Very depressed...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenailista

Reaction score
I just can't seem to get the hang of applying L&P overlays. It all went pretty well when I was using a nail trainer, but on models the product became really thick towards the cuticle and had to be filed off. The set I did today looked realy bad and I so wanted to take the whole lot off with acetone. I've only done L&P since September and today's set was my second on a person, but I could really do with some advice, before I chuck my kit out of the window....:sad:

I'm still learning L&P myself so cant really give any good advise, except dont give up!!! keep trying i'm sure it will come together in the end.
My trainer did recommend keeping the nail tip pointed down when applying zone 3 and make sure you keep the bead small

Hi...it is still early days so don't despair....have you read the tutorials on here?......the Brush control in zone 3 tutorial is what you need to look over...

Thank you both. I did a set on a friend on Saturday, and I found out yesterday that nine of the tips are no longer on the fingers, so that didn't do much for my confidence.(She's going to stick to natural nails from now on.:sad: )
But hey, it's a learning curve-there's hope for me yet!:D

thenailista said:
Thank you both. I did a set on a friend on Saturday, and I found out yesterday that nine of the tips are no longer on the fingers, so that didn't do much for my confidence.(She's going to stick to natural nails from now on.:sad: )
But hey, it's a learning curve-there's hope for me yet!:D

You keep ya pecker up..... it is very disheartening when that happens... and yeah it has happened to us all. I have been in tears many a time when I did a lovely set and then got a call to say theyre all off!!
I checked my prep with the tutor and loads of tutorials, I changed my products, I have also gone on a conversion to ezflow.
All of the above have helped and I'm pleased to say, that unless they get bashed off, they stay.....
It's also very hard to learn the bead size, you get it too thick, too thin blah, and one thing I was shown, was to draw small medium and large size circles on paper and practice with the acrylic to pat into place.
Don't stress, just takes tons of practice.... and yeah a trainer is a doddle, a real hand/nail is summat else!!!!! thats for sure.
GOOD LUCK!!!!! You will be fine x

a trainer is a doddle, a real hand/nail is summat else!!!!! thats for sure.
It would be fab if all the clients had trainer hands.:p

funny you should say that - I didnt get on with my nail trainer at all.... much prefer the real thing, used to get nails pinging off all over the room!

I am still having probs after 3 years so dont give up! I used to dread L&P but now its my favourite. Read the tutorials and it will start to make sense... x

When you go from a nail trainer to natural nails the thing that really gets to you is the product cures alot quicker due to the body temp. Plus a mental block sometimes happens when you place your bead at the cuticle area and you can sometimes leave it too long before you move it into place.

Try using a smaller bead then you use to, and like Diane said keep the nail pointed down slightly. Oh and have a good lamp, it is a sod when your light isn't too good as the shadow's don't help!

Take care and practice lots xx

Oh love it is early days yet I also feel like you do and it is not nice, but all we can do is try try and try again one day I hope we will both be brill in what we do :D

Take care
Caz xxx

My problem is, I'm a perfectionist. I've read all the stories on about people saying they trained with this company or that company, and then they don't take the time to do their prep properly. I want to be the best I can be in everything that I do- right now!!:D
It's easy to stick on a set of nails. The hard bit is sticking them on WELL.

thenailista said:
My problem is, I'm a perfectionist. I've read all the stories on about people saying they trained with this company or that company, and then they don't take the time to do their prep properly. I want to be the best I can be in everything that I do- right now!!:D
It's easy to stick on a set of nails. The hard bit is sticking them on WELL.

Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist - other than it can get really frustrating when things don't just click. To be the best usually takes a heck of a lot of dedication, training, sacrifice ... and most importantly time.
If you keep trying, you'll get there.:)

Colin

To be the best usually takes a heck of a lot of dedication, training, sacrifice ... and most importantly time.
That's true, but you forgot two other very important factors- chocolate and Lambrini! :p

I know exactly how you feel, I too started training with l & p in September, having done gel and fibre glass it is so much harder to master. I am finding what is helping me, is reading all the tutorials on here. I have printed them off and keep going over them.

Also, whenever a friend pops round I ask for a finger, give them a drink and just do a couple of their nails. If they look awful I try and assess what has gone wrong and try to improve next time. I guess its just keep practising and learning, but it helps to realise you are not on your own. I have a friend who has l & p and am going into her salon to watch. I have also purchased a video off ebay by Leighton Denny, this is great and has helped me no end. Good luck, keep smiling and persevering, it will all be worth it. xx:p

Hi Hun, dont give up! You have only been doing it since september and 2 sets isnt that much. I was like this when i first started but if you keep going and practising as much as you can you will notice a difference. Just give yourself time. I have been doing this since april and i am still struggling at times. Its practice and confidence! Try using smaller beads around the cuticle, you dont need to much product in this area. As isabel says read the tutorials on this site or but geegs book which you can get from geekmart. Its full of tutorials and has helped me so much. Dont give up!xxx

I've printed the brush tutorials and will beg my friend to let me try again with a couple of single nails-better to get two nails right than ten nails wrong. Has anyone else done sets on friends that had gone wrong, and had the mates politely decline any further sets?

Dont be disheartened. You wont get a perfect set of l&p until after many sets. Practise makes perfect. Just try hard to relax whilst you are doing the application and things will fall into place. You'll get there, dont give up.xx

If your friends dont let you advertise for models at say 10 pound a set. That way they know they wont be perfect and you wont lose your confidence. The money will cover your product costs. I know lots of people who was happily to pay college students 10 pounds and they knew they werent going to get the best set. The more you do it the more it will come to you, its not something you can learn over night. Stop worrying and enjoy it.x

P.S Who did you do your training with, and what products do you use.

We're getting clients a fortnight today. I was actually going to do training sets at a fiver a time. Am I undervaluing myself?
Sorry, didn't read that last bit.
I'm at college right now, and we use The Edge. My first set(on my friend) was with The Edge tips and NSI Classic (a sample I bought @ GMEX).

If you fee comfortable with 5 pounds then do it, but i would go with 10, thats what i charged when i first started. You dont want people taking advantage of you. I dont think people will mind paying 10 pounds considering it costs twice as much as in other salons. Keep your head high and dont put yourself down, if you believe you can do it then you will.xx

I did my best friend Helen, a full set of l & p sculpts, they were that thick and looked so clubbed, I wanted to cry. I had to laugh the next day, and we still giggle now, she must have weighed a couple of pounds heavier after I had finished. I was ready to pack in l & p there and then, but am determined to get it right. I have found it harder to practise on my nail trainer. Im sure we all have lots of stories, but hopefully one day will be proud of our work..xx

Latest posts

Back