Try-Me Kits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainbowstar

Reaction score
Well, I am still to make a final decision about which training provider to go to for my Nail Tech Training - I'm sure it'll come as no great surprise but it's between Creative and EZflow.

I've read all the lit, am in the process of asking all my further questions to both companies, and have read quite a few CND versus EZflow threads on the site.

My question is this - I have seen "try-me kits" mentioned several times - however, as a complete novice about to embark on an entirely new career, is it worth me getting them, or are they for techs with some experience to actually try out products/techniques? This obviously wouldn't do me any good at the moment as don't have the faintest clue where to start until I've trained, right?

Also, are they expensive...?

Thanks again geeks...

Try me kits aren't usually too dear. They sometimes do special offers so give DN a ring. I've never used EZFlow so I can't give you any advice on them but if I were you, get a Rention + starter kit from Creative. xxx

Hiya,
think youve narrowed your choice to two very good companies...good luck with your decision!
With regard to the try-me kits, if you really have no experience whatsoever of applying nails then I would leave well alone.
You would prob find that the products work differently to each other but wouldnt understand why you were getting one result with one product and a diff result with the other.
You'll soon have plenty to be getting to grips with when you start your chosen course.
Hth.

I was just thinking. Surely the Try Me kits are for people who want to try before they buy. I'm talking about trained techs here obviously.

Let's face it, you can't expect somebody to pay to do a conversion course and then realise that they don't get on with the products.

So, Samantha, Geeg, Sam..............anyone. If a nail tech sends you a copy of their certs, can they buy a Try Me kit? I hope so. xxx

Yup Kimmi...Thats exactly what try-me kits are intended for ;)

Thanks you guys, as advised I think I'll just forget the kits just now and plunge right in to my training...if I ever make a decision...!

Hi Nikki,

I too think that purchasing a try-me-kit would not be beneficial to you at the moment as you really need to embark on a foundation course.
My suggestion would be to telephone teh companies that you are interested in training with and talk to them and ask their advice and for a brochure - even go and see the training schools that you would go to and talk to the person their. I am sure that they will be only too happy to help you. Then I think you will be able to make a decision based on your own experiences.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Jo xx :hug:

You've narrowed it down to 2 companies, but from just how many?

I can name at least 8. Have you really approached them all?
If so what was it that made you choose these 2

The Nail Geek website?
Cost?
Customer service?

Just curious really.

frenchy said:

The Nail Geek website?
Cost?
Customer service?

Just curious really.

Hiya Frenchy,

I started off trying to search the net for UK training providers in nails, and did a bit of research on the BABTAC forum (the only forum I knew of at the time). The Companies I came up with (not including ezflow or creative) were;

NSI
Essential Nails
OPI
Top Talons
Backscratchers
Olivia Rogers
Pro Nails
Star Nails
Naughty Nails

Had a good look at the websites and requested literature from all of them, and received it from most of them! Must admit, cost/location was a big factor for me, but then by some stroke of luck I discovered The Nail Geek website and was able to find out a lot more about training providers, and what techs thought of them. Creative & EZflow seem to be very popular and well-reknowned, and I can train with both in Scotland (some courses from above providers would have involved travelling to Manchester, newcastle etc).

Can't honestly say cost is an issue any longer as I think the 2 on my short list are at the more expensive end of the scale, but I am happy to save for a little longer to train with a company with a great rep.

As for Customer Service - I certainly haven't received any bad Customer Service from anyone (apart from the brochures I never received), but representatives of both Creative and EZflow have been very helpful on this site and on the phone so far!

Don't know how to choose really - the one thing that may sway it in Creative's favour is a post I read earlier today - it said salon's prefer techs to be Creative trained - not even sure if I will go down the salon route yet (currently thinking mobile), but it would be nice to have the option - I will of course contact some local salons to find out if this is their policy before a final decision is made...

Sorry for the ramble!

Good for you Nikki ... you have done your homework :) so much for me rambling earlier ... seems you did it all already :)
Good luck on whoever you decide hun and look forward to seeing you posting on here

Jo xxx

I've seen the retention+, radical and moxie creative try me kits for about $7 here... the retention+ comes with scrub fresh, and all 3 come with 1/8 oz pink and white powders, and 1/2 fl oz of monomer

the starter kits for ez flow (for l&p) are about $40, haven't seen any try me kits for them. but the starter kit has: Instructional DVD, 2oz Q monomer, 1/2oz pink powder, 1/2oz truly white, 1/2oz natural, 1/2oz clear, 5gm brush on resin, 4pks assorted nail tips, 1/2oz primer, 1oz polish remover.

but i would wait and see what line your school will want you to use (and if they have a preference). at my school we all had to use the same brand... but once you're out of school, it's up to what you're comfy with using.

Try- Me kits are small and contain iddy biddy Ret+ or Radical liquids plus 1/8th powders, baby scrubfresh and a laminated how-to! I would happily send anyone a try me PROVIDING they are already a tained tek. Try-me's are around the £7.00 + vat I think... that kit also contains l+p for at least 2/3 full sets! Money made back very quickly!!

These kits are not for beginners - that is what the Folio and Academy Advisers are for! HTH's! ;)

frenchy said:

The Nail Geek website?
Cost?
Customer service?

Just curious really.

Hiya Frenchy...Just curious as to which products you use...?

Well obviously not Creative lmao

Latest posts

Back