Trialing gel polishes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samac

Reaction score
Hi

Through reading lots of posts on what's the best gel polish it sounds like a lot of people trial different brands. Do you just use your original lamp when doing this? How do you know what curing times etc.

I have bought a couple of different brands to test but I am worried about trailing them on anyone and not using the correct lamp for the brand. I can't afford to buy lamps for every brand I try.

When I am happy with a product I do intend to buy the lamp that goes with it.

Any advice xx

I trial a lot of things, as I enjoy it, I never use these products on my clients though.

I use my normal LED lamp, read up the curing times for the product, contact the supplier/company asking for advice curing the product in my lamp as I want to trial their product. I try it on pops firstly, and check the state of the curing. If this turns out "ok" (be aware a gel polish can be hard, but still undercured), I then may apply it to my own nails if I'm confident in the product.

Thanks for your reply :)
My cousin can't keep Shellac on her nails so was going to trial on her and a friend before buying into any brands. X

Thanks for your reply :)
My cousin can't keep Shellac on her nails so was going to trial on her and a friend before buying into any brands. X

I do similar to Anna

That said, I only use 3 brands, two are pro only (CND Shellac & Gel2) the other is Madam Glam which is no pro only but I did as much research as possible before using on my clients. I use a CND LED lamp.

Thanks trinity. I have some gel 2 that I tried with CND led lamp but I felt a lot of heat when under lamp so was a bit worried using it with anyone else. Can I ask how you find the removal for gel 2? X

Thanks trinity. I have some gel 2 that I tried with CND led lamp but I felt a lot of heat when under lamp so was a bit worried using it with anyone else. Can I ask how you find the removal for gel 2? X

Did you try it in the Summer? Loads of newbies were suffering exothermic reaction (heat spike) - it was because it was so hot this summer. You will also get heat spike if you apply it too thick, another common newbie issue. Put the two together and I can understand your concern. I've been using the CND LED lamp for about a year with Gel2 with no issues.

Removal is easy, buff topcoat, wrap, heat source for 10 minutes and scrub with acetone soaked plastic backed pad.

It was only recently so I must have applied too thick. Do you just use the same buttons for Shellac colour and top coat for gel 2? Thanks for your advice :)

Latest posts

Back