Thinking of renting a room instead of being employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MUA

Reaction score
Thinking of asking my boss who currently employs me if she would be willing to let me rent a room instead of being employed.

There is loads of courses I want to do that I will know will be successful also it would save me moving salons and finding a room to rent.

Do any of you think this is cheeky? How do I go about it??

I don't think it's cheeky :) it's natural progression really. Although we may love our jobs, essentially we work to make money. So I'd definitely ask her as she will let you know one way or another whether you should stay or look somewhere else :)

It's a reasonable question. Nothing to lose because it sounds like you're ready to move onto self employment anyway.

I agree that self employment is better for taking your knowledge and treatment menu in a direction that you are more passionate about.

Yes, but sell it to her as an opportunity that will benefit her business rather than why it fulfils your needs.

Point out that a weekly rent of £xx will be a guaranteed income throughout the year regardless of the quiet times. Are you a popular team member? Point out that the clients will not notice any real change since she's not losing you to another salon this way etc...

When negotiating anything, do your homework thoroughly and always try to look at the situation from the other side so that you understand and can counter any concerns they might raise.

It really all depends upon how much money you make for your boss. Renting a room will bring him in say £200 max. If you earn him £100 a day profit he will be losing £300 a week. As a boss I'd say no! And then start to look for someone to train up to replace you

But don't let that put you off asking, but prepared it might start off a chain reaction to get ready to replace you.

Have in place an exit strategy, plans on what to do if the above starts to happen. Good luck x

As Beckybee says probably not in your bosses favour.
Your other option is to look else where, and rent a room? Then u are your own boss start a fresh. X

Latest posts

Back