Update on Sydney Comps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzoo

Reaction score
DAY 1:
All going well so far, so many different nail products (many of them quite expensive I thought).

I'm not really shopping yet, although I have been browsing between judging comps. Only bought a cuticle clipper set (razor sharp, which I buy every year), a diamonte brush lid and a little dappen dish with lid.

I judged all 3 sections today (Speed, Flat Nail Art & French Twist) and I was once again very surprised at the standard of nails in the Speed section (45 mins).

DAY 2:
I was knackered and still am, one of the judges had a family issue, so I ended up judging every section, both days, didn't go to dinner, though caught up with Mindy today
icon_smile.gif

I really didn't have the time to do or see much as I was either behind the screen or on the floor.

Today I judged:
Sculptures (behind the screen)
Tip & Ovelay (on the floor)
Tech Combo (screen)
3D Nail Art (floor)

The 3D section was pretty amazing, as was the Combination (one hand tips and one hand sculptures that had to match).

At 5pm today, I had my little veins in my face in my face electrocuted (not Diathermy) some other thing done with a probe, the lovely lady worked on me for 45 mins and I am astounded with the results .... that made up for the toil of the weekend (a $400 service done for free).. I was supposed to have it done between sections and had my face pre-numbed, but ended up having to wipe it off on the floor at 2pm and start all over again. OUCHY WA WA!!!!

It's always such fun dealing with the little issues that arise over the weekend, all in all, the judging went very well.

Great to chat with many competitors ( I try and make myself available to offer advice between competitions, so they can improve next time).

Judging is not as easy as many may seem (just 1 point can make the difference between trophies and sometimes nothing), I like to explain where a competitor may have lost a few points .... a lid left off a jar can make the difference.

Meeting all the people that are still around after so many years, so many smiling faces, not matter how brief the encounters, it's always fun to catch up. I even met a few people from here (the AUS forum site) ... some of them quite funny lurkers that had some bloody funny comments to make.

There are quite a few people that check out the posts in here (the AUS forum site), but don't necessarily comment ....... (well they did today) and we had a great chuckle.

Today I bought a Metal Diamond File (thats supposed to last for years), that will be interesting to see (and use), and a brilliant Anion Aroma Diffuser (which I have wanted since last year, it's doing it's thing right now and filling my house with the scent of Bay Oil. Also 500mls of pure Jojoba Oil (I love the stuff).

Thats my rundown for now...... BUT.... I still have some cool pictures to upload, but they will have to wait, as it takes time to resize and adjust them....... so stand by
icon_smile.gif

AND HERE THEY ARE:

Well I guess this is what you may have been waiting for ..........

Some pics of the nails, I didn't get any of the sculpts/tips, as it aint very kosher to take pics behind the screen, but these are from flat nail art and 3D.

I'd be happy to answer any questions as to scoring....(why one would score higher than another)
http://www.nailzoo.com/comps2008/comp2008.html

they are huge images in all their glory (closeup) , just click on the picture.

GREAT update ... all very interesting and the photos of the work are wonderful. Thanks for all the hard work and time put in.

I love judging competitions but I am very aware of the awesome responsibility of it and how just one or two points can make all the difference to someone's result so I'm very careful to be able to justify my decisions!

Last edited:
wow some of that nail art is amazing !!! it must be very hard to judge :eek: xx

Wow........what fantastic work :)

Can I ask a really silly question, Do the techs doing the fantasy nails are allowed to do all their 3d work beforehand? Or do they have to do it on the day?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great weekend Carl.:lol:

Pictures are great, some of that 3d stuff took my breath away - particularly the one on the outline of Australia - just love those kangaroos.

I can only the imagine what it feels like to be responsible for a hairs breadth difference in marking - well done you:)

Thanks Carl for giving us such a fab insight to the comps and shows in Aus. The pics are excellent and the work is to be admired.

I was asked to step in and judge a couple of comps at a show because one of the judges was called away. I hated it. I felt quite out of my depth and was daunted by the responsibility attached to it. It made me realise how hard the judges work if they are to do a thorough job. I really appreciate the work put into the score sheets and particularly any additional comments that judges take time to make. The feedback from comps is so helpful.

Keep the piccies coming x:)

Wow........what fantastic work :)

Can I ask a really silly question, Do the techs doing the fantasy nails are allowed to do all their 3d work beforehand? Or do they have to do it on the day?
Thats the difficult part.... they all seem to be doing quite complex work, then all of a sudden (usually when you back is turned) they open their lunch boxes and all manner of stuff comes out :)
This year we had a section that consisted of "work completed on the floor" and work completed beforehand. I understand the time restrictions, but I also want o see "talent".

I like to call it "it's not what you glue, it's what you do".

I had the pleasure to judge with Catherine Wong (from nfu you), whatever it's called, she's a fab woman (and we, as judges, want to see more done on the day), not what you have in your lunchbox.

Although I was blown away to see a girl create (from scratch) a complete 3D face of "the wicked witch", she almost did it to "shove it in our faces" ... which she did, and the workmanship was noted and duly awarded. I do tire of lunchbox nailart, in my old days we used to do almost everything on the floor. As the years have progressed, they have learned to flaunt the rules.

WE almost had a sculpture winner using one color powder...... they did everything right, except using pink and white.

And the girl that used pink & white, let themselves down in other criteria.

Someone could have won because they had great sidewalls, great surface, good polish and a great c curve.

There are always dilemmas behind the screen and there's always someone deliberately "playing the rules".

Those pictures are great and thank you for the insight into how hard it is for judges. xxx

Thats the difficult part.... they all seem to be doing quite complex work, then all of a sudden (usually when you back is turned) they open their lunch boxes and all manner of stuff comes out :)
This year we had a section that consisted of "work completed on the floor" and work completed beforehand. I understand the time restrictions, but I also want o see "talent".

I like to call it "it's not what you glue, it's what you do".

I had the pleasure to judge with Catherine Wong (from nfu you), whatever it's called, she's a fab woman (and we, as judges, want to see more done on the day), not what you have in your lunchbox.

Although I was blown away to see a girl create (from scratch) a complete 3D face of "the wicked witch", she almost did it to "shove it in our faces" ... which she did, and the workmanship was noted and duly awarded. I do tire of lunchbox nailart, in my old days we used to do almost everything on the floor. As the years have progressed, they have learned to flaunt the rules.

WE almost had a sculpture winner using one color powder...... they did everything right, except using pink and white.

And the girl that used pink & white, let themselves down in other criteria.

Someone could have won because they had great sidewalls, great surface, good polish and a great c curve.

There are always dilemmas behind the screen and there's always someone deliberately "playing the rules".

I see, wow I am even more impressed with those doing from it scratch then, if I was to attempt anything like that it would take me about month! How long are they allowed?

It must be so difficult to judge.

have you seen any different products or style trends that we dont have here in the u.k ?

Hey Nailzoo,,,

I was one of those Aussies hanging with Mindy all day Sunday... learking around the judging watching Desi make the oriental garden... very clever.. the waterfall etc was just fab....
Nice to have meet you... sort of.. you were very busy..lol
Catherine wong was just amazing too...
as were the girls from the ezflow stand i thought.
Maybe i will enter next year after a hard year of education and practise...
Mel

Latest posts

Back