Tip long nails or overlay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOE!

Reaction score
Hi, i have someone who wants there nails done but i dont know what to do. She has very long nail beds and some of her nails are very long and some are quite short. She told me she always used to get tip and overlay from another salon and thats what she wants. But what do i do, do i just shorten all her nails to the same length and tip?

Can you sculpt? This way if she wants to keep the length of her nails then you only have to sculpt the shorter ones to match?

It does depend on what she wants as far as pink and whites or natural. If she wants pink and whites then i would say tip all the ones that are too short and natural overlay the rest. Or you can sculpt the ones that need extending and overlay the ones that don't.

I personally don't like cutting off perfectly nice long nails just because they are all different lengths. But if your client wants this, then i would advise her differently, but if that's what she wants, then you need to do what the client is asking for at the end of the day. (as long as it's doable.)

I dont really mix tips n natural nails or sculpts n nat nails as I just dont think it looks right, the odd one yeah but the c-curves are usually wonky from finger to finger. It does depend on length tho' as I cant file down a beautiful nat nail, but sometimes I do as I encourage the client to start fresh and grow out the tip to a nat nail overlay.

thanks for replying, some of her nails are very long and i wanted to make sure before i filed them off. So do i just leave them long and do a natural overlay and tip the rest?

zoeCU said:
thanks for replying, some of her nails are very long and i wanted to make sure before i filed them off. So do i just leave them long and do a natural overlay and tip the rest?

Hi, How many of her nails are really long? if it is just a couple then I would just file them down....if its more than 5 then the overlay would probably be best and tip the others....
IF and I mean IF you are confident that you can make them all look the same !! If you think that the client or anyone that sees these nails will be able to spot the ones that are tipped because they look different to the overlays ....then do a full set of tips and overlay...keep them all the same..until you get more experienced with overlays....
You are a trained technician and you will not damage her natural nails no matter what type of enhancement you put on....but if you do take the length down on these longer nails just explain that...and the fact that they will all be an even length under the enhancement and if she keeps her rebalance appointments her nails will all grow to the longer length when eventually you can soak off and do a gorgeous overlay on them all......HTH

izzidoll said:
Hi, How many of her nails are really long? if it is just a couple then I would just file them down....if its more than 5 then the overlay would probably be best and tip the others....
IF and I mean IF you are confident that you can make them all look the same !! If you think that the client or anyone that sees these nails will be able to spot the ones that are tipped because they look different to the overlays ....then do a full set of tips and overlay...keep them all the same..until you get more experienced with overlays....
You are a trained technician and you will not damage her natural nails no matter what type of enhancement you put on....but if you do take the length down on these longer nails just explain that...and the fact that they will all be an even length under the enhancement and if she keeps her rebalance appointments her nails will all grow to the longer length when eventually you can soak off and do a gorgeous overlay on them all......HTH

overlay long nails and sculpt short nails

Since she has long beds to start...I'd say clip the nails down so they are all even and then apply a set of tips (clear tips if you are going to do a p&w) I'm guessing since she said she always used to get tips and overlay before...she likes the uniform look of the tips as the foundation.

Just the Yankee's opinion...lol

Thanks guys, i have a better understanding now on what to do.

izzidoll said:
if she keeps her rebalance appointments her nails will all grow to the longer length when eventually you can soak off and do a gorgeous overlay on them all......HTH

Why would you soak off and do an overlay? Surely by then the tips would be gone from you shortening the clients nails during rebalance?

izzidoll said:

Agree with Izzy here, it does depend on the final look you want for your client, if you overlay the existing 'long' nails for your client, how different will they look to the nails you have tipped? Say for example, she has ski jump or ski slope nails, it just ain't gonna look right!! If she has perfect nails then fair play.

Personally, I would start from scratch and either tip or sculpt the lot, you want her repeat business don't you, and having odd looking nails isn't going to help that .

HTH!

Cheers Cathie, i agree. Just needed advice so i feel comfortable knowing i am doing the right thing. x

Latest posts

Back