Wages....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moobar

Reaction score
Just wondering what other ppls take is on this.

If you have finished lvl 3 Hair but had no 'real' salon experience what do you think you should be paid? do you think NMW is enough, if not why?

If you have had a years experience what do u think you should be paid?

:)

I'd be happy with nmw and think wage should be based on experience. Plus where I live (north lincs) most jobs are nmw anyway xx

I agree with the NMW esp when someone has no or little experience. They may have the qual but that doesn't mean they can do the job!!

Would to hear everyone's view on this....

I don't think nmw is ok for someone newly qualified. This is because they have spent the time (and obv a lot of it) and probably a lot of money to learn the trade. I don't think they should be on par with someone who works in mcdonalds for example that hasn't done any training apart from their first day at work. I would probably say £6.50+

For someone with a years experience I would say £8+

But then I live in a London borough so that could be why. I got about £6.50 when I worked at a supermarket so for me to work at nmw for something ive trained in that would be taking the p a little x

I don't think nmw is ok for someone newly qualified. This is because they have spent the time (and obv a lot of it) and probably a lot of money to learn the trade. I don't think they should be on par with someone who works in mcdonalds for example that hasn't done any training apart from their first day at work. I would probably say £6.50+

For someone with a years experience I would say £8+

But then I live in a London borough so that could be why. I got about £6.50 when I worked at a supermarket so for me to work at nmw for something ive trained in that would be taking the p a little x

U get paid almost £7 per hour to work for debenhams and m&s so i def agree that should be paid more.

Despite having no prac experience they have spent a while at college learning....whilst i get that they shouldnt be in it for money, should be in it because its what they are passionate about....at the same time everyone (or atleast 95% of us) are out working to live.....not living to work. Yes dont pay over the odds as they still have alot to learn but i feel if they can get the same money working in b&q down the road, you will make them feel massively undervalued.

Pls also take in to account employment laws - you cant pay someone less depending on age etcetc... Worth researching to ensure you are abiding!

I am also newly qualified and started working in a salon recently. I am on 6pounds/h so slightly above the NMW. However, I feel we should be getting paid more. At least 7pounds/hour.
Our work is definately underestimated, it's sad but it's the reality.

I agree with the fact that they have spent years training to be a hairdresser but every person differs in capability after this time.
Some are quite capable I guess of taking on their own clients and building a col week after week, but then I would guess that these are the ones that have had the salon experience along side their training. Others are not as 'floor' confident and may have only experienced the salon at their college/learning provider and had a few work placements so why would they qual for anything over NMW? I guess each learner needs to be judged on their own experience and the mix that they can bring to the salon.

I asked the Q as I know a girl that did a trial last week for a salon and she is lvl 3 but very little salon experience (she has stepped in to apply colour, blow dry, and wash heads when stylist is busy) now at this trial she asked about wages and was told NMW and she wasn't happy and her reply was that she gets more than that in sainsbury's. I told her it will prob be just till they can see what she can do, how good she is etc etc but she was still a little put out at the NMW. Personally I think she should be pleased with the offer of a part time job (moving to full time eventually).

to me being told minimum wage and "probably" going up once they can see what she can do, id be miffed too. if you are offering minimum wage you need to sit down and create a pay scale, offering incentive for someone to stay. for example minimum wage during probationary period (as this is a period of assessment) after that you can sit down with her and give feedback on her progress and give your assessment result. if you feel she is doing well give a raise. after this perios offer target based incentive for example if after a year she has hit xX target another raise will be given.
are your staff just paid there hourly rate or is there commission on top of this?

I think with any qualification, the day you qualify does not mean you could have encountered all situations, and this applies from an architect to a hairdresser-but I don't see people trying to pay an architect NMW-lol, imagine.

I think NMW is a bit mean if I'm honest, but then I guess I would accept there or there abouts to get my foot in the door, and prove my quals are not just on paper. You could then have it agreed with your boss the various benchmarks you need to hit so that wages could go up as fast or as slow as you want it to go-depending on how much you put into it.

X

I dont work in a salon anymore so really done know how much the wages are these days for newly qualified, but what i would say is it should be above the minimum wage most definately, like several others have said you have trained for several years and are still on the same as sales assistant in clothes shop (not belittling it i have done that myself once upon a time) it is imho not on! My daughter works 2 shifts a week in MCdonalds (alongside doing her A levels) and she is paid MORE than the minimum wage!!!! hardly seems right that someone who has studied for several years to get a trade is on less money!

Latest posts

Back