Thinking of becoming a hairstylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the responses. Any other advice you can give me? I'm quite open about my TG status, but should I not be during interviews for assistantships and apprenticeships?

Do most high-end salons want me to dress conservatively, or is it okay for me to dress how I normally dress, i.e. flaming. Would wearing my hair in a flamboyant and elaborate style help indicate my skill?

Lexi

Thanks so much!!! I've always wondered...how many transgender hairstylists are out there?

BTW: how does a 45 deg, 90 deg, and 180 deg haircut actually differ from each other? I know they do, but how does changing the angle at which you hold the hair while cutting change the style?

In the exam, while doing the back of a 90 deg haircut, can you just gather all of the bottom layer, twist it gently, and cut 1" off with the razor...wouldn't that make it easier to get an even cut since you don't have to stop and start? Or would that royally screw something up?

When someone wants a cut and color, do you color the hair first, or do you cut it first? I don't remember, it's been so long since I went with mom to her stylist.
HI
you will learn all of this on your course. i recommend youtube, text books and practice practice practice. good luck :D

HI
you will learn all of this on your course. i recommend youtube, text books and practice practice practice. good luck :D

Currently I'm trying to get a job so I can move out of my transphobic parents' house, restart my transition, and pay for cosmetology school. Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back