Unfair dismissal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam-x

Reaction score
Could someone advise me what the first step is to take or if anyone else has been in a similar situation?

Been working in a salon for several months, honestly have not been enjoying it at all and neither do the other staff. Clients are lovely and my other colleagues keep us all going, full of support & have created a great friendship.

I have felt like I have been personally picked on since day 1 by the salon owner, they do not do any treatments nor hold any qualifications themselves. I don't believe they carry out things very professionally or even In A safe practical matter. If I question why they prefer something a certain way I'm the problem when I'm just trying to understand why and not just because they said so, I have the experience I am the employee!

I have given countless ideas to help the salon grow and become better for the staff and clients who come in, majority are all judged negatively or disagreed too without even consideration.

If something has went wrong in the salon I wouldn't be automatically blamed even if I wasn't in the day it happened, I have been at blame for other staff faults when I was the one who had tried to help them, explain & partly train them in salon ways.. if they are qualified already why is this my fault if they do not carry out basic skills of training?

There has been a great turnover of staff over the years, speaking to current staff that are very honest but also very welcoming and supportive through everything as salon owner behaviour has been the same for many years. However it has progressed and has got worse with the lack of communication, extremely poor management and the fact they are open to discuss to reps & other people that they do not care about the place.

As I carry myself as a very professional worker, I believe you should follow everything by the book for legal, issuance reasons and of course the welfare of staff & customers! Becos of this I believe the salon owner sees that I'm challenging them, questioning why they do not have basic salon needs; correct updated client records for facial/body treatments, salon safety (loose cables & leads, which I have tripped over many of times) the list could go on and on!

Recently I was unfairly cut set hours in less than 24hours notice due to quiet spell in salon, I therefore tried to make up those cut hours the following week and upset the salon owner. From this they wanted to leave but wanted me to leave at my own terms not that they were firing me for me making up my hours that had been unfairly taken away.

I did not resign. But been sent A TEXT MESSAGE saying they believe I'm not suitable for the salon & letting me go.

I have not replied, but now wondering what step to take first of all.

Sorry it's lengthy but best to describe situation

Thanks x

Are you in a union? You could ask their advice, also you could ask the advice of a guild you're in for example the guild of beauty therapists or whichever one you're in. If you've only been there a few months check to see if you were still in your trail period because if you were you probably can't do much about it unfortunately. You should also ask your employer to put it into writing properly, not just in a text message because if you find yourself unemployed now, you'll want to start to claim benefits. Hope you manage to sort things out soon! Good luck sorry I can't be more help x

Contact ACAS for advice but unless you were dismissed illegally (pregnant/disability etc.), as you've only been working there a few months, you won't be able to claim unfair dismissal.

However, sounds like a dreadful place to work and you're better off away from there before you lose your confidence. Business owners who don't really understand the service industry and also treat staff badly generally fail. Having a high turnover of staff is often an accurate indicator of poor salon management.

There are good salon owners out there, you just have to stay positive and keep trying.

Employment rights are sadly limited until you've been at a job for two years. Used to be one year but the Conservative government keep changing the goal posts.

It's infuriating that there are limits to what you can do due to the above but it definitely sounds like you are best off out of it. If you need to find employment elsewhere asap there are always spas hiring, particularly at this busy time of year.

I can sympathise with your situation and the frustration you feel. I have been in a similar situation (although this was before I was in the beauty industry). I worked in the NHS before career change, and was portrayed as a difficult employee whenever I questioned things or made suggestions. I decided to leave after 3 years due to my supervisor, which at the time was so upsetting as I felt that it was very unfair and that I didn't really have a choice. Now when I look back, I'm really glad that I left as I have moved on to better things and in a much happier place.

If your employer isn't willing to listen, can't accept suggestions, treats you badly and won't work within guidelines, then you're better off elsewhere. There are plenty of salons and spas who will love your high standards! I know it isn't fair but it sounds like they will never change their ways no matter how hard you try. They don't deserve you.

I would leave with your head held high. Be polite, calm and keep your dignity. Good luck x

I can sympathise with your situation and the frustration you feel. I have been in a similar situation (although this was before I was in the beauty industry). I worked in the NHS before career change, and was portrayed as a difficult employee whenever I questioned things or made suggestions. I decided to leave after 3 years due to my supervisor, which at the time was so upsetting as I felt that it was very unfair and that I didn't really have a choice. Now when I look back, I'm really glad that I left as I have moved on to better things and in a much happier place.

If your employer isn't willing to listen, can't accept suggestions, treats you badly and won't work within guidelines, then you're better off elsewhere. There are plenty of salons and spas who will love your high standards! I know it isn't fair but it sounds like they will never change their ways no matter how hard you try. They don't deserve you.

I would leave with your head held high. Be polite, calm and keep your dignity. Good luck x

Love this. Crap employers just aren't worth the energy when you're better than them.

Simililar thing happened to me just before Christmas I was signed off sick with severe anxiety and depression for foreseeable future as my doctor did lot want to push me to go back to work. So I informed my employer she then told me I couldn't do this to her so rather than face confortation due to my state of mind I posted in my doctors line and informed her the likely hood would be back just after xmas. Three days later I got a letter thanking me for my resignation and my p45. I didn't resign anyway I just didn't have energy to fight. However as I believe in doing good n karma then it would seem now a lot of the clients have left because they have experienced a treatment with her and can see she is only money oriented so now the salon is going down hill and I've had ex clients track me down looking for me to do treatments for them so karma has came back to haunt her xoxo I hope your friend gets her wages as I eventually got mines and contacted government and she had been hammering with tax using wrong tax code so got it all back. Every cloud has a silver lining x

Latest posts

Back