vapours and dust, a mask or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illijanna

Reaction score
What do you all do with vapours? As I have only dealt with gels really I haven't experienced the vapours until today! A rep came round to demonstrate their acrylics(which I might add I am impressed) and when she had left the smell in my house was horrendous.Since then I have been looking at Fume/vapour and dust extractors. Most aren't cheap! however I was wondering whether any one wears masks and what clients thought about you wearing them or did you get them to wear them too?would really like to get some feedback as my initial thoughts about wearing a mask are that it might be mistaken by the client that they are dirty,I know this is not the case.

I used to wear a mast when I started out, particularly since there was so much dust. My husband also installed an extraction ventilation system which is excellent. I used to stink the house out with my poor application and I used to file down door steps until they resembled a nail. All in all, very hard work.

The best way to avoid the vapours is by perfecting your mix ratio and your application technique. In doing this, you don't have the need to wipe your brush on paper roll and also you don't have to file as much since you sculpt with your brush and not with your file.

I would suggest a 1-2-1 with you educator to address this. It will make all the difference.:smack:

illijanna said:
What do you all do with vapours? As I have only dealt with gels really I haven't experienced the vapours until today! A rep came round to demonstrate their acrylics(which I might add I am impressed) and when she had left the smell in my house was horrendous.Since then I have been looking at Fume/vapour and dust extractors. Most aren't cheap! however I was wondering whether any one wears masks and what clients thought about you wearing them or did you get them to wear them too?would really like to get some feedback as my initial thoughts about wearing a mask are that it might be mistaken by the client that they are dirty,I know this is not the case.

I have never come across anyone that feels that wearing a mask somehow means that your practices were unsanitary. In the beginning of my beauty carear I found that when I didn't wear a mask or gloves they asked me if I would and why I didn't. So go ahead.

Also remember that your client will only spend a couple of hours in your company but you will be in the same fume filled enviroment for hour after hour so wearing a mask and keeping your room properly ventilated will help. Why not try an odourless acrylic. Star Nails VF21 is odourless but sets under a lamp.

Right, just to clarify.

There are no fumes produced in a salon, fumes are a reaction by product, like smoke.

Vapours are constant in our industry, and yes gel does give off vapour, just less and not with a noticable odour!

The vapour (odour) of L&P can be quite strong, some much worse than others, but it is still overall a harmless smell!
See post: http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/22439-bubbles-acrylic.html?highlight=exposure

The best "at home" form of extraction is a shower type fan that sucks the air straight outside!

Charcoal, ozone and fume filters are expensive and overall not cost effective for an at home salon.

Latest posts

Back