Taking on a Saturday girl/guy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hey all hope your having a good weekend?!

I have been asked by a family friend to employ her daughter (15 yrs) on a Saturday for a few hours.

Just wondered if anyone has done this? And i hate to ask what did you pay for a junior? Is it the same as a apprentice rate (i got paid ten pound a day & loved it..many years back though )
If its just 'help' do i have to do it by the book? Ie pay an apprentice rate/ National minimum wage? Insure ect?

I don't want to get into trouble but i don't really want to employ properly until ive been established a bit longer and then i want it to be someone i can mould xx

Last edited:
If you can afford it and can benefit with the extra help then I'd give her a trial, they don't have to worry about national insurance or anything like that as they won't be earning anything near the threshold, we have a young girl on a Saturday she gets £25 and helps us keep tidy she wants to hair so hopefully by the time she leaves school she will want full time (with a good idea what's expected by then). Don't employ anyone as a favour to them, make sure it benefits you. X

I have been asked by a family friend to employ her daughter (15 yrs) on a Saturday for a few hours.
x

At 15, I'd have expected her to come and ask you directly. You might find it's entirely the mum's idea and she's not that interested. Consider suggesting a trial day(s) to see how it works out so that you can easily terminate the arrangement if it doesn't suit you.

Hope this helps, living wage is going up as of April, so if you do employ her I would start her off at the new living wage.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1486900087.375019.jpg

It's ok to say no if it's not going to work for you.

Or due to budget constraints you could offer just a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. Even that can help a young person get a feel for if being in an industry is right for them.

She's a good girl to be honest and i could do with the extra pair of hands when its busy (as and when) ...25 per day i could do around her studies. ..

Totally know what you mean, at 15 i would have done it myself too! X

For a 6 hour day, your looking at £25.00 .....£4.05 is the rate you need to pay.
My Saturday assistant is sooooo worth it, and leaves the salon with on average £10.00 in tips.
Happy day's! :p

You need to apply to your local council too to have an under 15 working for you, I pay mine £20 a day

Latest posts

Back