Trademark Solicitor Letter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems same guy has a whole EU trademark out on it and is based in London. Has 5 classes across 2 trademarks and held by CLARKE AND HARTLAND SOLICITORS cardiff. hmmmm. Had it since 1999 as well. Bet many people don't know that.

Whoah!
I just checked who's registered it!
O.M.F.G.

Not someone to be messed with AT ALL!

Sorry to jump in. I need to clarify having just done my own search if one word of the business is registered in 'our' category being 44 beauty salon etc we should not be trading with that as part of our business name? Have I understood this correctly?

If so, bugger!!

Whoah!
I just checked who's registered it!
O.M.F.G.

Not someone to be messed with AT ALL!

Indeed Lynne! Makes it all the more upsetting.

Indeed Lynne! Makes it all the more upsetting.

Who "owns" this word? I didnt think it was possible to own a made up word? I have a lot to learn:cry:

I've never heard of a solicitor contacting someone by email with regard to formal legal matters, letters along that line of business would need to be sent recorded delivery/registered post to prove you had received the notification.

It's impossible to prove someone has received an email so it's not a recognised method of communication in the legal world.

I smell scam, or chancer. Keep us updated once you have chance to check it out :hug:

At this stage im going to call the solicitor and find out why they would send out an email. however the solicitor address is exactly the same as the one on the trademark. so im going to call to make sure that they have actually sent the email or not.

Sorry to jump in. I need to clarify having just done my own search if one word of the business is registered in 'our' category being 44 beauty salon etc we should not be trading with that as part of our business name? Have I understood this correctly?

If so, bugger!!

Pretty much

For anyone who is interested this is the trademark owner of Beautique. As well as the director of Beautique UK.

---------------------------------------

George Hammer holds 15 current appointment, has resigned from 12 companies and held appointments at 14 dissolved companies. George began their first appointment at the age of 40 and their longest current appointment spans 20 years and 8 months at HAMMER HOLDINGS LIMITED.

The combined cash at bank value for all of George's current businesses is £544,230, with a combined assets value of £11,126,587 and liabilities of £7,511,213. Roles associated with George Hammer within the recorded businesses include: Director, Llp Member, Llp Designated Member, Company Secretary

-------------------------------------

This is public knowledge just done the research myself. Companies check reveals lots of spa retreat centres, a holdings company, retail company among other things. Definitely a trademark I wouldn't be fighting but I would be checking if that e-mail is legit. It should be a recorded letter.

Also a director of L'OCCITANE LIMITED which im pretty sure you have all heard of!

I had to do a Nuans search and once it came back clear I trademarked and Incorporated my business name. It is serious and I wouldnt want to be associated with other companies

Urban Retreat too...

I too had this email today, but I did want to say on top of the letter it does say it is being posted and emailed, although only by 2nd class. So I suppose they are at least posting it!

I am also in the same boat, only a small one woman business, by myself and can't afford these costs! Plus I would have only searched for the full business name, not just the name beautique.

I can't believe it, when I found out who it was etc.

Looks like I now need to think of a new name and I'm having difficulties!

I've never heard of a solicitor contacting someone by email with regard to formal legal matters, letters along that line of business would need to be sent recorded delivery/registered post to prove you had received the notification.

It's impossible to prove someone has received an email so it's not a recognised method of communication in the legal world.

I smell scam, or chancer. Keep us updated once you have chance to check it out :hug:

Im thinking the same. Call CAB tomorrow and see what they say. They could be trying to scam you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

As the info is in the public domain it IS possible someone else is trying to scam you by e-mailing you saying there is a letter in the post expecting payment in the mean time.

TBH as they are in the same business as us, albeit on a greater scale, they ought to be ashamed of themselves, causing the small businesses so many problems. I feel for all of you who are affected by this.

I know its a cut throat business we are in, but, for goodness sake, we are all no threat to them. They are just plain bullies. When someone searches for a name, they obviously use their brains and search for the whole name. Not just part of it. I personally don't feel that any of you could be mistaken for any part of their huge company.

Its the usual thing, of big fish, little fish. Money talks and they can obviously afford to fight all the way. We don't stand a chance.

I hope you all find a suitable name and that the cost of all the changes won't put you out of business.

I also feel that each and every one of you should write to the company and explain what they are doing is affecting you in a greater way than they could possible comprehend. If they are so insistent in stopping you from using that one word, perhaps they could assist you in changing your name with some form of monetary assistance. After all they can afford it.

I'm not paying him a penny just yet, not until I know this is legit. But how do I find out?

A friend that used to be in Trading Standards is going to speak to someone for me tomorrow, so I'm holding off until then.

Mine doesn't say anything about it being posted out. I will call the solicitor and see how to take it from them. Claire I have messaged you back lovely. Could also keep me updated with what your friend says please honey, thank you.

NailXpress I couldn't agree with you more, however I will reserve judgement until I find out if this company is behind this.

The way I see it, is it's trademarked and no matter what now I can't argue with that. My actual issue is what they want to bill us. I will take my site down, stop trading under the name and so on. I had no idea that beautique was trademarked and it disgusts me that, if this is true, that this is being dealt with so heavy handedly, but as said it could be a scam.

Regardless the name can no longer be used scam or no scam as i understand.

Thanks everyone for commenting on the thread, really appreciate all your help.

I'm certain sure that many of you roll your eyes heavenwards when I bang on about professionalism, but ladies and gentlemen, this is how it is in "business"
I'd put money on them not being in the slightest bit interested in the threat you pose to their trademark; this is about territory, and some of you will have stepped into theirs.

You really DO have to get yourselves organised, and be on the right side of the commercial laws.
Sorry...

Uh oh... There's a hair salon in my town called *** beautique

I wonder how salons out there are in breach of this.

I really do feel for you, I don't understand why they're getting their knickers in a twist when you have two words in front of beautique.
I hope it's not too costly for you to change everything over hon xxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

How you getting on with this any updates so far? :(
What if you were a registered Ltd company???
How and would this affect you?

Don't want to comment too much on the legalities of this (I'm no lawyer!) except to say that if it is trademarked then they're perfectly entitled to, at the least, ask you to cease and desist.

But morally, it's disgusting. But that's business.

I've had a few emails from people who are in this boat (clearly I'm not naming anyone)- but what I would say is that if I've done your logo and you're in this boat, contact me immediately and we'll change/edit/tweak the logo so it complies with what they're asking.

It's in your best interest to remove/change any online reference that you think might be infringing on copyright immediately

I'll discount any work (I'll also be working a few extra hours today as I appreciate that this is kinda urgent for people) done to help out as I think it's appalling that people are getting bullied like this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back