UV topcoats - what's the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadAboutNails

Reaction score
Why are some UV topcoats only suitable for using over artificial nails and not for natural nails? What is the difference? Anyone know....?

both can be used over either nails. I think the difference is the UV topcoat obviously needs the UV lamp to cure and the normal enamel top coat is air dried. It differs when yuo use them over enamels...i think

Or something along those lines :confused: :lol:

UV Top coats tend to be of a thicker viscosity and will not flex as much with the natural nail...... you will end up with hairlines cracks or even shattering......

There are some UV top coats that can be applied to the natural nail and these are much thinner in viscosity and have more flex in them.....

You have to ask your supplier for which is suitable for which type of nail natural or enhanced......
HTH

There are UV cured top coats, generally used over enamel and (so named) 'UV' top coats which can prevent ultra violet damage to enhancements which can cause yellowing, product breakdown etc.

Is there a particular product you are thinking about?

Cathie! said:
There are UV cured top coats, generally used over enamel and (so named) 'UV' top coats which can prevent ultra violet damage to enhancements which can cause yellowing, product breakdown etc.

Is there a particular product you are thinking about?
Just a thought Cathie,
These types of UV top coats are usualy UV inhibitors/blockers rather than UV cured .....

Yes...that's the word I was looking for 'inhibitors'...thanks! I always miss something out...doh!

OMG where have I been in the last few weeks, obviously not checking out the new 411 range.....
Sorry there is a UV top coat that can be applied over the natural nail and enamel.....
I am so sorry, how could I have missed this fab new product line ?????
Deffo worth an order me thinks xxxx
411 Pro Finish – a new service worth charging a little more for
  • Heat Dry – a Heat activated top coat which rapidly dries all layers of nail enamel when used with 60 watt table lamps.
  • U.V. Dry – a U.V.Top coat which rapidly dries all layers of enamel when used with the U.V.Dial or Digital lamps.
  • U.V. Lamp – a professional U.V. Lamp which accelerates the drying of U.V. Dry top coat.
  • Thinner – Top coat thinner. Specially blended thinner for U.V. Dry and Heat top coats. Reduces the thickness and prolongs the life of U.V. Dry and Heat Dry top coats.
Again my applologies........ right where is my Voddy ????

Thanks all!

It was the UV topcoat you use under a UV lamp for that nice shiney more durable finished look for natural nails that have had polish applied. I have the UV topcoat to prevent yellowing etc..I use the INM one, love it to bits!

I saw the new 411 range advertised and thought brill!....but you can't use it with your Brisa lamp you have to buy a different lamp...and spend more money and cart even more stuff around!!......arghhhh!

I would really like to find one that I can use with my existing lamp. Am I right in thinking too that if I use this kind UV topcoat it will need to be buffed off like gel?

I use the UV topcoat from Cesers Secrets, it is great over polish and never cracks or chips. It was about £5 and cures with my brisa lamp.

MadAboutNails said:
Thanks all!

It was the UV topcoat you use under a UV lamp for that nice shiney more durable finished look for natural nails that have had polish applied. I have the UV topcoat to prevent yellowing etc..I use the INM one, love it to bits!

I saw the new 411 range advertised and thought brill!....but you can't use it with your Brisa lamp you have to buy a different lamp...and spend more money and cart even more stuff around!!......arghhhh!

I would really like to find one that I can use with my existing lamp. Am I right in thinking too that if I use this kind UV topcoat it will need to be buffed off like gel?

MadAboutNails said:
Thanks all!

I use the Professionails products so can only speak for their UV Top Coat. I use it over all my nail enamel be it fingers or toes. I definitely think it makes the mani or pedi last longer, lovely shine and no chipping, cracking over the surface. I think it can be cured with any reputable UV lamp (4 mins) and it is removed just like a polish .... with non acetone polish remover! I love it and so do my clients. I hardly ever use any other top coat now.

Thanks girls! I will give these a try! XX

Latest posts

Back