Toughen Up Trouble?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Ok.. this is odd lol.... I took off some enamel yesterday from my natural nails.... I had been wearing CND enamel with a dried pressed flower on each ring finger.... I'd done a coat of TU, two coats of enamel, then the dried flowers, then top coat.

Now the strange thing is that when I took it all off... there was a yellow stain in the shape of the flower on my natural nail!! I was intrigued apart from anything else as I'd not placed the flower directly on my nail...

Now I know that there was some discussion about TU and yellowing... but I've not heard anything since then and I wondered if what has happened could be a reaction with the TU?

I think the thread title is misleading because the trouble is not with toughenUP!!

Remember that ToughenUp is quite porous. It does contain DMU also, to strengthen the natural nail.
Who knows what reaction that would have with a pressed flower that contains pigment and dye?

Yellowing is not a universal problem with ToughenUp, which does not yellow on its own. I, for instance, have never seen ToughenUp go yellow.
I'm sure the The stain will remove easily.

Thats why I put a question mark as I know that other people have experienced yellowing when using TU in a previous post and it was going to be investigated further.... If I've mislead then I'm sorry. I realise that there are always contributing factors but I don't think it should be ruled out that something in TU may have reactions with other things......I'm not overly concerned myself about the yellowing... I'm just curious.... especially after previous discussions on here about the problem.

Mani-fique! said:
Thats why I put a question mark as I know that other people have experienced yellowing when using TU in a previous post and it was going to be investigated further.... If I've mislead then I'm sorry. I realise that there are always contributing factors but I don't think it should be ruled out that something in TU may have reactions with other things......I'm not overly concerned myself about the yellowing... I'm just curious.... especially after previous discussions on here about the problem.
I think you are absolutely right, that of course obviously something is reacting with something in ToughenUP but I don't feel that is the fault of the ToughenUp but that rather the reason lies with using it for a purpose it was not designed for.

ToughenUp is a very good product and sells extremely well. CND have looked into the few instances reported and as I say the problem is not large enough for them to think that it is anything other than something the technicians or clients are doing or using that does not agree with the product.

I always use a base coat (whatever make takes my fancy at the time), colour and top coat. A few months ago had some of those 3D flowers on my nails (on top of the colour and a layer of top coat). When I removed it all..... yellow flower prints on my nails!! I took quite a while to fade away too!

I don't feel that is the fault of the ToughenUp but that rather the reason lies with using it for a purpose it was not designed for.

ToughenUp is a very good product and sells extremely well. CND have looked into the few instances reported and as I say the problem is not large enough for them to think that it is anything other than something the technicians or clients are doing or using that does not agree with the product.
At least I know now that the issue has been settled... I sincerely didn't know hence the reason for asking. If I'd known that TU in itself is not the problem then I would have gone onto to figure out what else it could be. After all its a process of elimation with these things sometimes.

Fair do's if using dried flowers is deemed using TU for a purpose its not designed for it is after all a nail strengthener and not just a base coat . I think its a great product as it does not contain formaldehyde, its just a shame if I can't use dried flowers...... saying that it sounds like its not just TU that may interact unfavourably with the flowers..... could it be a case that all enamel reacts with dried flowers on natural nails? Has anyone else experienced this ? Has anyone found it happens on enhancements?

Mani-fique! said:
Has anyone found it happens on enhancements?
I have had this happen when using the flowers on gel nails. I appled a couple of flowers over a permenant French and when it came to maintenance time found that after I had buffed the flower away there was definite yellow staining to the next layer of gel. It hadn't gone right the way through to the nail but it had definitely gone down into the gel underneath the flower.

Latest posts

Back