waxing children??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hug::hug:
I am so glad you have said all this hun
It is up to the individual whether they wax or not.
Personally I would rather wax and make sure it is done properly rather than say no and the girl to go an cut her self to ribbons with a razor and risk infection and scarring.

In the 2 years I have been waxing my daughter her hair is coming in finer and thinner which alone is a big boost to her confidence.

I agree!

I was too an early developer and got bullied at school. My dads maltese and I am hairy as hell! my mum was a beauty devotee but would never let me shave. I too took to dads razor and butchered my legs! at 15 i got my first wax and it changed my life! I only wish then I was brave enough to have a hollywood but then I thought I was weird because I shaved and waxed everything off and thought I was the only one, until about 8 years ago when everyone started talking about the brazilian!

My children are 7 and 5 and I wax their mono brows. They are fine with it and ask me to do it.

They also know I wax everything off! If i get hair down there they tell me to go wax asap!

I would not hesitate for one minute to wax my own children if thats what they want! I did try waxing my youngests back as its really hairy but she didnt like it so I wont do it again unless she asks!

I do a lot of young girls eyebrows from age 11. I always get a parents permission and have their parent sit in on the treatment. I do not over wax, i only shape them naturally and refuse to do thin eyebrows etc for the sake of fashion. If the child does not want me to do it I flatly refuse as at the end of the day its their body and their choice not their parents.

I have teenagers in also for leg and bikini waxing etc, but again its with both the childs and parents consent. If they are too uncomfortable I stop!

I do a full consultation prior to treatment and always ask the parents to consult the doctors if the hair growth is unnaturally excessive.

It is personal choice, but whether your 12 or 40 appearence does matter especially on a society where looking good is forced upon us - and children are not immune to that!

How would you as an adult feel going to the Gym covered in excessive body hair and having to get undressed in a communual changing room?? Just because they are children in the eyes of the law does not mean that they do not have feelings or pride!

Waxing as a solution to make them feel better and not just physically but mentally, can also help with how they view and feel about their bodies in adulthood! Repressed feelings of hate towards your body in childhood can stay with people for life, whether its a simple case of hairy legs or obesity!

Interesing thread!

My daughter is 11, almost 12 and looks about 15.. she is very developed for her age! started her periods in Junior school and now wears a bra, make up, straightens her hair etc.. Now, i'm sure she has been at my razor but she tells me she's cut her leg hairs off with scissors because they are all hairy and she hates it!! might have cut it off elsewhere for all I know? :eek:

I told her for goodness sake DONT shave her arms etc as i'm sure she'd do that too! I said if she was that bothered about it get it waxed off but she said NO WAY! she didn't think she'd be able to stand the pain! I warned her that once you start you have to keep it up but she wont listen, her hair isn't that noticable but she knows it's there and it bothers her.

Thought about letting her use a lady shave type thing at least she wont cut herself to ribbons with that! I remember scarring my legs when I first started shaving as I always managed to cut myself quite badly, that's the only reason I dont want her doing it, her age is irrelevant to me...

I personally feel 9 is a little young, but like most of the other therapists who have answered here, as long as you're satisfied it's not medical, and you have her mother's permission, in theory, I don't really see a problem.

HOWEVER!! don't let her mum leave the treatment room!! Because she's a minor, I'm sure it's a legal minefield if you're alone in the room with her...

Also, a little note from personal experience... I had a girl of 11 in for her first leg wax a few years ago...her mum wanted to leave her with me while she went round town. I refused, and we "compromised" by her staying in reception while I did the treatment. (Would have insisted she stayed with me if it was to happen now!!). Anyway, I applied some wax down the length of her leg, and started to wax, just a little bit at a time...and she burst into tears. I asked her if she wanted me to stop, and she said no, because her mum would be cross with her...so I waxed off what little wax was left on her leg, and I told her mother I refused to carry on...and the mother had a go at me, and told me I was incompetent, and how dare I make her child cry!!!!

So, just make sure it's not the mother who wants her to have the treatment done more than the child. Because your first waxing treatment isn't always pain free, and children that young aren't equipped to deal with discomfort like that.

Yes always have the parent in the room with you if their under 16! Covers your back in this blame and claim society!

Why not just suggest something a little more safer than a razor and kinder than the wax. Whats wrong with the good old epilator? My sister had to buy her 9 year old one for Christmas. She started puberty young and it was mainly her underarms, but being so young she was terribly embarrassed.
It just seems cruel for a young child like this to have to go through puberty so soon, never mind the overnight transition from child to woman and I'm sure we can all remember how this felt. But, if the child is willing and it's not her parent that is making the decision for her AND you are adequately insured, I suppose the welfare of the child is the most important. But only as long as she is aware of all the options available to her and then she can make an informed choice.
Poor love....
Claire x

I think 9 is really young but if the child wants it done and you have consent from the mother and are covered by insurance then I suppose it would be ok as long as there was not a medical condition so maybe a letter from the GP as well would be a good idea.

Girls are developing a lot younger now. My daughter is 12 and was shaving her underarms, she found the epilator too painful but when I started my Beauty Therapy Course and waxing, I asked her if I could practice on her and she was fine about it and she now prefers it to shaving.

My husband is Italian and my daughter has very dark and coarse hair. I've been waxing her top lip, mono-brow and lower arms since she was 10 and her legs got waxed not long after that. I held off for as long as I could as I (wrongly thought then that waxing would increase hair growth), but she started getting comments at school and I wasn't prepared to let her suffer if I could do something to help (It comes with the job of being a mother !) I bought a home wax kit and did it for her for a few years before taking it up as a career :biggrin:
She's now 17 and the hair has reduced quite a lot. She eternally grateful for wax (and since I've discovered it, Perron Rigot - thanks Andy & Kim) and I'm pleased that I could help her.
I think that with each individual case, common sense should prevail - but with the public, cover your back & get a disclaimer signed.

Latest posts

Back