To all disheartened Techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie111

Reaction score
I put a post on here nearly two weeks ago that I had just done the worst set of nails ever, they were nail biters and I was ashamed of them when I finished. I nearly turned the lady away because I didn't think I could do them.Anyway the lady said she would book in for a infill and yes I gave her an after care leaflet thinking she wouldn't even glance at it and on her way she went. Anyway I was really gutted about these nails, couldn't believe what a mess they were, I'd only been working in the salon a week.
Went up to the salon today and she has booked in for her infills on Saturday. All her nails are intact. I was totally shocked as was the salon owner as she has known her for years and she always has her fingers in her mouth.
So to all of you, who like me get really disheartened sometimes at the nails you produce or face a really difficult challenge (like nail biters) there is hope. If I can do it so can you.
One small problem, I used flawless pink and it looked like bubble gum because I didn't mix with another colour, is there anything I can do about this on Saturday?

Well Done Maria on converting the dreaded nail biter. :biggrin:

Well done!
It just goes to show we can all do it, even if we`re not so impressed with what we do, the clients are happy and you`ve obviously done something right if they`re all still intact.
As for the colour - you could try mixing it with other colours to take the bubblegum look away, there are so many different ways to mix and not knowing what colours you have its hard to advise.
Do a search on here and look at mixes people have done and see if there are any options for you

well done marie,
i told you to have faith in yourself, and all would come good.

Thanks Marie, I feel like you did sometimes (like yesterday!) whilst I am practicing (not out in the field yet) and you are so right, there is hope!

Back in the saddle I get today to do another set!

Way to go Marie! Keep up the hard work!

In some ways its good to hear that not every one finds being a nail tech easy.

Infact it just goes to show that to be a nail tech ( a credable one) an extremely big amount of dedication, effort, hard work and practice is needed. The dedication is a definate must. If you have that your half way there.

Well done Marie, keep your confidence and dedication and you'll go a long way!
Jules
:biggrin:

What a great thread !!! i am so pleased for you...i have had a similar expereiance this week, i went feeling rubbish, and came away feeling great. Good for you xxx

I did my vtct in January 2004 and came away with no confidence to do nails but plodded on doing the odd friends/family nails but not acrylic as I had no confidence, I stuck with silk/fibreglass which I could cope with.
I did my creative foundation in January 2005 and have practised my acrylic ever since, getting better every time.
I got the chance to rent a table in a hairdressers and was very unsure as I didn't think I was good enough and thought I'd have everyone complaining but knew I had to start somewhere so went for it and although things are slow I have never looked back and so pleased I took the job.
I have only done acrylic since my creative training and I'm looking forward to doing Fabric.
I know it's been said a thousand times but practice, practice, practice.

Hi Ya
Glad to hear big ol' confidence has kicked in.
It may help with your coloured powders to give them a good stir.
As they may settle a bit after you have used them.
I use a clean orangewood stick[halved] to give them a quick mix.
I find it helps to keep a consistent colour throughout the next application
hTh Kind Regards
xxjnail OZxx

Hi to all,
I have been struggling at bit in the confidence area lately, and strongly thinkin maybe i just havn't got what it takes to be a good nail tech.
Last friday i had a 2hr 1-2-1 with Lisa Smith, had a great time,learnt loads, she's such a lovely lady, and really wants to help, and i felt privilaged to spend some time with such a great nail tech. But still i feel that i got so much to learn and will never be able to do that perfect set that i desire.
So i came away really thinkin maybe i should call it a day, ME+NAILS!!
But then yesterday, i went to work, and my boss approached me a said i didnt know you did nails! i had this set done yesterday, and proceeded to show me one of the most awful sets i have ever seen!! They were done in a beauty salon opposite to my house. I had been really worried about them when they opened, and thought i will never stand a chance, me being a mobile tech all on my 'ownsome'.
Just to some it all up, just seeing that set of 'Bad nasty nails' and this thread has made me feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER:biggrin: !!!!!
And i think i'm not just going to chuck it all in, i am gonna keep going!!
Heather x x

Heather we all go through this at some stage and sometimes lots of stages ! I'll be calling you soon im sure for a good old confidence boost that you always manage to give me hun and im here for you too as well as everyone else on this site to help you in your time of need.

The lows are really low and the highs are really high eh ! just need to keep practicing, regular training and hopefully we'll reach a more consistent balance with our nails and feelings.

As for the "perfect nails" i hope im always going to strive for those and when i dont then maybe, and only maybe, then its time to re-think. We are always the harshest critique on ourselves and whilst sometimes i do a set which i feel are really bad (even those ive done on you !!) the client is thrilled - we pick and look too closely sometimes

stay perky hun, and everyone else out there ... your high will come soon I promise you !

see you soon

kx

heatherw55 said:
Hi to all,
I have been struggling at bit in the confidence area lately, and strongly thinkin maybe i just havn't got what it takes to be a good nail tech.
Last friday i had a 2hr 1-2-1 with Lisa Smith, had a great time,learnt loads, she's such a lovely lady, and really wants to help, and i felt privilaged to spend some time with such a great nail tech. But still i feel that i got so much to learn and will never be able to do that perfect set that i desire.
So i came away really thinkin maybe i should call it a day, ME+NAILS!!
But then yesterday, i went to work, and my boss approached me a said i didnt know you did nails! i had this set done yesterday, and proceeded to show me one of the most awful sets i have ever seen!! They were done in a beauty salon opposite to my house. I had been really worried about them when they opened, and thought i will never stand a chance, me being a mobile tech all on my 'ownsome'.
Just to some it all up, just seeing that set of 'Bad nasty nails' and this thread has made me feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER:biggrin: !!!!!
And i think i'm not just going to chuck it all in, i am gonna keep going!!
Heather x x

Well done Marie :hug: :D :biggrin:

What a fantastic thread Marie, I am sure you have put alot of peeps minds to rest because of this thread, especially mine!!!

My confidence has not been it's best these days and a thread like this just really helped!!!!!!

I am sure many of my fellow geeks would agree!!

xxxxxx

Rose143 said:
What a fantastic thread Marie, I am sure you have put alot of peeps minds to rest because of this thread, especially mine!!!

My confidence has not been it's best these days and a thread like this just really helped!!!!!!

I am sure many of my fellow geeks would agree!!

xxxxxx

If I have helped 1 person to keep going that's great. I have been disheartened that many times but I now enjoy doing new clients rather than dreading what's coming through the door.

I had a bit of a low today, I couldn't get my mix ratio right. I' am right in the window and the sun was beating down on me (not complaining about the sun i love it) my l + p was setting faster than normal (even on the nail trainer) and my brush clogging. Also is it me or are you other techs suffering from dry hand syndrome for a nail technician my hands are in an awful state, is it me or does monomer always seep out once you've put the lid on.
I want to do more training but I can't afford it right now. I had a 1-2-1 last year and all i can remember is how to do a stiletto nail and how to fit a form correct product placement and brush control out da window

On the other note I did make a fiver in five minutes doing an airbrushed tattoo.
Maybe i'll become a tattoo technician.

Praise God tommorrow is another day
Chemine

Latest posts

Back