Thinking of becoming a hairstylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSLexi

Reaction score
Hey guys, ladies!

Well, here's my story:

Up til now, I was a microbiology student at University of Leeds. I enjoyed the subject, but...around September of last year, I came out as MTF transgender, and my life fell apart. I got beaten up several times, my parents were unaccepting, and all of this threw me into a huge depression and I started failing classes because I just didn't have any energy. My parents cut my funding, and I was forced to return here to California. They also took all of my girl stuff (my hormones, 7" stiletto boots, my Illamasqua make-up kit, and forced me to remove my weave).

Currently, I'm looking for a job (the local liquor store is hiring, and I plan to go in next week to inquire) so I can restart my transition, move out, and pay for cosmetology school.

I've always been interested in hair and fashion and beauty, but I repressed those interests because my parents would be freaked. I loved watching my mom's stylist cut and color her hair, and I was so interested in the art behind it, and I wished I could do the same. When I had my weave, I would keep it elaborately-styled.

I've always considered myself more of an artist than a scientist anyway.

I plan to attend my local community college's (Cerritos College in Norwalk) cosmetology program, and work as a salon assistant during. Then, once I'm licensed, I'll apprentice somewhere do further training. Once I build up a client base, I'll rent a booth at a high-end salon. Maybe eventually pursue training in extensions and open my own salon.

I really want to cater to TG clients like myself, as hairstyle can make or break their new life, and I definitely know that. When I got my weave and it was cut with a side-swept fringe, I started passing very well (though my facial structure could still give me away if you looked hard enough, even with make-up. And I know that a men's short cut and a women's short cut are different, and that can make an FTM look like a butch lesbian if their stylist isn't careful.

Can you guys give me any advice? Would being transgender be a problem in getting an apprenticeship? I know I definitely wouldn't make much starting out, likely $10/hr (still more than the liquor store), but how much could I eventually make? I know some stylists at upscale places can make $40/hr+; I plan to offer full-service: men's, women's, children's, cuts, styling, coloring, chemical tx, and maybe eventually extensions. How many clients is usually average per day? 8 clients/weekday, 4 clients on Saturday?

Thanks!

Lexi

Hi Lexi,

I'm afraid I can't offer you the advice you need. I couldn't leave without replying though (and I'm very much a lurker! ). I just want to wish you luck. It sounds like you already have your usp :) I'm also on a journey to the complete career change from a science based job to nail technician (which happily includes biology and chemistry).

It sounds like you have already been through a lot, which I'm sure has made you stronger, more resilient and aware of your true passions.

With these skills I'm sure you will succeed, and be able to conquer any opposition that you face.

I hope your family decides to accept your choices, and good luck!

xxx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek

Hi Lexi,

I'm afraid I can't offer you the advice you need. I couldn't leave without replying though (and I'm very much a lurker! ). I just want to wish you luck. It sounds like you already have your usp :) I'm also on a journey to the complete career change from a science based job to nail technician (which happily includes biology and chemistry).

It sounds like you have already been through a lot, which I'm sure has made you stronger, more resilient and aware of your true passions.

With these skills I'm sure you will succeed, and be able to conquer any opposition that you face.

I hope your family decides to accept your choices, and good luck!

xxx

Thanks! BTW, what's "usp"? Never seen that abbreviation before!

Lexi

Usp=unique selling point :)

I really do hope they accept the real you xxx

That you want to cater to transgender clients

That you want to cater to transgender clients

Yeah! Probably donate part of my fees and tips to a transgender charity too.

LOL, based on my personal style and stuff, I'd end up being that very queeny always-stylish tranny that comes into work in 7" kinky boots, caked with make-up and elaborately-styled hair.

Once my real hair grows past my shoulders, I plan to get it relaxed, colored a passionate blood red with dark chocolate lowlights and blonde tips, styled in an elaborate updo with a long ponytail and a side-swept fringe. I love dark, glam-goth make-up.

I'm probably going to also cross-train in make-up artistry. I LOVE make-up. One of Illamasqua's star make-up artists, Drew-Ashlyn Cunningham, also a tgirl, said I really should pursue it, as I was very good at it.

Last edited:
Aw thats lovely, you sound so passionate and excited for your future. How can you possibly fail?!

Aw thats lovely, you sound so passionate and excited for your future. How can you possibly fail?!

Same way I failed at becoming a scientist/doctor...at the very least hairstyling doesn't require 5+ years of school before you can start working, just to get good!

Depression is a valid reason for your troubles with that course!

Depression is a valid reason for your troubles with that course!

Yep...parents don't see it that way though, sadly...I would've loved to at least finish it!

To be honest just because you are transgender it shouldn't stop you doing what you want !
I think if you want to become a stylist then do it , like you said you need to raise money to get on the course , so hopefully you will get the job .
As for starting out everyone starts of quiet then clientele builds up once you have gained experience , at the end of the day of you really want to do something thee is nothing that should stop you !
Good luck Xxx

To be honest just because you are transgender it shouldn't stop you doing what you want !
I think if you want to become a stylist then do it , like you said you need to raise money to get on the course , so hopefully you will get the job .
As for starting out everyone starts of quiet then clientele builds up once you have gained experience , at the end of the day of you really want to do something thee is nothing that should stop you !
Good luck Xxx

Thanks!!! And if anyone in my family should become a hairstylist, it should be my Mom...she'd cut my hair when I was a guy, and I always got complimented on it. Now I'm in the process of growing it out so I can get it restyled in the aforementioned femme style I'd adore, so she doesn't cut it anymore. I hate being in that weird phase where the hair is too long to spike, but too short to really style. And my hair is curly so it's just a hot mess now.

i just want to offer my support and wish you well:)

i just want to offer my support and wish you well:)

Thanks so much!!! I've always wondered...how many transgender hairstylists are out there?

BTW: how does a 45 deg, 90 deg, and 180 deg haircut actually differ from each other? I know they do, but how does changing the angle at which you hold the hair while cutting change the style?

In the exam, while doing the back of a 90 deg haircut, can you just gather all of the bottom layer, twist it gently, and cut 1" off with the razor...wouldn't that make it easier to get an even cut since you don't have to stop and start? Or would that royally screw something up?

When someone wants a cut and color, do you color the hair first, or do you cut it first? I don't remember, it's been so long since I went with mom to her stylist.

You will learn all you need when you start the course , in the meantime you tube is good , and there is a lot of information online also if you use the search on here there is a lot of threads on all sorts which will help you c

Where do you live? We have an area in Seattle called capitol hill. You would love it there and would do well. Lots of transgender and gays. We had a transgender apply at a high end salon in bellevue wa which is a more ritzy area and sadly he was discriminated against. It all depends on where you apply and your skill.

I live in Long Beach, CA, and I'd love to work in LA, NYC, or SF. Probably by the time I complete cosmetology school my transition would be nearly complete and I'd have my ID and stuff all updated, so nobody could claim I was trans unless I told them. I also passed very well while I was in England.

BTW, was that transgender who was discriminated against a transwoman or a transman? You should only use he if its a transman; I, and many other transwomen, get very offended if you call us he.

BTW, could you please answer my questions; I haven't found any youtubes that actually explain my question.

Since you haven't actually started your course and are not yet a Hair professional, our professionals on here will not be able to give you advise on cutting hair, this would need to be shown to you during your Course.
Good Luck with it when you finally get started.

Latest posts

Back