teaching nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaza

Reaction score
hi everyone, i really need your help i would have posted it sooner but my computer crashed.
Here i go, i have been asked to go into my local college and do some nail art with the first years tomorrow as their nail art tutor hasnt been able to go in.
I am no expert as im just self taught and have never been on a course myself, these studernts have never done any nail art before and wanted to know if you had any ideas as of what to start with. its only an hour and i have done some step by step handouts.
any advice would be great thanks
zoe

Hiya, I'm self taught too!

If I were you I would keep it simple, just stripes and flicks, and maybe foils and a bit of freehand painting.
Most of the time the simple designs look stunning, just tell them to use their imagination after showing them the basics!
Hope you get on ok, let me know how it goes
Luv Tina

I agree with wobbly, just keep it simple. Another good way to start is to use rhinestones, there the simplest to apply and look stunning. Another good one are water decals, a little fiddly but no skill required.

Good luck! I know how nerve-racking it is at first but remember your there because your the expert!

Karenx

How about little flowers with a dotting tool? You could always ask Glorsclaws, Im sure she did a course at the local college teaching nail art a while back and she had loads of ideas! x

Aspirations said:
How about little flowers with a dotting tool? You could always ask Glorsclaws, Im sure she did a course at the local college teaching nail art a while back and she had loads of ideas! x
OOh thanks for that :o ... sorry I hadnt seen this thread!

Probably too late too catch you with this now but....
I always start my classes off with the simple stuff. Striping (flicks & tiger stripes) and dotting (animal footprints & flowers) are the classics but, sponging is always done in my first lesson as anyone can get great results with that, a simple make-up sponge and a dab of paint... Im wearing it right now... silver over a classic french.. very delicate & pretty!
Good luck... hope you and your students enjoy! ;)

Glorsclaws said:
a simple make-up sponge and a dab of paint... Im wearing it right now... silver over a classic french.. very delicate & pretty!
Good luck... hope you and your students enjoy! ;)

we have gotta see a piccy glo!

Jess
xox

yeh come on glo we need to see these nails hun. ive never tried sponging before so would really like to have a go.

I dont teach this in the college but do nail art parties and tend to teach the kids, flicks and tiger stripes, flowers and paw prints and striper tape in a triangle with glitter infill looks really effective
HTH

Well this is the pic in this months Guild mag... http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=8073&highlight=sponging
... but most peeps prefer a subtle version.
What Im wearing looks totally gorg, french tips with one coat of Creative's Moonlight & Roses, silver acrylic paint sponged on top ...subtle enough for bridal me thinks :wink2:
The reason there is just the one nail here is because I have every nail in a diff shape at the mo :eek: (just something else Im working) on but, now they look kinda silly. :o

hi thanks everyone for the ideas, my step by step handouts are flowers using a dotting tool cos i find them easy peasy to do, never done the make up sponge one so will try that, do you just do a few demonstrations then and let them have a go. Im gonna take all my designs in for them to have a look at and i have about 40 two way pens that they can play around with, aswell as whatever the college has. I am so nervous.
zoe. x

Hiya,
If you're nervous, I would do the sponging technique first, or at least the dotting... you dont need a particularly steady hand for that, and you will shake... trust me, I know!
The way I do it is, explain about the tool and its uses, they have my demo boards in the middle of the table, and hand outs to hand, I then demonstrate, then they practice.
I usually do one technique and get them to practice, because I have found that if they are new to nail art, even with the simple techiniques, when they come to do it themselves... they have forgotten what you have shown them, and need your help,lol!
This is where youll forget your own nerves and get stuck in :wink2:

Hi guys thanks for all the help, i just thought i would let you know today went really well and they want me to stay now.
i couldnt have done it without you.
zoe. x

Im really pleased for you Zo.....well done!!!!
:Love:

Well done Zo really pleased for you, did you shake with nerves i know i normally do:)

Well done Zo!!!!
Really pleased that it went sooooo well for your first time!!
I bet you were really nervous.
Keep us up to date with how you get on.
Lots of luck and best wishes
Tina
x

Latest posts

Back