. I have had probs with this in the past and these 2 things have been the cause. There was a recent thread about this which had other hints as well if you do a search.

Thanks Sassy, didn't consider the curve factor...that might be it. Haven't got a selection of tips yet, other than the two sets I got in my 'starter kit'. Thank you all. Love this site... everyone is so keen to help. Love it, love it, love it!!! Claire x

Sassy Hassy said:
If it's the tip then there are a few reasons this could be. Your tip cutters could be blunt, or you could be using too curved a tip on too flat a nail plate. I have had probs with this in the past and these 2 things have been the cause. There was a recent thread about this which had other hints as well if you do a search.

Not saying this is the case, But as Geeg has put pressure and trauma tend to cause these cracks....I have seen it on clients who tend to nibble on their enhancements as well :evil:

Just wanted to add my little bit - Sounds like the application is a little too thin to me, so when she's using pressure, its beginning to crack, if you know what I mean? Ask her when, why etc etc. Its amazing what you find out when you do that.

As Geeg said it could be the length too.

Have a good look and let us know about it.

Sassy Hassy said:

If my cutters are blunt do I need a new pair or can they be sharpened? Do I sound really thick ha ha

appyarry said:
If my cutters are blunt do I need a new pair or can they be sharpened? Do I sound really thick ha ha

You can just buy a replacement blade , you don't need a new set :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back