Walk before you run?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
When I started nails there was just sculpted nails or tips, either natural or forever french. That was it :eek:
Shapes were Square, soft square or oval.

Then there was glitter powders and eventually opaque cover pinks to create extended nail beds.
Then stiletto nails started appearing in magazines showcasing fabulous nail art. Pipe, Edge, Lipstick all sorts of nail shapes with all sorts of designs.

Fantasy nails and 3D nail art also hit the Industry.

Throughout all of this I have kept up to date, doing various Design Courses, Inspire Workshops downloading step by steps and of course checking out peoples work on here ;)

Those early years, were when I learned to create a beautiful balanced nail enhancement. It took longer than I thought, blending tips, keeping my application smooth, consistent sharp smile lines and coping with any shape/size nail that sat down in front of me.

Only with this experience behind me did I move on to the next level of art & design on my nail enhancements.

I know 3D work can help you to understand how your product sets and help with ratio and timing issues...BUT I can't help but think that sometimes people are in too much of a hurry to get to these FUN things and are not concentrating on the basics!

Have things changed so much in this Industry that Nail Art and 3D work are considered basics to be taught on beginners courses?
OR
Are these still advanced techniques, to be learned once the true basics are mastered.

I look forward to hearing your views.

Have things changed so much in this Industry that Nail Art and 3D work are considered basics to be taught on beginners courses?
I think the problem is that a lot of clients (certainly the case in my area) are wanting something different, funky and fresh and if the salon down the road is doing it they'd go there rather than having a 'boring' French with someone who isn't arty!

For me though, I use a lot of fancy tips so that gives people a bit of variety, I also spruce up natural & white tips with a bow or gems etc. I am now feeling much more confident in the look of the nails I produce and also their durability that I actually feel I could go onto the 'next step' and learn some proper art!

I see so many pictures of wonderful art on the most hideous nails - these are obviously people who've run before they can walk and I didn't want to make the same mistake.

I agree! I've been doing nails for 3 and a half years now and i still stick to the basics i was taught... the forever french salon nail has i feel i haven't mastered them fully yet. I do however do glitter tips on clients and the odd stiletto on myself but thats about it has far has it goes.

Good thread! :)

I believe in the walk before you run principle.

How on earth can anyone manage 3d etc... if they haven't mastered basic brush control, wet/dry ratio and permanent french's?

A friend asked me if I was including nail art in the course I'm putting together. I said 'not for beginners' and then I said "You need to learn to walk before you run or trip over a pot-hole'

And honestly, even if someone is good at art; the art just looks CRAP if it's on CRAP nails that don't have nice shape and consistency.

Just my 2 cents.

Funny how different areas differ, clients would prefer to come to me (who does the boring french) rather than get the arty stuff which can sometimes look rather chavy (in some cases) I do offer Konad and a little free hand but i only get requests for the ring fingers x
I think the problem is that a lot of clients (certainly the case in my area) are wanting something different, funky and fresh and if the salon down the road is doing it they'd go there rather than having a 'boring' French with someone who isn't arty!

For me though, I use a lot of fancy tips so that gives people a bit of variety, I also spruce up natural & white tips with a bow or gems etc. I am now feeling much more confident in the look of the nails I produce and also their durability that I actually feel I could go onto the 'next step' and learn some proper art!

I see so many pictures of wonderful art on the most hideous nails - these are obviously people who've run before they can walk and I didn't want to make the same mistake.

Funny how different areas differ, clients would prefer to come to me (who does the boring french) rather than get the arty stuff which can sometimes look rather chavy (in some cases) I do offer Konad and a little free hand but i only get requests for the ring fingers x

i often find some designs and themes very chavvy x

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

I remember years ago, when I was learning airbrushing etc. that I did an accounts comparison and only 4% of my income came from nail art.

It is like building a house, if the foundations are not good then who cares about the fancy curtains!

If you are not confident at doing the boring stuff (if that is what you find boring) and making fabulous nails, then the art is not going to cover it and make it better.

I suppose that every tech will attract there own clientele based on their work, some may like 'chavvy' or really blingy. I may stick to a boring french but i do think that i do a forever french well. I tend to attract the older clientelle who prefere i more classy look, which i prefere has i feel they are more regular clients and more reliable in my experience. :)
i often find some designs and themes very chavvy x

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

I don't do any nail art because I am rubbish at it. What I am good at thought is a well-structured, well-balanced set of nails that look good and last. My 'doing something different' for people involves glitter and colour - either all over or on the tip and that seems to keep my more adventurous clients happy......

I think way too many new tech's see a beautiful well-structured french enhancement as 'boring' and are definitely in too much of a rush to move on to other things at the detriment of their core skills.

Good thread!

Absolutely couldn't agree more and i love this saying! I will be quoting this alot :lol: x
I remember years ago, when I was learning airbrushing etc. that I did an accounts comparison and only 4% of my income came from nail art.

It is like building a house, if the foundations are not good then who cares about the fancy curtains!

If you are not confident at doing the boring stuff (if that is what you find boring) and making fabulous nails, then the art is not going to cover it and make it better.

I did think the Industry was changing and leaning towards more Nail Art, but I just wanted to see if I am being old fashioned in that I think of this as an add on advanced course rather than something to be done right at the beginning.

I still think it is vital firstly to get the nails to stay on ! and secondly to look balanced.
THEN see about how they can be embellished.

I would love to be working in your area EmilyS as my clientel are not fans of nail art (so far ;) ) and I need to keep my skills up in this area by using tips etc, maybe this will change at Christmas though!!

I am still very new to all things nails and although I am fairly pleased with some of my work I am still no where near as good as someone who has been doing this for many years!

I would like to do some more nail art but and I stress but I certainly wouldnt look into do any kind of course until I was far more confident with the nails I produce and get the practice that I need to achieve this.

I have seen some work where a tip and overlay has been applied and the nail polish and some kind of nail art ontop of that. Personally if I was paying for extensions I wouldn't want all of that on top and it then makes me wonder what the work underneath the polish looks like!! Maybe me being a bit critical and probably in no postion to critise others work but it does make me wonder lol

Having thought about it, included in my NSI College Course was a full section for 3D Nail Art, there was quite a big chunk of our time spent making ridiculous 3D objects, looking back they were hideous but we had to put them on show & into a competition! So yes, I think the industry (in some parts) IS pushing it, having said that, I've not done a single bit of 3D since I left college - I buy the arty bits myself now.

I am taking my time!! Trying to master nails and build up a clientele, I am in this for the long haul so no need to rush. I have seen beautiful nails on here and on the net and I would love to be that creative but yes I have to get the basics right first.:lol:xx

At this moment in time I'm happy that my last gel client still has her nails on after 2 weeks :)

I do mess around with arty stuff on tips, BUT I am much more interested in getting that perfect polish ( dark colours are killing me!) and also perfecting nail shapes.

As already said, what good is fancy stuff on a rubbish nail?

I have been wondering about this recently too. There seems to have been a number of threads and photos over the last few weeks (and I'm not knocking anyone) where nail art, glitters, 3D stuff, extreme shapes etc. have been attempted where basic skills are lacking.

Helping to create the perfect natural nail or crafting the perfect enhancement must be our first skills, surely?

A perfectly manicured and shaped natural or perfectly balanced and constructed enhanced nail is our canvass. Everything else should come second.

Years ago, I was admiring the amazing freehand nailart of another tech. I remarked that I could never produce such incredible art. She said she could never produce the natural looking enhancements I did! I just couldn't understand how she ran a business that way. As it happens, she is no longer a nail tech!

Personally, I only have two clients who regularly want nailart of any kind. Everyone else just wants natural looking or painted nails that don't lift or chip. Maybe nailart is more popular in different areas of the country or world.

Last edited:
Omg i am so glad you started this! I was so worried about putting an album on my profile of the nails i did because i dont do nail art.

Iv got regular clients now who love my nails so im enjoying that confidence boost at the minute,then maybe next year or the year after even i will take a course in nail art. Xx

Sent from my X10i

I'm currently learning at the moment with nail harmony who offer different durations for course ie 4/5 day intensive or the course over 20 weeks, it does include nail art but not until the end of the course I find the beauty in the way they have done the 20 weeks is that we learn one thing then have the full week to practice, still by no means is this going to get me to any top tech standard but feel its pointing me in the right direction by not rushing me as much. I have been naughty and had a little play with the 3d art on myself and my smile lines aren't amazing at the moment but I guess there's so many things available in the industry that sometimes a newbie can feel they have to get everything down straight away. We've just been shown how to complete a full pink and white but i know my main goal is try and create a well balanced and long lasting enhancement I suppose everyone's different but I agree u need to master the basics as said but in Sheffield so many ppl visit NSS places for art etc that unfortunately u need to b able to provide that in order to obtain a vast majority of the business, which is sad as techs feel like they have to do this in order to compete with the demand for it, but like mentioned what use is art on a not so good nail?! sometimes it's a catch 22 situation, but completely agree with the OP in order to survive and do a good job basics have to down to a T which i intend to do before i offer any treatments to the general public. Good thread great to see others response.

Having thought about it, included in my NSI College Course was a full section for 3D Nail Art, there was quite a big chunk of our time spent making ridiculous 3D objects, looking back they were hideous but we had to put them on show & into a competition! So yes, I think the industry (in some parts) IS pushing it, having said that, I've not done a single bit of 3D since I left college - I buy the arty bits myself now.

Don't get me wrong I love 3D work,I admire the skill and artistry it takes, and as I said before it does give you a better understanding of mix ratios and curing times.

BUT to have a huge chunk of a beginners course given over to it, actually seems unfair to you as a student.
Wouldn't this time have been better spent troubleshooting, sorting out any lifting issues, and teaching proper maintenance, infills and rebalances.
These are the core skills that build a business and help you earn a living from nails.
Or do some of these courses just think you are just 'playing' at being a nail tech???

It seems this thread is convincing me that my initial thoughts are right!

I often think about this too.
Sometimes I'll be going through a gallery, here or on facebook and I'll be admiring the nails until I come accross a set of forever french that are just pants and I feel they're letting themselves down.

I think it is important to master the basics and be good at them first, a good tech should be able to do a good set of forever french in my opinion.
I also think a good set of Forever french is the hardest thing to master- a real skill and when done well they are beautiful and timeless in my opinion, not boring.
I am most impressed when a set of Forever french wow me and i've seen many that do.... and many that so dont!

I am still working at getting the good Forever french so dont really venture much into art.
I experiment on myself sometimes when I'm bored but mostly I wear Forever french on myself for the practice and for my clients I only really offer Natural, Forever french or glitter for the exact reason that i dont want to run before I walk.

If the nails under the art are rubbish then the art'll look naff on it... you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear! :lol::wink2:

Latest posts

Back