Want to offer spray tans... bought a gun and compressor, now confused!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dete101

Reaction score
HI I wondered if anyone could please give me some advice on spray tanning! I've been a therapist for 10 yrs and had a break from beauty for 3 yrs whilst I had a baby. Just in September of last year I've set up business again and just slowly building things up. Obviously now is the season for spray tans, so just last week I bought a st tropez compressor and gun from a friend of a friend. I paid £400 for it, so am wondering if this is too much???? I keep hearing about these HVLP machines, and today went to the beauty show in Olympia and saw these machines there, so now am wondering if I've done a silly thing buying the compressor and gun??? Can I still do a good tan with what I've bought? Should I stick the one I've just bought on ebay and try and buy one of these other machines???? I can't believe how much things have changed in 3 yrs lol!!!! How things date so quickly!!!

Also, I've always used St tropez in the past and now realise there is a whole new market on spray tanning, today I heard about sienna x, celebrity secrets, (which they have given me samples.. can I just use any exfoliator and moisturiser with them... anyone recommend any basic ones?) , also hearing about xen-tan and tantrick??? Which ones would you recommend? I live in Surrey so I know I could charge £25 for a tan here, (most salons do in this area), so want a good one I can get away with charging that price for. I'd appreciate any advice. Many thanks

TANTRICK!

I would always recommend buying a machine from a company thats gonna give you warranty for the machine and good customer service. You need to think about if it brakes down, a friend of a friend or ebay isn't gonna fix it for you or send you a replacement.

Do a search on here, ring about for samples and see for your self who's the best!

xx

HI Gemma, I do agree with what you say, but the machine I have bought is really ok, my friend is a really good friend and this person who was selling the machine is literally giving up as she is now pregnant. She had 2 machines, one for home use and the other at her salon, I've just bought the one she used at home as she really doesn't use it any more. I'm just more concerned with the fact that it might be old now???? These HVLP ones seem to be the latest ones so is the gun and compressor I've bought gonna be a waste of time??? Or can I still use it and do a good service? Thanks

what machine have you actually got?

ladies...if your going to do it...do it properly..this is a buisness venture your entering into and you realy only get out what you put in :hug:

Ok so youve gone and done what youve gone and done so lets look forward from here.

First port of call...get some training and certification as you will need this for your insurance...lots of companies do it..speak with the company you are looking top train with about your rescent machine purchases and will they still train you..see if they will test this equipment for you also.

secondly...call all the liquid suppliers and get samples in to find the one you like.

Thirdly..get your buisness off the ground and reinvest your income into the latest machines out there.

So ladies ..lots yet for you to do so start by letting them fingers of yours do the walking and talk to some manufactueres /training companies.
Good luck and I am sure with the ight support behind you all will end well for you :hug:

hi,
just to let you know that if you set up an account with st. tropez they will still service and repair your machine even if it is second hand.
plus you will have the advantage of ordering the products at half the retail costs and in larger sizes.
obviously if you have an account you will want to sell their exfoliants etc as you will prob stock them, and the products do work better together,
but advising your clients to exfoliate before a tan is sufficient on your part, all scrubs are quite alike.
Also wanted to add that every salon i know still uses a gun, whether its in a room with compressor or built into the airport st.tropez booth, or other booth.
if you do open an account you will get training free anyway, if not carry on with what you already know...
good luck xxxxxx

hi hun, I asked Collin this very same question and the reply I got from him was its not a problem to use a gun its just slower so if you have lots of tans to do then its worth investing in one of the new tanning systems but it like me it every now and then and the machine is also being used for nail art then its fine.
My intention when money permits is to upgrade and include a pop up tent so that I can do tanning parties but the friends and family that I have practiced on to date have had good results with the gun.
So the question is, how often will you tan?

to be honest( and i always am!!)

i have been looking into tanning, researching it etc for over a year
i went with TANTRICK
and can not fault their customer service one iota!!!
the machine i have is great
the liquids are to die for the training is fantastic
the ongoing customer care is sooo helpful

do you want me to go on??????

if i were you , i would start from scratch and get a new machine, training etc etc

hth xx

Come on this is a business you're trying to run so why waste your money on a new machine when you already have a perfectly good one already. So what if there are more up to date machines out there, this doesn't mean they provide a better tan. They may be quicker but if you are trained in tanning application the result will be exactly the same. So it takes you 10 mins to do a full body compare to 5mins with HVLP guns, surely you can put up with this untill you become established in your business.

Another thing to consider is how many tans you'll be doing, some of the smaller compressors can over heat if you're doing one tan after another. something to think about. I have a small 2000 compressor from SUDO designed for the mobile businesses.

Research your tanning solution and get some training and you're away.

Come on this is a business you're trying to run so why waste your money on a new machine when you already have a perfectly good one already. So what if there are more up to date machines out there, this doesn't mean they provide a better tan. They may be quicker but if you are trained in tanning application the result will be exactly the same. So it takes you 10 mins to do a full body compare to 5mins with HVLP guns, surely you can put up with this untill you become established in your business.

Another thing to consider is how many tans you'll be doing, some of the smaller compressors can over heat if you're doing one tan after another. something to think about. I have a small 2000 compressor from SUDO designed for the mobile businesses.

Research your tanning solution and get some training and you're away.

Time is money!

Wow, what can I say... thankyou for all your replies. Firstly, I am qualifed in St Tropez, the machine I have bought is the iwata gun with compressor, its for the st tropez air. As I say I used to have an account with them years ago when I had my business in Hampshire, but since moving 3 yrs ago and having the baby, time has moved on, so coming back into the beauy business, things have changed. I have already got samples of the sienna x, and celebrity secrets, so will contact tantrick, and get a sample from them, and will decide I think from these. I already know St tropez so don't need to sample them. I was really thinking about changing as st tropez is really expensive compared to other companies, and they all seem to give the same results. So I think I'll see how I get on with my gun and compressor, to be honest as I do other treatments tanning isn't going to be the main treatment I do so to begin with it'll be ok. Thanks again for all your replies.

Karen

beauty-within.webs.com

Wow, what can I say... thankyou for all your replies. Firstly, I am qualifed in St Tropez, the machine I have bought is the iwata gun with compressor, its for the st tropez air. As I say I used to have an account with them years ago when I had my business in Hampshire, but since moving 3 yrs ago and having the baby, time has moved on, so coming back into the beauy business, things have changed. I have already got samples of the sienna x, and celebrity secrets, so will contact tantrick, and get a sample from them, and will decide I think from these. I already know St tropez so don't need to sample them. I was really thinking about changing as st tropez is really expensive compared to other companies, and they all seem to give the same results. So I think I'll see how I get on with my gun and compressor, to be honest as I do other treatments tanning isn't going to be the main treatment I do so to begin with it'll be ok. Thanks again for all your replies.

Karen

beauty-within.webs.com

PM me your details hun and i will get you a Tantrick sample out in the post. xx

HI Gemma, I've contacted Tantrick and got samples on way! One thing I wanted to ask, with St Tropez you obviously exfoliate first, then moisturise hands, feet, elbows etc before you tan, is that the same rule for tantrick? what moisturiser would you recommend as I don't any st tropez one left. Obviously if I like it, I'll open an account and get it all properly but just to try a sample which one would be good??? I am a dermalogica salon so wondering if there is anything from the range I could use??? none of their products are perfumed. Thanks Karen

You need to shower, exfoliate and moisturise the day before a tantrick tan,
on the day of the tan no deodorant, no perfume, no make up, and no moisturiser,
it contains aloe vera so you don't need to moisturise on the day, not even knees, ankle or palms,
just don't spray your palms, :lol: hth

But shower the day of your tan to remove any product thats left on your skin.

Any moisturiser will do, i just use a Nivia one. Try and not go for a one that is too oily tho'.

Let me know if you want any more info.

xx

Latest posts

Back