Walk before you run?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still working at getting the good Forever french so dont really venture much into art.
I experiment on myself sometimes when I'm bored but mostly I wear Forever french on myself for the practice and for my clients I only really offer Natural, Forever french or glitter for the exact reason that i dont want to run before I walk.

If the nails under the art are rubbish then the art'll look naff on it... you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear! :lol::wink2:

Ironically though I felt I finally mastered smile lines whilst working with glitter powders! :eek:

Glitter tips are probably the most popular 'art' nail and the basic skill of a smile line is still required.
Smile lines are easier with glitter powders (in my opinion) therefore can build up your confidence, then go back to white powder with that confidence and perfect the skill.
Therefore that can be incorporated into a beginners course near the end, which instills a bit of creativity and fun, whilst still working on the basics...but 3D is just a step too far!

Absolutely couldn't agree more and i love this saying! I will be quoting this alot :lol: x

Lol

I would be pleased with semi smooth floorboards at the moment. Nail art?? What's that!! About a million light years away for me xx. On a serious note what a super thread. I've been with CND since may and was panicking big time that I'm still getting problems here and there. Now I'm not worried thanks guys xxxx

I completely know where your coming from - i'm still mastering my basics, after 3 years of spoiling my friends and family, Im still perfecting my application and blending lol. It is quite scary when you see these pics of nail art/3d nails it makes me feel somewhat panicked that I need to up my game :/ but I am however not the artiest of nail techs ;) and Ill be happy once i create a stunning set of pink and white enhancements:) great thread by the way xx

Ironically though I felt I finally mastered smile lines whilst working with glitter powders! :eek:

Glitter tips are probably the most popular 'art' nail and the basic skill of a smile line is still required.
Smile lines are easier with glitter powders (in my opinion) therefore can build up your confidence, then go back to white powder with that confidence and perfect the skill.
Therefore that can be incorporated into a beginners course near the end, which instills a bit of creativity and fun, whilst still working on the basics...but 3D is just a step too far!

I'm so glad you've said this! I'm not really into nail art as such as I think it can look a little tacky personally, but I have been asked for glitter tips, which had me in a panic a bit because I still haven't quite mastered consistently good smile lines with white powder. I'm doing a practice set on my sister tomorrow so hopefully it will help me on the way!

I'm so glad you've said this! I'm not really into nail art as such as I think it can look a little tacky personally, but I have been asked for glitter tips, which had me in a panic a bit because I still haven't quite mastered consistently good smile lines with white powder. I'm doing a practice set on my sister tomorrow so hopefully it will help me on the way!

There are allot more ways (and better ways) of doing glitter tips than using L&P to do it, and using your basic skills to do it (which I still use). Learn your basics and you can do anything. I swear that someone could drop me in Timbuktu with my L&P and I could do any kind of nail because I know my basic skills. :lol:

Lol

I would be pleased with semi smooth floorboards at the moment. Nail art?? What's that!! About a million light years away for me xx. On a serious note what a super thread. I've been with CND since may and was panicking big time that I'm still getting problems here and there. Now I'm not worried thanks guys xxxx

Whilst this site is fab it's also bad because u see the quality of the nails people produce and people automatically think there's should be at this standard and sometimes forget the people doing these amazing nails have done it for a lot longer then a few months or a few years, I kno I did at first but now I've realised it's not the case and practice is the only way to get better and improve ur skill!

BUT to have a huge chunk of a beginners course given over to it, actually seems unfair to you as a student.
Wouldn't this time have been better spent troubleshooting, sorting out any lifting issues, and teaching proper maintenance, infills and rebalances.
Yes, it was very unfair. I came away from college feeling pretty confident, I was probably the most dedicated for practical work in the class and the tutors were all pleased with my efforts, enough so that I did one of them their wedding nails...:eek::rolleyes: ..then I got into the big wide world of nails and felt like I was starting all over again!

Even now I fret about doing someone their nails for a wedding as I'm a tip user and know that they don't look technically right - we were never taught pink & whites, opaque powder was never even mentioned so I've just perfected what I know and plan to go onto making the nails look correct!

As for learning infills and re-balances, none of the nails we ever did lasted until a week later for an infill, never mind re-balance.

My assessment for infills was done on a set of nails that one of the other girls in class had done on herself the day before!!!!:eek: She'd done them chunky and far too close to the skin but I refined the shape and passed them off as an infill.. I didn't even put any extra acrylic on the nails - that's how much attention our tutor paid!

This is part of the reason why im starting out offering only Manicure with Nail art. Luckily Im very artistic anyway so im not finding the Art side difficult at all and I get ALOT of people notice and ask about my Nails! Not a single day goes by without at least one comment. They are even more suprised when I say I do them myself!
Now im desperate to get out there and start mobile but havent yet because I do not feel confident in basic manicure (even though im qualified in Beauty Therapy and have practiced on loads of family and friends) so im booked on a training course on 8th December to help me.

I do feel very very lucky because I stumbled on some photos last night of my local Beauty Therapists Nails and nail art on the internet and to be honest, my 3 year old can do bettter! There was no prep work done at all, cuticles were all over the place, nails not straight, paint all over the skin that hadnt been cleaned before photographs and the art was SO basic, it looked like she had no idea what she was meant to be doing art wise.

I think people are too keen to jump in just to give the client what they want without really thinking about the basics and possibly even thinking that maybe nail art is a way to not do the basics?

I cant comment on enhancements because Im not trained in them but do admit I plan to take an Acrylic sculpture course next year so I can do 3D nail art, but I do not intend to offer 3D work until I am fully competant in basic acrylic sculpture.

Good question OP.

I suppose there's nail art and then there's nail art.

So a few basic stipes and gems as part of a manicure wouldn't be the same as combining textured things (glitter, mylar flakes etc) with gel and/or acrylic.

I guess that's what i love about nail art...a basic design can look really good but there's plenty of scope to take it further if that's what you and/or your clients want :)

ETA: I just wanted to add that I find nail art easier than creating a natural look....like regarding extensions I think I am much better at creating a desing than doing a natural nail...I feel the same about my polishing in the context of manped too.

I think part of the whole story is that so many new techs were attracted into the industry by the beautiful coloured and artistic nails we see today. I wonder how many would not have been so interested if it had not been for the bling? It is understandable then why so many rush to that stage rather than learning the art that is producing a perfect nail first.:wink2:

Personally, I only have two clients who regularly want nailart of any kind. Everyone else just wants natural looking or painted nails that don't lift or chip. Maybe nailart is more popular in different areas of the country or world.

I found everything you said really interesting and relatable to read.

I feel that I am strong at nail art and still just about getting there with regards to natural looking nails.

In terms of looking for salon employment, I feel that my skills (and the bits I might lack in a bit) would best lend themselves to a salon where they have a younger clientelle who want something loud and snazzy looking rather than somewhere more upmarket with an older clientelle who want a more natural look.

In this respect, I notice that in some parts of Manchester there are nail bars that appeal to a younger clientelle on a budget (not NSS!) and I think this is where a lot of techs who are more keen and able at nail art would fit in.

I agree that to be a fantastic nail tech you need to be fantastic at everything. This is a goal that I'm keen to reach with loooooads of practice. Currently though, I think I am helping myself by admitting where my strengths and weaknesses lie.

There are allot more ways (and better ways) of doing glitter tips than using L&P to do it, and using your basic skills to do it (which I still use). Learn your basics and you can do anything. I swear that someone could drop me in Timbuktu with my L&P and I could do any kind of nail because I know my basic skills. :lol:

How would you do it may I ask? I have read your Ruby Red slipper tutorial and was going to do it this way (although not stiletto!) but if there's a better way than l&p I'd love to know.

Last edited:
How would you do it may I ask? I have read your Ruby Red slipper tutorial and was going to do it this way (although not stiletto!) but if there's a better way than l&p I'd love to know.

These days do 99% of glitter tips on enhancements using Shellac. Very simple .. very quick .. and very easy to remove when the client wants to change colour.

Why do people want to do 'permanent' when the clients do not want it permanent?? They want to change each time. With Shellac (or polish) ZIP its on and ZIP its off and on to a new colour. Affordable too.

Thank you, funnily enough I've just read another thread about doing glitter tips with Gelish (which is what I use), might have a go at this tomorrow, I'm due a re-do :)

This is how I am practicing at the moment, on plastic fingers and sculpting with some old cheap l&p and crushed shells and some glitter to get my smile lines right. I have terrible delusions of grandeur sometimes and think I am the best nail tech ever then I wake up lol.xx

This is how I am practicing at the moment, on plastic fingers and sculpting with some old cheap l&p and crushed shells and some glitter to get my smile lines right. I have terrible delusions of grandeur sometimes and think I am the best nail tech ever then I wake up lol.xx

Plastic fingers are good for practise, but I always think you should practise with the products you would use on a client, to get the feel for them. Working with cheap products for practise could be counter productive as they will have a different feel and workability to premium products.

Would you believe I have never managed to get to grips with crushed shell on tips...always ended up too thick!
I ended up pouring some into a pestle and mortar and grinding them down then using them !!

Actually your right because the last time I did a full set my beads were too big and product was running down the forms and it set too quickly. :Scared: I am going to use my Ez flow products tonight with crushed shells.xx

Latest posts

Back